Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I am in Germany

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mick.fr wrote: »
    Anyway I have been driven on the motorway (ahah) and I will be posting video(s) soon :-)
    Just watched it. I don't know which is worse, your driving or the fact that you seem to be proud of it.:confused:

DonJose wrote: »
    Thats because the Germans have no VRT, so one way or the other you're gonna get taxed to f***. I'd rather pay 1.35 a liter and no VRT than 1.11 a liter and 30% VRT. The Government would see a rise in new cars sales if this was the case as I for one would upgrade more often if cars were 30% cheaper.
    I'd imagine a lot of people would. Thing is, is that what we want?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Anan1 wrote: »
    Just watched it. I don't know which is worse, your driving or the fact that you seem to be proud of it.:confused:

But isn't it legal to drive whatever speed you want on certain Autobahns? He also said he was not driving, someone else was. I wasn't mad about the music & I thought the acceleration beyind 120kmph would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But isn't it legal to drive whatever speed you want on certain Autobahns? He also said he was not driving, someone else was. I wasn't mad about the music & I thought the acceleration beyind 120kmph would be better.
    Well, whoever was driving, they were hogging the leftmost (overtaking) lane for most of that video, regardless of what speed they were doing, which although high by Irish standards, was pretty unremarkable by German ones. And as for the taste in "music", well ...

What did you think of the lane discipline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Why would I pay over 20% income taxes outside Ireland ?
    Life might be cheaper in Germany but income taxes is over 50%...(I think?).

Thats my point, it is easy to cherry pick the information that suits. The fact is cars are cheaper in Germany, but they screw you in other ways. You need to look at the whole picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I was driving with one hand and holding the camera in the same time.
    My car is limited to 130Mph (Factory limitation) so...
    And plus when you are driving at that speed you stay on the left lane (Legal obligation) and Germany motorways have no legal limit (Unless stated otherwise) as some of you might be aware :-)

What???????
    And plus when you are driving at that speed you stay on the left lane (Legal obligation)...
    What an absolute, unadulterated, misinformed, complete load of dogs dangly bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Alun wrote: »
    What an absolute, unadulterated, misinformed, complete load of dogs dangly bits.
    I thought there's no speed limit on certain autobahns if you stay in the left most lane? I open to correction.

And plus when you are driving at that speed you stay on the left lane (Legal obligation)
    Tony Danza wrote: »
    I thought there's no speed limit on certain autobahns if you stay in the left most lane? I open to correction.
    Send back your driving licenses, lads. Tell the authorities you're not bright enough to be in charge of a car.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The speed limit on an autobahn has nothing to do with what lane your in. It's either limited (as signposted on certain sections) or its not.

However, the "stay right unless you're overtaking" rule still applies ...so theoretically you should be doing your 300 km/h in the right hand lane (the so-called "slow lane") until the point when slower traffic neccesitates your move to the outside lane(s).

As that is a bit dangerous, most speedfreaks prefer to stay left all the time while zooming along.

They then are in a legal grey area: if there is no traffic to overtake, they shouldn't be in the outside lane and if there is, they probably shouldn't be driving past it at twice or three times its speed as this could be considered dangerous driving.

On autobahns without an explicit sped limit you can drive as fast as you like, but there's absolutely no legal requirement to drive in the leftmost lane. On a two lane autobahn with a reasonable amount of traffic, and travelling at much higher speeds than the prevailing traffic you're probably likely to be spending a fair amount of time in the leftmost lane admittedly, but you're still supposed to pull over the rightmost lane when it's free. And remember, however fast you think you're driving, there'll always be someone, somewhere driving faster than you :)

You have to drive on the left lane when you are overtaking (in Germany and most of the EU countries) not, Ireland/UK as you know.
    Because there was people in the right and middle lane, I do not see where the problem is.

Send back your driving licenses, lads. Tell the authorities you're not bright enough to be in charge of a car.:D

Yes you are not allowed to overtake on the right lane here

You have to drive on the left lane when you are overtaking (in Germany and most of the EU countries) not, Ireland/UK as you know.
    Because there was people in the right and middle lane, I do not see where the problem is.
    We might swallow this if we hadn't read your previous posts or seen your video.;)

No sh!t.. I never knew that :rolleyes::rolleyes: Thanks for letting us know :rolleyes:
    They must have been driving invisible cars then, because I couldn't see them. You didn't appear to move from the leftmost lane once, although I didn't watch it all, it was too boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Jesus, this is a forum where you can ask a question about the laws of a country that I've never been too right???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DonJose wrote: »
    Thats because the Germans have no VRT, so one way or the other you're gonna get taxed to f***. I'd rather pay 1.35 a liter and no VRT than 1.11 a liter and 30% VRT. The Government would see a rise in new cars sales if this was the case as I for one would upgrade more often if cars were 30% cheaper.

But you would also be paying more income tax so taking home less money to spend on a cheaper car. It's all swings and roundabouts and works out to be much of a muchness in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The problem you say? How about we start with this piece of idiocy:

Jesus, this is a forum where you can ask a question about the laws of a country that I've never been too right???
    Of course it is. At the same time, I do think that particular one was inviting a bit of ribbing! If it's any help to you, it was mainly mick.fr I was laughing at, rather than your good self.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was driving with one hand and holding the camera in the same time

WTF? Why on earth did you think that was a good idea? Don't get me wrong here though, I do not have a problem with driving at speed if the conditions allow. But surely, one needs to be concentrating fully on driving?

Advertisement