Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guttering

Options
  • 20-10-2007 5:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i have been told i need new gutting on a flat roof, the roof is 16 x 16, and nobody wants to touch it because it is too small of a job.

so i am going to attempt it myself, its there anything i should know before starting - actually can anyone tell what to do in general

thanks
    IB:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Q 1: What's wrong with existing guttering that it need sto be replaced?
    Unless it's corroded, hanging off and leaking in several places, repairs may be possible.

Q 2: Is it a flat roofed single storey structure?

Q 3: Are you familair with using a spirit level and fixing screws?

Fixing guttering is relatively a straightforward task, but on your own it might be tricky especially when setting out the correct fall, it is possible.

Lets have some answers before proceeding further.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its a single story

when the roof was replaced in january, the roofer removed the guttering, so there is no guttering

i know how to use screws and a spirit level

its just me, so have i no choice but to do it by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Job shouldn't take more than an hour!
    If yer stuck and need a hand i can help ya.
    PM me and i'll send you my number, for a boardie and a mate of Hillbillys it'll cost ya tea and nice biccies! See BGRH for definition of nice biccies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

joeclif wrote: »
    PM me and i'll send you my number, for a boardie and a mate of Hillbillys it'll cost ya tea and nice biccies! See BGRH for definition of nice biccies.

Good man joe and nice one HillBilly for the heads up :) Just in case joeclif can't make it be sure that you have the right tools for the job as well IB. I'm not being funny but you should invest in a good DIY book, I'd recommend the Readers Digest book (as I have it) and have used it for some minor plumbing (this weekend) and also other bits and pieces. It's very good! I know it has a section on guttering too! It'll come in handy for loads of other stuff in the future, can't go wrong really.

/holds book up to TV camera and smiles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

joeclif wrote: »
    Irishbird would only serve the finest beer.

Anyway, the job is fairly simple. Just make sure you have a fall to the downpipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

smashey wrote: »
    Irishbird would only serve the finest beer.

Anyway, the job is fairly simple. Just make sure you have a fall to the downpipe.

you wont need much of a fall, for that length of gutter, water will flow until level and thus go down the spout (unless you have a climb rather than a fall of course!)

Advertisement