Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Clutch,ECU,and head gasket will give you grief.;)
    Not worth the hassle.
    Steer well clear'

JAP-JAP-JAP:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

id have to agree with that last post there. ive had a punto for the last few months. id never ever go near one again.
    i got the car with a failed slave cylinder, which wasnt too bad. but everything has seized in it, making servicing it a nightmare. and now to top things off i think the fuel pump has died. bloody car wont start.
    your best off with either German or Jap. Prefereably Jap import. My previous 2 were jap imports and were bullet proof. But some scangers robbed my last car, leaving me with a fiat as a temporary car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

sc4rf4ce wrote: »
    id have to agree with that last post there. ive had a punto for the last few months. id never ever go near one again.
    i got the car with a failed slave cylinder, which wasnt too bad. but everything has seized in it, making servicing it a nightmare. and now to top things off i think the fuel pump has died. bloody car wont start.
    your best off with either German or Jap. Prefereably Jap import. My previous 2 were jap imports and were bullet proof. But some scangers robbed my last car, leaving me with a fiat as a temporary car.

I do not understand the negativity around Puntos. I do not disbelieve you but have to balance your view with my experience or rather friends of mine who have had Puntos. One has one from 1999 bought new and she is not the type to hang on to a car that is not good value :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

i never had an opinion on them until i got one. you could get lucky and have one that rarely gives any problems but from the majority of people ive talked that have owned puntos have all had nothing but bad things to say.
    on a positive note, i would say that when they are working fully. they are very comfortable to drive.
    but as soon as i get my punto sorted, im selling it and going back to a jap car.

Ok fair enough. Hope you sell Punto but not to me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The head gasket did go on mine, but luckily my Dad repaired it. I wasn't too upset though because it is a 99 car and the head gaskets are a known problem. Otherwise I've never had any issues, other than what is required as part of regular maintenance on an old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're looking at Puntos go for at least the ELX or Elegance models. The basic black bumper model is just too bare, you might as well get a few extras as there are so many Puntos out there. Aim for a HLX 16v model if you can find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

from looking, half the cars advertised as HLX spec on carzone are, when you look closer, only ELX spec and 8v at that not even 16v.

the HLX is 5 door only, and can be easily identified from the ELX by colour coded electric mirrors, alloys and sunroof.

ELX 16v was only available in the UK AFAIK, tried to order one in 2000 and was told they weren't doing them. (Good excuse to buy a Sporting!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Clutch,ECU,and head gasket will give you grief.;)
    Not worth the hassle.
    Steer well clear'

have to agree, my missus is driving a 00 punto for the last 2 years. so far she's had to get the engine skimmed , head gasket has gone , both wipers keep popping out and now the clutch has gotten really stiff (though WD40 seems to have solved that one temporarily)

its really does seam the old saying of FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow is true :(

My favourites are

Found In A Tip

or

F**king Italians Assembled This

colm_mcm wrote: »
    F**king Italians Assembled This

I drive an Alfa so can't really use this one myself :D:D:D

...because they forgot to assemble it?

lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I would look at other cars first, the punt is usualy the cheapest in its class but not the best, though some can be aright,

a mate of mine traded in a 01 punto with 58,000 on the clock in jan and was given 1100 yoyos on the trade in, it was in mint condition.

I have a punto van 1.8 diesel and while its a lovely van to drive, the electrics and immobilizer give loads of problems and at the moment its f'cked, ecu and lock set needed for it, not worth fixing - might sell for parts.

I have just sold a 99 clio 3dr ex condition with less than 20k on the clock (genuine miles) 2,500 yoyos and I have a 99 corsa good con with 40k on the clock for 2,500 yoyos, so thats the ball park I would be looking to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Posted by IncredibleHulk
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index...r&carID=627438

What do you guys think of the above
    that ones alright its funny how you say youve got no comeback with a private sale that is true although I seem the other way I just cant trust a dealer.......I say just look at everything, private or not, just get a feel for the car youre thinking of buying its easier to spot a genuine one then, get a mechanic to go with you aswell
    was looking at getting one myself a while back
    heres a nice one, bit boy racery but still a reasonably good looking car
    http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=778059&ID=1437768&NumPics=3&Make=Toyota&Model=Starlet&frmFilter=#

woop wrote: »
    Posted by IncredibleHulk

.... got no comeback with a private sale that is true although I seem the other way I just cant trust a dealer.......

I know, you can't trust anyone when it comes to buying a car. I feel quite tired from listening to dealers lies and bull, how they can keep it up each day amazes me:D

Advertisement