Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legislation regarding Euthanasia.

• 20-10-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

I' doing a debate on the legal aspect of Euthanasia and I'm wondering if anyone would know of any resources Icould use. I'd like to find exact Irish legislation regarding Euthanasia, and the legislation in countries where it's legal such as Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The law on euthanasia comes from the common law - murder. If you end someone else's life intending to end their life, you have murdered them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

OP for your debate you might be interested in case of Pretty v. UK, that is a most interesting judgement on this issue which looks at this from the point of view of Privacy, and the right to die.

You'll also be interested to note that the European Convention of Human Rights Act 2003 (as transposed to Irish law some 50 years after ratification of the convention) and the European Court of Human Rights gives priority to Member States e.g., Ireland, to protect Religious, Moral or national security grounds.

There are some other cases and if you'd like I can post up some more references or pm me.

If you were watching the news on Friday you'll have seen a case called Foy v. The Register for Births, Deaths and Marriages, the judgement in this case by MacKechnie J was that he found that the right to modify sex on birth documentation was incompatible with the Convention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

@ OP, I would imagine that the caselaw Tom Young referred to above and the ECHR element of euthanasia is probably the most interesting aspect of the area and a reference to Pretty V UK would be of central importance to any debate on the issue.

It might also be worth noting the case of Re; A a Ward of Court, a case concerning a former UCD student by the name of Lucy Chamberlain which concerned the patient in a permanent vegetative state being allowed the right to die.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

besty wrote: »

It might also be worth noting the case of Re; A a Ward of Court, a case concerning [careful now] which concerned the patient in a permanent vegetative state being allowed the right to die.

Are there reporting restrictions/the in camera rule in place for wardship proceedings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Are there reporting restrictions/the in camera rule in place for wardship proceedings?

This is a centrally important and widely reported judgment of the Supreme Court which can be found here: http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IESC/1995/1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh cheers for the link Besty I couldn't find anything about her online!

Thanks for all the help everyone's offering!

Advertisement