Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick baby bearded dragon in pet shop

Options
  • 20-10-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

I posted about a petshop in Ireland about two weekends ago. Conditions for a lot of the animals have improved, but there is a little bearded dragon in there that looks sick. I noticed him last week or the week before, he was lying on the bottom of his cage, seemingly lifeless. When one of the guys opened the tank, threw in some crickets and rubbed the beardie on the back the little guy jumped up and became alert and started eyeing up the crickets.

Well, this weekend I saw him again lying seemingly lifeless in the cage. I asked if I could have a look at him and got to handle him, he was very inactive and listless. Definately looked dehydrated to me. When I said he was dehydrated one of the guys said that there's water in his tank which he can drink if he wants to.

Well, just because there's water in an reptile's tank doesn't mean they are drinking it or can even find it. I've seen a tank full of baby bearded dragons in a reptile shop with a full bowl of water in their tank. I noticed one baby was inactive and wasn't reacting much when its much livelier siblings climbed all over it. I pointed it out, they took it out, said it was dehydrated and that they would give it a bath. It was placed in a tub with shallow water, five minutes later the beardie had had a drink and was sitting up taking in its surroundings and looking like a healthy, happy beardie.

The beardie is this Athlone pet shop looked similiar to me, leading me to believe it could just be down to a simple case of dehydration and hopefully not something more sinister.

Also the little beardie is being kept on sand which was one of the causes of this sad case of another beardie kept on sand:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Exotic_Enthusiasts/index.php?showtopic=1498

Advertisement