Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herb care

Options
  • 20-10-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

I keep buying grocery store herb plants and am unable to keep them alive to use beyond the leaves they already have on them. I've currently and new thyme and basil plant and want to know how to make them live! Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello Rhiannon14.
    Have a look here... Herb growing in containers (Ireland).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Basil is very hard to keep alive.

dont put it in direct sunlight but make sure it gets loads of light

make sure there are absolute no drafts anywhere near it

sitting it in a bowl of water for twenty minutes every night

dont cut the leaves, pinch them off

dont let it grow in height, you need to pinch it out, make sure it doest flower.

the longest i managed to keep one alive was 4 months

thyme is easy, just stick it in the garden and it grows away, rather indestructiable i have found

Best of luck with the Basil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

OP - the first thing you need to do when you get those supermarket ones is take them out of the pot they're supplied in and put them in a large flowerpot. I made that mistake the first few times - I wasn't using a big enough pot........they need loads of space seemingly. I currently have a basil plant doing very well on a bright window with plenty of sunlight.....but definitely tricky to grow. Parsley, chives, dill & mint all thrived for me during the summer in the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Basil is a summer herb so it won't stay alive for long this time of year. In general, supermarket herbs are really only for use in the short-term. You'd need to buy your plants in the garden centre - or best of all grow them from seed. You can buy packets of mixed seeds so you don't have hundreds of each.

Advertisement