Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shaky Steering

Options
  • 20-10-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hopefully some car head out there can shed some light on this....

Ok so I've just had the clutch, clutch cable and pedal box replaced on my 2000 seat ibiza (ouch!). The mileage is only 50k but after some researching I've found that its something that happens fairly often with this model.

So now I've gotten it back from the garage and the steering is a little different. Its fairly difficult to describe but I can now feel more vibration in the steering wheel than previously. Whenever I drive over a bump or pothole the steering wheel shakes very slightly to the left or right with the movement of the wheels, almost as if the tyres are really soft (I've checked the pressure and they're fine). It just feels generally looser and less sturdy. Its probably fine and I just need to get used to it, but does this sound like somethings wrong with my steering??
    Apologies for the poor description! :confused:
    Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd take it back, could be you have a problem with a control arm or driveshaft tie-rod for example.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, possibly something mis-aligned or left loose after the clutch job.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Anything relating to a clutch replacement should have no bearing on the steering. On your FWD Ibiza, the only thing connecting the box to the wheel would be the driveshaft. What you describe sounds like a suspension problem. Maybe the subframe was loosened/removed during the clutch replacement and something was nor refitted/tightened correctly. As Mike said, bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Yeah think I will bring it back. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

crosstownk wrote: »
    Anything relating to a clutch replacement should have no bearing on the steering. On your FWD Ibiza, the only thing connecting the box to the wheel would be the driveshaft. What you describe sounds like a suspension problem. Maybe the subframe was loosened/removed during the clutch replacement and something was nor refitted/tightened correctly. As Mike said, bring it back.

In order to take the drive shaft off they need the wheel hub to swing, so they will need to disconnect the control arm

• Advertisement
Advertisement