Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitten

Options
  • 20-10-2007 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

When i was younger. Not that much younger though. I was 16 when we first got a cat. We just found him and kept him. But he used to come home after about 2 weeks away with all sorts holes in him from fighting. My mother has always said he'l heal himself. I suppose she grew up thinking it was wrong to spend money on an animal to see a vet. But at 16 i was in school and had no form of income and couldn't do anything. I wish i could have cos i feel so bad - an innocent little animal.

Anyway I have a new male kitten and i dont want anything to happen to this new kitten. Not in the same way my old cat suffered. Im prepared to spend money on him. My mother thinks im crazy though.
    He's almost 3 months old and he's so cute. I want to get him neutered when he's old enough. I have heard it stops them from straying and fighting. Does it really? Will he end up as a lazy house cat? Im hoping he would.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭gipi

I had my cat neutered at 6 months - almost as soon as he was able for the operation! It stopped him spraying, straying and fighting (he's had the odd scrap over the years but nothing compared to what he might have had as a fully-fledged tom).

He's 8 now, loves to sleep indoors (although he's outside while I'm in work) and is a bit of a cuddle cat!

Whether your puss becomes a lazy house cat or not depends on his personality - a friend of mine has a 7 yr old male, who was neutered at a young age too, but he's not a cuddle cat - he's a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Getting him neutered as soon as you can will save you lots of expense down the road - less chance of injuries from fights and wandering. Never mind your Mum! My parents think I'm nuts to allow my cats indoors - and to SLEEP ON THE SOFA!!! :eek: Never mind vet visits!! :D

I think Irish people traditionally viewed viewed cats as semi-wild animals with a role to catch rodents! But now of course we realise their role is to keep us on our toes, looking after their every need and pampering the little darlings!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

role to catch rodents, my arse...
    Elvis brings the mice INSIDE, and watches US crawl around the living room to catch the blighter again (we have perfected our technique, using the Golden Pages and oven mitts to chase/catch mice, but that's beside the point). And the cat looks on in mirth, the little b*ll*cks.

Anyways, Elvis is neutered, and does not stray as much (he keeps close to the house,always stays within a calls reach), and does not fight as much either (he defends his territory alright, and comes home with the odd scratch, but nothing serious). And he's a cuddler as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

LOL, yeah the only mice we have inside are the escapees from our two. When they get bored or need to attend to other feline needs such as sleep :)
    Neutering your kitten as soon as possible is a good idea. And parents need education too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

it's definetly worth getting your cat neutured. It will help stop them wandering off to find a mate. It's best to keep your cat indoors until then, as they can go into heat earlier than 6 months. Neutering should also stop the male from spraying, and they generally become even more cuddly after the op! Seriously, I've my male cat here on my lap holding one of my arms hostage! Good for you making the effort to do the right thing!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement