Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal cases

• 20-10-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

The OReilly V Limerick Corporation and Entores V Miles Far East have been mentioned as a possible case studies for my legal studies class

I was wondering, where would be a good website to do some research on them?

I found basic info on the Entoes and Miles Far east but I could no mention of the cases put forward by defence and prosecution/

any help would be greatly appreciated

Cian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

The OReilly V Limerick Corporation and Entores V Miles Far East have been mentioned as a possible case studies for my legal studies class

I was wondering, where would be a good website to do some research on them?

I found basic info on the Entoes and Miles Far east but I could no mention of the cases put forward by defence and prosecution/

any help would be greatly appreciated

Cian

Reading the cases themselves might be a good place to start?!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yes, that's what I'm asking.

Where would be a good place on the internet to find cases.

I've only found summaries so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

The British and Irish Legal Information Institute or bailii

It has Entores http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1955/3.html

It's lacking in some of the earlier irish cases so doesnt have o'reilly.

In a nutshell Entores says that the postal acceptance rule does not apply to electronic communications. O'reilly says the role of the courts is commutative rather then distributive justice and should refrain from resource allocation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Your college should give you information on electronic resources such as Westlaw or LexisNexis - you need to pay for these but all colleges should have a subscription, check with the law department for a username and password

These will let you read a large majority of cases and also several articles

Apart from getting the cases, there isn't a whole lot else you can do online
    There may be journal or law review articles relating to the cases that you can find on databases, but it won't be a matter of typing these into google. (Another tip - never use wikipedia for this sort of thing, make sure any information you use is from an accredited source, which you should then acknowlege by means of references)

In my opinion your best bet would be to go to a law library and use a textbook and start your research from here, for Entores try Clark - Contract Law in Ireland or McDermott - Law of Contract. The librarly will also contain different law reports which is the alternative to looking for the case online (not all cases are online, although almost all recent ones will be)

Another option you have would be to use a casebook, such as Clarke an Clark - Contract Cases and Materials. These will have selected significant extracts from the judgement in the case along with a small commentary from the authors

Legal research on the internet is more difficult than you may have thought, don't worry though it gets easier, just look for all the relevant information from your law department

But as a general rule, the internet usually isnt enough. Studying law you often deal with old material from long before the internet (and even electricity was created), so you will usually need to go to the library to supplement what you have found on the internet, or in some cases work solely using printed law reviews, textbooks and journals, as there simply wont be any of the relevant information available on the internet

I suspect you are in first year - dont worry your whole class will be in the same position as you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Your college should give you information on electronic resources such as Westlaw or LexisNexis - you need to pay for these but all colleges should have a subscription, check with the law department for a username and password

These will let you read a large majority of cases and also several articles

Apart from getting the cases, there isn't a whole lot else you can do online
    There may be journal or law review articles relating to the cases that you can find on databases, but it won't be a matter of typing these into google. (Another tip - never use wikipedia for this sort of thing, make sure any information you use is from an accredited source, which you should then acknowlege by means of references)

In my opinion your best bet would be to go to a law library and use a textbook and start your research from here, for Entores try Clark - Contract Law in Ireland or McDermott - Law of Contract. The librarly will also contain different law reports which is the alternative to looking for the case online (not all cases are online, although almost all recent ones will be)

Another option you have would be to use a casebook, such as Clarke an Clark - Contract Cases and Materials. These will have selected significant extracts from the judgement in the case along with a small commentary from the authors

Legal research on the internet is more difficult than you may have thought, don't worry though it gets easier, just look for all the relevant information from your law department

But as a general rule, the internet usually isnt enough. Studying law you often deal with old material from long before the internet (and even electricity was created), so you will usually need to go to the library to supplement what you have found on the internet, or in some cases work solely using printed law reviews, textbooks and journals, as there simply wont be any of the relevant information available on the internet

I suspect you are in first year - dont worry your whole class will be in the same position as you

Thank you both for your support.
    Yeah I'm a first year and I did come across Westlaw during my research, but I thought I'd have to pay and I'm broke. I applied for a free trial but they never got back to me. the tossers.

I'll ask my lecturer RE a university account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah these are very expensive as they are designed for legal professionals, i cant imagine a college not having an account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Nowadays, access is usually isp-based, so no need for a password.

If you're in the college, go to the library website and look for a section on databases. In there, you should be able to find either (or both) lexis or westlaw.

Failing that, the law librarian/ library helpdesk will in all likelihood give you a password if you ask nicely.

Advertisement