Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on car sale websites

Options
  • 20-10-2007 8:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a little bit of a rant from me and not being too much of a car person I may be missing something, but is there a reason why car sale websites like Car Zone don't have NCT details as a mandatory field in car listings?

I know that cars that are too young or "vintage" don't need an NCT but surely it doesn't take much HTML coding to have it so that when a reg year is entered into the listing that makes the car more than 4 years old, then the NCT field automatically appears and must be filled in... To deal with the issue of vintage one of the options for your NCT details could be "not applicable".

Seems like a small thing, not a big deal, but for someone in my position who's looking to buy a car to learn in having at least the bones of a year on the NCT is pretty important... all I'm looking for is a cheap car that runs and that won't require any major investment to get road-worthy (and if you buy one that has to be NCT'd straight away or shortly after you run the risk of having it fail and being twice as expensive as the up front price).

When I see a car listed without its NCT details I tend to assume it isn't NCT'd and ignore it 9 times out of 10 and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so it probably costs people sales.

OK... rant over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A righteous grumble! Many details on Carzone are wrong or missing a bit of simple programming would mean all details would need to be inserted to submit an ad and if a car is being sold without NCT then that could be catered for with a box for last valid NCT and peeps would know.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Actually Carzone has it but many don't add it to the description or the car has no NCT, hopping people will ring anyway which in my point is one big mistake they make and wonder why the car has so many viewes but no calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

While we are griping about carzone, another thing that really pisses me off is when sellers misrepresent things like trim levels, eg. putting the title as a Mondeo Zetec when its a bog-standard LX.
    When you then enquire about it you are told "ah, sure that must have been a mistake, but sure its a grand car, take a look anyway"
    I've never seen the "mistake" made the other way though.
    As Jim Royle would put it - Mistake my ar5e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I cant knock carzone if ya know what your doing the car can be shifted in no time like my one (now sold i'm not thread jacking just making a point)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=820447

Put it on, on monday night gone by a fella from Co.Letrim by Wednesday night!!!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I cant knock carzone if ya know what your doing the car can be shifted in no time like my one (now sold i'm not thread jacking just making a point)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=820447

Put it on, on monday night gone by a fella from Co.Letrim by Wednesday night!!!

-VB-

Funnily enough, the link you posted is what pisses me off a lot - people who have sold the car, but don't mark it as such, so it still appears in search results.

Fair enough, if it's only until the money is in the bank, but not if it's just so it can be used to get more calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I posted it to make a point!! Why would i want calls about a car i dont have?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I posted it to make a point!! Why would i want calls about a car i dont have?

-VB-

I am not talking about the fact you posted it, but about garages who say the car is sold, but don't mark it as such so it still appears in search results. This is presumably either to generate hits, or so they can re-use the advert for another car.

Advertisement