Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

List Price vs. acceptable bid?

Options
  • 20-10-2007 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

is there a rule? Should I expect 10% below asking to be accepted? or is there a rule of thumb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

We're gonna need more information m8.

What are you trying to buy?
    On a Mini you probably wouldnt get much off but another mass production car with low demand you should get a fair bit off Fiat/Renault/Hyundai etcc..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Varies enormously. Somewhere between 0 and 9% maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

What you do is go to every dealer.
    Tell them you are playing them off and its simple, you buy the car off the one with the best price.
    If they dont play then they have zero chance of getting the sale, so they will all play in the end.
    Each one you go to, tell them the best price you got and you're not finished

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

more information - I'm asking as a general question mainly, because I've been looking for so long that I'm going cross eyed. And I've found my budget pushed ever north.

I've always told myself looking at [cbg/autotrader/etc] that the 15k price tag was actually 14 in reality, as that was all the dealer expected.

The current object of my affection is an A4, but it could as easily be a Passat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dealer "Car is €20k". Buyer "How much for a straight cash deal?". Dealer "€19k". Buyer "I would pay €18k for it today"................

Get in there and negotiate.

Make sure of a few things:-

Car is perfect mechanically, cosmetically, and that everything works as it should. Ask "Has it ever been in an accident?". Look for service history, and HPI if it's an import. Also having agreed a price say "I assume a 12 month warranty applies?". Ask about last service and establish 100% if the timing belt has been replaced. Get evidence of this. If it's due a service and a timing belt change make this a condition of your purchase. "I'd only be interested if it is serviced and belt done".

p.s. Watch dealer's face fall if belt needsds doing on a Passat. It's not a small job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Uberwolf I thought you meant a new car when you originally posted because you mentioned "list" price.
    My reply makes little sense in the used car market.
    As previous posters said , just play them off against each other - but dont be afraid to pay a little extra for the right low mileage , 1 owner car with FSH.

Advertisement