Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake clothes charites.

• 20-10-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else had it up to "here" with these fake clothes collections?

I've been collecting the various scammers leaflets, and I just phoned 6 numbers none of which worked, quell surprise.

clicky

What to the fakers do with any clothes that are collected?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

they take anything thats half decent and thrown the rest in your neighbours garden.
    i also have a sneaking suspicion that they use the lefalets to find empty houses.
    we were housesitting for the gf's parents for a few weeks and every day a new leaflet was stuck in the letter box
    they never seemed to puch them all the way through.
    i seen a few of them spending unsual amounts of time in the gardens of some houses.
    they all seem to be young roma teenagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I love them, haven't bought a binbag in months.

Though some just give stickers now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

In Limerick, two companies dropping in the leaflets got named in the local press for selling the clothes at stalls in the local market on a Saturday morning.

There seems to be daily leaflets arriving, even on Sundays, and like an earlier poster has said, many spent an odd amount of time in front gardens and looking in front windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Is there any way of putting a stop to this?
    Surely there is some law prohibiting this.

I don't mind the ones with bags, because they're just used afor rubbish.

Also, is there any way of checking whether or not the charities are real?
    Some give registered charity numbers and i'd like to know if they are real or not.

I have one here with a UK phone number on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

You'll also get people (as far as I've heard) who drive around and pick up clothes left out for genuine charities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

English ones can be checked (Google). Irish charities have a CHYxxxxxx number.

There is literally millions to be made from the scam - a lot of the clothes used to end up North and sold for recycling or second hand clothing. As a Kess73 stated, some were done for selling them in the markets in Limerick and, IIRC, one or two were caught in Cork in the last year or so.

I love the last one in the door: "Beware bogus of collectors"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Terry each leaflet I have came with a number, each number was "not in use". Which tells its own story. I guess they assume people just won't bother checking. The www. on one ended in a 404.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

micmclo wrote: »
    I love them, haven't bought a binbag in months.

Though some just give stickers now :mad:

Never understand this, all that I have seen have small holes in them, what state is your bin in? Does it garbage liquid not drip when you take it out?

Unless you double bag, would reduce but not eliminate it.

Anyhow, haven't gotten nearly as many bags as months ago, just the stickers.

Karoma wrote: »
    English ones can be checked (Google). Irish charities have a CHYxxxxxx number.

There is literally millions to be made from the scam - a lot of the clothes used to end up North and sold for recycling or second hand clothing. As a Kess73 stated, some were done for selling them in the markets in Limerick and, IIRC, one or two were caught in Cork in the last year or so.

I love the last one in the door: "Beware bogus of collectors"
    The ones I have in front of me have C Reg No. xxxxxx
    Not CHY.
    Some are just numbers and some have a letter at the end.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Terry each leaflet I have came with a number, each number was "not in use". Which tells its own story. I guess they assume people just won't bother checking. The www. on one ended in a 404.

Mike.
    Was the web one a yellow one for orphans?

I checked that out and it led to a Lithuanian site.
    The owner also owns 84 other domains.

Yep, its the front leaflet in the picture.

84 domains, someone is very busy.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Has anyone ever tried putting a bag out with all the leaflets on it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try sticking your rubbish in the bag. Free waste disposal is a rare thing in this day and age.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they sell them to the red cross and other such charities!

i have checked all their vat numbers and charitabe status numbers surprise suprise, they are all fake but the bags come in really handy, i would be lost with out them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

some of them are scum. some are the unwanted element of ethnic minorities, the rest tend to be a combination of the two. dodgy english ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

this has pictures of some interesting looking characters doing their leaflet deliveries
    http://ocaoimh.ie/2006/11/13/do-not-delay-how-to-spot-a-fake-charity-flyer/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

All the ones doing it around my way are Lithuanians, remember this thread anyone ??

Typical sticker here with typical .LT domain , it will not work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Every sticker we get in the college house goes on the back of the cool-press(i dont know what its supposto be, like a hot-press without the hot, in the hall) door, have a nice little collection going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

you could stuff it with stuff you dont want in it, the put dog poo in it, so when little mister roma man comes to collect it, he'll be all ''YAY'' or whatever they say in romainia, and then open it later and fall over due the smell of dog sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

some of these collectors sort the clothes. pick out the sellable items and dump the rest on genuine charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Woah! Folks, c'mon! If we're going to state with conviction that it's a particular minority behind it, we should exchange notes and agree on who it is that's behind it... Let the PM'ing commence between you all and let us know which minority is positively definitely behind it and exactly how it fits into their plans for world domination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

At least when they do go for world domination, they'll have some decent threads on them :D

It's crazy the number of fliers that come through my letterbox. At the moment they're at the rate of three or four a week. The worst thing is that they're hurting the Oxfams of this world because it's easier for people to chuck out stuff they don't want anymore (but is still in decent condition) into a plastic bag that's going to be collected from their door than to bundle it up and go to a charity shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Try sticking your rubbish in the bag. Free waste disposal is a rare thing in this day and age.
    Fad wrote: »
    you could stuff it with stuff you dont want in it, the put dog poo in it, so when little mister roma man comes to collect it, he'll be all ''YAY'' or whatever they say in romainia, and then open it later and fall over due the smell of dog sh1te

Clever Idea. You'll basically have a pissed-off scam artist standing outside your empty house with a bag full of rubbish/pooh. What could possibly go wrong?

It's a very annoying thing that seems to have mushroomed in the last few years, but I don't think you'll find the word charity on the leaflets anywhere - these lads are too cute to break the law. Best off just to stick them in the bin.

Got another one today which was new to me, they kindly included a website addy

http://www.clothingtheworld.com/

Mike.

That's a humdinger of a website!

Saw a van collecting the bags this morning.
    UK reg plates.

Terry wrote: »
    UK reg plates.

Did you throw stones?

No.
    I coughed up a huge lump of phlegm and spat at them.

I have to say, there must be a fair bit of money in it.
    It was a large van and was almost full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I was opening my front door when one of these scammers was putting a flyer in my post box (perfect timing), i tore it up in his face! Ha Ha! My neighbour regularly puts his doggy poo in these things along with clothes as well as a little note saying thanks for the free doggy waste disposal service. I'd love to see the look on their faces opening the bag!!

No.

It was a large van and was almost full.

Fraud squad should be onto this, they could all but wipe this out in jig time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there any way of putting a stop to this?
    Cant stop the leaflets, but instead just bring the clothes to the charity shops yourself. Even if I got an official oxfam bag in the door and was certain it was genuine, you have no way of knowing who is picking it up. I imagine these guys might get wind of it, and just collect before oxfam do.

Is there any way of putting a stop to this?Also, is there any way of checking whether or not the charities are real?
    Some give registered charity numbers and i'd like to know if they are real or not.
    I have heard there should be a full address and full landline phone number. There are a few sites showing fakes. It is simple to just make a fake oxfam bag though with all the right info and then collect- so best go to the shop as I said.

They showed this on bbc3 on "the real hustle". It says some goes to east europe and is sold in second hand stores. Some is sold in second hand stores as "antique clothing".

And just use them as free disposal service as mentioned. I have an old duvet I must get rid of, might wrap some other stuff up in it too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Enlighten us, oh wise one, as to the secrets of the money-laden phlegm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Not going to put the full details up but seems to be registered to some lithuanians living in

Gormanstown Co Meath, LT -
    IE

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭in_da_club

they sell them for money the b*****ds!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my mother leaves black bags of rubbish outside the door with the stickers on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Go to Kildare Town on any Thursday (market day) and you will see these "people" taking the clothes out of the bags, putting them on hangers and onto a clothes rail to sell.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We get a few of these leaflets in the door every week too. Occasionally they come with bags.

The bags are used for the bin, the leaflets get thrown out, but that said if I DO have clothes to get rid of I'll put them out. To be honest I don't really care where they end up or if someone's making a fortune out of it. As someone else said, as far as I'm concerned it's a free disposal service.

If you're that bothered about it, bring your old clothes to the charity shops directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

I did a few days delivering and collecting the yellow Celebral Palsy bags - in Howth where every driveway is a mile long and uphill - about 14 years ago now. Even in those days there were scummers going around stealing the bags :(

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Fraud squad should be onto this, they could all but wipe this out in jig time.

I was sitting watching these guys collecting the bags in my area when i saw a police car coming down. They drove right past them. When i saw the car coming back i went out and flagged them down. ~I said to the cop that those guys over there (pointed at them) are pretending to be a charity but are not. Why dont you go over and talk to them.
    The cop says to me 'We cant do that without proof'. Go over and ask them for the proof that they are a charity then.

He said he'll look into it and drove off. Never went near them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What really really pisses me off is that they deliver the stickers at unearthly hours in the morning (presumably so you cant tell them to f*ck off) and wake me up. 6am is not an uncommon time to hear them roll up, clatter the letterbox and slam the gate. Makes my blood boil. If I ever manage to get my ass out of bed at that time there will be hell to pay.

I cant even use the bags as we have pre paid rubbish bags :mad:

UK reg plates.

Get the reg no and report to these people http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageContactUs_CustomsConfidential

Next time they drive in the UK their vehicle will be searched.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement