Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto

Options
  • 20-10-2007 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am considering a 00 Punto 5 door 1.2 car. It is in very good condition very clean. Cost is 3,400 euro. Anyone know if that is a good price? I know its hard to say not seeing it but any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't think it's a good price at all. You could get a 00 Corolla for that money and Toyota's hold their value much better then fiats. Is it with a garage or private sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

model? mileage? condition? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

it is a garage sale. and sorry I meant to put mileage there are 50,000miles. Model not sure - door Punto

"You could get a 00 Corolla for that money and Toyota's hold their value much better then fiats" How much should I offer them?

Have not seen 00 reg corollas for that money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

you can get the same car a fair bit cheaper if you look around.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

You should be able to find something cheaper,
    I paid 2200 for a 00, 5door punto with 53k miles about 6 months ago

• Advertisement

mthd wrote: »
    You should be able to find something cheaper,
    I paid 2200 for a 00, 5door punto with 53k miles about 6 months ago

In good nick? Clean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

In good nick? Clean?

yeah, pretty much spotless

mthd wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much spotless

Good for you you think 220 might be an offer? They were allowing me 500 euro on my car and wanted 2950 as well. So waht shoulsd i offer with my car assuming my car is worth 500

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

have you driven one?
    I got driving lessons in one and didnt like it to drive, the seats are really soft and the steering too senstitive, just didnt feel right yknow, however the new ones are nicer but as the person above said they dont hold theyre money
    just my opinion though

still I suppose theyd get you around alright

I drove that one today and another older one last week. Much prefer the one today. I like the steering

Someone said a corolla would be got for the money they want for the Punto. But cbg,ie says average price for 00 Corolla is 5706 euro

• Advertisement

they have city steering, if you turn that off the steering isnt so light., personally id rather have the older punto, they look better and are more reliable than the mk2.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd avoid that model Punto like the plague - I know at least 5 people who had the same year and model and they all had problems with them - mostly electrical - a Fiesta would be your best bet IMO - just go for the Zetec engine - OK they're not the prettiest car in the world or the most comfortable but they're pretty reliable and can be got for around the same price.
    I wouldn't rely too much on "average" figures on CBG they're not gospel there are cars a lot cheaper than that average price on the site and Carzone so check them all and bear in mind most dealers will just want shut of these cars so there's a bit of room to haggle.

their not nearly as bad as people make them out to be, there was a few recalls on them and at that ages its most likely had everything sorted on it.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

Go for a VW polo instead. All things being equal you will probably want to change it after a year or so and with the vw you should not have any problems with it and more importantly should be easy to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

My sister paid 2800 for a 5 door 00 punto with 55k miles on it 2 years ago. she doesnt drive much at all (its usually just parked) and it was fine for the first year other than a few small things but then developed electrical problems which she still hasnt been able to fix (most mechanics dont deal with electrics and its expensive to get them fixed)

i paid 4000 for a 3 door 01 punto last feb (it has none of the fancy electrics - manual windows and locks). everyone though i was mad but it was taxed for a year just ncted only had 48k miles on it and a mechanic gave it the all clear so i bought it. never had an ounch of trouble with it. Its a great little car, very nippy for city driving and the city button is great. Its also very economical on petrol. I travel long journeys on it and ive never had any problems with it. I learned to drive in it and passd my test in it.

I wouldnt buy withut getting a mechanc to look at it though. Youd get a cheaper punto on private sale (try local newpapers or website)
    i was offered a 2002 punto last year for 2,800 but when a mechanic looked at it he could tell it had been crashed, the price was too good to be true !

Good luck with buying a car.

I think some 5 door puntos (2000 as far as i know) did have problems so maybe reseach this more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

3400 is a very expensive price.Look around.I got offered a 00 punto 2 months ago for only 2200 but i didnt take it as i got a better car instead.So there is bargains to be got.

Good luck with buying a car.

I think some 5 door puntos (2000 as far as i know) did have problems so maybe reseach this more.

not just the 5 dr, there are known to be common faults with both of them, one of them is the electric power steering can fail aswell as ECU/electric problems but as already said its likely that these problems have already occoured and been sorted,.,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

3,400 is a little pricey for the car, although the mileage is reasonable. I'd aim to offer a bit less (maybe start at E2,700 and work up from there) and see what happpens.

For the sake of comparison, I drive a 99 Punto (older body than the 00) which I bought for E1,800 with 55k miles on the clock. The salesman was looking for E2,100 but there was a problem with the alternator, so I got it for cheaper. I've had it just over a year, the clock is now over 80k miles and it's going fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think definitly the price is too much. a friend of mine was going to buy a 00 Fiat Punto, with a big enough scratch on the left rear hand door.... It was going for 1750 with 60,000ish miles.... And i'm sure they were in for bargainin...look around..

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=822659

That's only an example... But i would definitly reccomend buyin off a dealer... That way u have something to fall back on just in case:D

I think definitly the price is too much. a friend of mine was going to buy a 00 Fiat Punto, with a big enough scratch on the left rear hand door.... It was going for 1750 with 60,000ish miles.... And i'm sure they were in for bargainin...look around..

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=822659

That's only an example... But i would definitly reccomend buyin off a dealer... That way u have something to fall back on just in case:D

Thanks everyone for input

Limerick- man. That is a nice car but a private seller = no comeback and it is a 3 door.The one at http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=770230 is almost identical to the one I was looking at.

I do not understand the great variation in prices except it must be dealer profit. I am not going to pay 3450 anyway. Not sure if i will buy

• Advertisement

I tell u something for nothing, i work in a dealership and anything small is always "worth loads". most dealers will keep a big margin on something like a fiat incase it does come back for warranty work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

I had a '00, gave me nothing but grief. After replacing the shocks after a week, I had to get the Lambda sensor replaced, then the ECU had to be reset 4 times so as to let it know that the Lambda had been done, then the water pump was replaced as it leaked. Got the timing belt done at the same time as the car had 69k on the clock. Finally to cap it all off... the head gasket went!! Sold it to a dealer I knew and he had nothing but trouble with it too.

Having said that, they are cheap and cheerful and a reasonable city car, but only the 16 valve version is worth buying.

My advice.. buy a polo/ starlet/ Ibiza/ Yaris/ Corolla anything but a 00 Punto.

Have good 'un!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

ah, I agree with a starlet, styling not cool but its a toyota!
    (expensive but reliable)

I tell u something for nothing, i work in a dealership and anything small is always "worth loads". most dealers will keep a big margin on something like a fiat incase it does come back for warranty work:D

what does "worth loads" mean? Have you any more secrets?

what does "worth loads" mean? Have you any more secrets?

Haha just if u look at any small car for sale via a dealer they're always overly price... I know a fella sellin a 00 polo for six...That's jus one example...Keep an eye out u'll see wha i'm on about

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

what does "worth loads" mean?

Small cars are always in demand by female drivers, learners and older drivers. Hence dealerships can sell them for a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Punto = Evil
    Punto = Costly
    Punto = Worst Eight Months of my Life*

*See my past posts

*shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kfitz

Hi

I am considering a 00 Punto 5 door 1.2 car. It is in very good condition very clean. Cost is 3,400 euro. Anyone know if that is a good price? I know its hard to say not seeing it but any ideas?

Thanks

I'm trying to sell my punto as I'm leaving the country soon. I'm looking to sell it for €2,000. If you are interested, give me a bell, 086 3178374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kfitz

Kfitz wrote: »
    I'm trying to sell my punto as I'm leaving the country soon. I'm looking to sell it for €2,000. If you are interested, give me a bell, 086 3178374

Sorry, forgot to say its the same year and model as the one you viewed.

• Advertisement

Kfitz wrote: »
    Sorry, forgot to say its the same year and model as the one you viewed.

How many doors?
    when nct out?
    where are you dublin?
    is there a fsh?
    ever crashed?
    what reg D?
    Thanks

085 1568031

Advertisement