Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun suggestions

Options
  • 20-10-2007 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a shotgun, and I am a little undecided on which to go for.
    I am familar with and fond of the Beretta Silver Pigeon Range. And would be happy with one, but I also want to get "my own" gun as a familay member has a silver pigeon. I was looking at the Beretta ultra light and it seamed good.
    It would mostly be used for pigeon and pheasant, with clays occasionaly. So the idea of a light gun was appealing. I am 100% on 12g as it makes no sense for me to differ here.

Any suggestions on similar guns or anyone who has an ultra light, how much would I likely pay for one of these, new and used.

Thanks
    Mellor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

A great gun for Hunting and Clay Pigeon shooting. I haven't yet found a round it doesn't shoot. Really easy to strip down and keep clean. I couldn't recommend a better gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sorry, should of said in the OP that I'm looking for a under and over, they only type I mention in the OP, but I might chance my mind at a later date

LoL, why be a sheep like the rest of them. Dare to be differen't.;) My 1st was a o/u Medalist and the only thing it was good for was poking the fire.:) The happiest day of my Shooting Life was the day i traded it for a Semi.:D Good Luck with ur choice, i hope u make the right one.:rolleyes:

Strictly speaking, I'd like to be different and get a gun that was somewhat unique to the group I would be shooting with, but of course I'd be looking for quailty over this. Any suggestions on price range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

i would say the beretta 682 gold is the one. here is mine it the one that black
    looking steel i only use for clays class gun.cheers sounder

P9170009.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pic sounder, looks good. I'm leaning more and more to beretta. Which is where I was hoping to get away from :D
    How much would I expect to pay for the Gold sounder? Unfortunety, cost is going to be a big factor in my purchase, I'd prefere to be able to get my ideal choice, but its not the case.

One thing i've learn't over the year's in this sport is quality resells. A gunsmith will sell u anything. I can recommend a Gunsmith with good cheapish new/old shotguns. PM me if u want. He's based in Dublin Southside. If u can't a afford a Beretta then a good second choice could be Lanber, Browning Cynergie http://www.browningint.com/intro.html , Franchi http://www.franchi.com/viewdoc.asp?CO_ID=60 , Winchester (well prolly dearer than a Beretta), or a cheap version of them all could be a Baikal. But don't expect to get a good price when u wanna resell with a Baikel. Enjoy ur shopping.:)

thanks for the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

i know the price has a big thing to do with it so i say a lamber sporter there one i pick buy them cheap and good for clays and game.and always think of this it not the price and not the make its the man behind it that counts good luck cheers sounder

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I just discovered this gun today! Haven't so much as even touched one, but if it shoots as good as it looks I want one!! Anyone any experience with one?

It 'ud certainly be different Mellor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Just noticed that Bob the 7th mentioned it in his post! Good article th Cynergy in this month's sporting gun.

I seen it a while ago, some of them look top notch. This is currently number 2 behind beretta, ill have to look into price on a few guns. Ideally it wouldn't be a factor, but of course it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A few more, some some less exp. some not.

Winchester and Browning.

Merkel 2000E http://www.merkel-waffen.de/

Rizzini B or Battista Rizzini :Dwww.rizzini.it/

Renato Gamba http://www.renatogamba.it/

Caesar Guerini http://www.caesarguerini.com/#

CZ 581 http://www.czub.cz/index.php?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Im a 682e man too. Very versatile for clays, pigeons, rough shooting etc.

sounder wrote: »
    i know the price has a big thing to do with it so i say a lamber sporter there one i pick buy them cheap and good for clays and game.and always think of this it not the price and not the make its the man behind it that counts good luck cheers sounder
    Yea ur right. But i lol'd hard as in some Gun Clubs the Lanber is frowned upon.:( But if u can put up with the jeering and the sniggering behind ur back. So be it. Although they never sniggered when i brought up my ex-M3 Super 90 (Semi & pump in 1 gun) with its pistol grip.:D http://www.tacshooting.com/image_rifle/benelli_01l.jpg this one has a ghost sight. Mine had clay sights and barrel. Or my ex-Remmy 870 Pump Blk Syn also. Sweet guns for hunting and clays alike. I now use the above Beretta Urika Blk Syn and a Benelli Nova Blk Syn Pump. http://www.benelli.it/Articoli/Armi.asp?ID=789 It's nice to straight traps @ ICPSA shoots when others with Beretta's & Browning's can't hit ****.:p Man i love shooting...:cool:

http://www.tacshooting.com/image_rifle/benelli_01l.jpg

I have to say I would slag you with that thing! Its the same as Sarah Connors uses to kill Arnie in T2?

Tell me you are an AA shooter and score 90+ at shoots with it and Ill humbly eat my hat (sans ketchup!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Mellor

For the past two years I have been shooting a Bettinsoli Supersport (30' Barrells) for all my clays bar skeet (use my Berretta 391 urika auto for that) 26' barrells and a game gun (Deadly).

I traded a 391 urika sporter for the Bettinsoli Supersport and I haven't looked back, I shoot Trap (DTL and ABT)/Sporting/Compact and local flapper shoots when in season. I see the new Betinsoli Supersport is retailing at about £750 sterling. (it is a good gun)

I shoot with Lads that have top range Kemens (€8000!!!) and I am never more than 2/3 birds behind them and at times I beat them. Yesterday one of the lads with a top range perrazzi shot a 36/60 and a young lad whom I'm trying to encourage into clays shot a 38/60 with a Lanber game gun fixed choke

Kemen/Berretta and Browning are good (great) guns but they are well over priced and if you have a budget don't rule out this gem of a sporter.

I went to O/U because the auto used to hit lads in the ear when your on a line and it's not fair if your shooting in a competiton, It was almost like cheating:D

I went to O/U because the auto used to hit lads in the ear when your on a line and it's not fair if your shooting in a competiton, It was almost like cheating:D
    Roffles i know. We do it on purpose to the trappers or markers. It cracks me up trying to shoot and not piss myself on the line... Gunz r FUN.:D

alan123 wrote: »
    http://www.tacshooting.com/image_rifle/benelli_01l.jpg

I have to say I would slag you with that thing! Its the same as Sarah Connors uses to kill Arnie in T2?

Tell me you are an AA shooter and score 90+ at shoots with it and Ill humbly eat my hat (sans ketchup!)
    Lollercakes. C shooter i'm afraid. But putting 10 in it cuts down the time on the queue's :eek: (jokes).

Yea ur right. But i lol'd hard as in some Gun Clubs the Lanber is frowned upon
    Why exactly is it frowned upon? I know they're not anything special, but didn't think they were paticularly bad. I remember my dad had one a few years ago, it was passed around the family akaik, was far better than the larranga that was left to my dad, he got rid of it instantly.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Why exactly is it frowned upon? I know they're not anything special, but didn't think they were paticularly bad. I remember my dad had one a few years ago, it was passed around the family akaik, was far better than the larranga that was left to my dad, he got rid of it instantly.
    It's a shame but like most sports now if u don't hv the name branded gear sometimes u don't make the cut in certain clubs. We had a guy once who came up with a colour cordinated gun case with his car interior. We laughed. He had a Perazzi. Out of 100 he got 38 birds. You will get them in all walks of life. I find it's easier to tippy toe around them. Because with them it's now wot u know, its who u know... Buy wot ever u can afford. U can always shoot them with it if they annoy u.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Because with them it's now wot u know, its who u know... Buy wot ever u can afford. U can always shoot them with it if they annoy u.;)

What are you implying here?

That clay competitions are corrupt?

What are you talking about shooting people with?? I dont quite follow you.

I hope that you are not even joking about shooting people with a sporting firearm. If so, you are not welcome on this forum as most of us here realise that it is not only shooters who browse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

heres my two cents - i had an ultralight and found the recoil far too big for clays of phesant. i went from 48 out of 50 at clays to under 35. kept it for two months. traded it for a browning cynergy and never looked back. the easiest and best gun i have ever shot with. i know its an unconventional looking gun and has a bit og nuw tech in it but dont rule it out.

I shot with a cynergie and I agree they are a fine gun. Well balanced

I think you'll all agree that when it comes to shooting clays it's confidence with whatever gun/cartridge configuration. If it's €8000 or €800, it is whatever your comfortable with.

A mate of mine was shooting a Browning 525 but found he couldn't get used to hit went back to shooting with an auto

More power to the guy who wants a Kemen/perazzi after all it's an investment and truth is if you get it right you probabally will stick with it for life.

As for Lanber my brother has one and it's a fine sporter I personally don't like the reapeter, I find compared to Beretta it cycles slow.

As for cartridges 7.5 all the way 8s for skeet and I go for the best value particulalry with the prices at the moment heard one guy quoting 260 per thou for RC.

What are you implying here?

That clay competitions are corrupt?

What are you talking about shooting people with?? I dont quite follow you.

I hope that you are not even joking about shooting people with a sporting firearm. If so, you are not welcome on this forum as most of us here realise that it is not only shooters who browse here.
    A bit off topic m8. But tks for picking me out and putting me in the corner. Wot i said was in jest. Humour for the thread. Clearly u didn't get it. Shame. But by all means continue with ur quest to put others down. I never said the Clay Pigeon comps were corrupt or did i? Now i'm confused. All i SUGGESTED was there are to many Chiefs and not enough Indians in Gun Clubs these day. I walked away from 2 Gun Clubs so far because of these chaps. Chatting up farmers for their land suits me better these days. One man and his dogs with only the rain to annoy him... Chopperdog2 if u want me to leave these forums all u hv to do is ASK (Chief''s everywhere). Peace out.

I imaine that most of my shooting will be birds. I might occasionally do a bit of clay in the off season for fun, but its not going to be competion stuff, just in the field with our own trap. I don't think the higher recoil will affect me when walking about the fields, as shots won't be as common, infact the lighter gun may keep my arms fresher, faster, etc

How much did you get for the Ultralight when trading it in, ie how much would I expect to pay for a used one, also what about a used cynergy (im trying to decided between these two)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianjamesos

I can recommend a Gunsmith with good cheapish new/old shotguns

hi Folks - Ive read this thread and done my research (newbie shotgun buyer also).

I'm between a secondhand Beretta/Browning or a new Betinsoli Supersport, budget under 1000 (hopefully). Can any of you reccommend a gunsmith (the one mentioned in south Dublin would be very handy).

Is anyone a member in Cortlough? Reccommend it?

Thanks in advance.

What is the deal in Courtlough Chopper? Do you save by joining??

hi Folks - Ive read this thread and done my research (newbie shotgun buyer also).

I'm between a secondhand Beretta/Browning or a new Betinsoli Supersport, budget under 1000 (hopefully).

I shoot a supersport and have since they came out two years ago, they retail at 850 sterling now, they are a very good gun for the price. A good berretta/browning could cost 1800 second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i shoot with a lamber scirrocco. it only cost 750 or so and i find it a lovely gun. its nice and light so it fits me perfect and im hitting great with it sinece i got it. the only fault i can find with it is that it doesnt have a selecter, which can come in very handy while out decoying.

Advertisement