Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So I got done for speeding..

Options
  • 20-10-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

It was a lovely afternoon, the air was clear, the sun was shining and the road was nice...

I was doing "fast" kph on the N11 and got done for speeding..
    Fair cop, can't complain - I was enjoying the drive before then far too much.

These are my first two points so not aware of the procedure. The Garda didnt give me a ticket but said I would have to pay €80 and would get two points on my license.
    How long does it normally take for these to be issued and can I pay online somewhere and get it over and done with?
    And does the period before these points expire start from when the fine is paid or when I did the speeding?

Please, no do gooder posts about speeding..I'm not contesting it, they are my first and probably my last points.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

you will receive the fine in the post with all the details and instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

You should get a paper within 2-3 weeks.
    Go pay at the post office, other means of payment (Visa/Laser) is supposed to work but causes issues. I had to go to the post office to pay.
    You have to pay within 28 days, so do not forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will get a formal notice in the post in a few weeks. You then can pay by cheque or credit card, even at a post office i think. After you have paid you get a letter saying when the points take effect. You may not get the letter for several months. The points don't start till the date on the letter. The expire 3 years from the date on the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

was it in an 80 or 60kph zone? how much over the limit were you?

from my gaff into town it's 60kph all the way. very difficult to stick to it on some stretches.

• Advertisement

How much is my insurance likely to go up next year as a result of this does anyone know?, thankfully I just renewed my insurance last week for another year!

was it in an 80 or 60kph zone? how much over the limit were you?

from my gaff into town it's 60kph all the way. very difficult to stick to it on some stretches.

I was significantly over in a 100kph zone...as I said the road was nice..no contest, I should have known better.

Unless you are with Hiberian or their resellers eg Tesco, then nothing will happen, no increased premium so don't worry about it.

If you are with Hiberian you willl loose your no points discount which means about a 7% rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

by significant do you mean 150kpm or 200km ?
    does the speed matter when you are stopped
    like if you are doing 110kpm versus 140kpm on a 100kpm road woud the guards let you off with the 110kpm if it was one of those really good roads that looks like a motor way (say the N6 to galway from dublin - where part of it goes from motorway to norml road even though the road conditions are exact same)

It don't matter if you are 5km or 100km over the limit the punishment is the same. But if the speed is very high they will simply charge you with dangerous driving as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You can pay in a post office, cash/laser etc.

Don't think how much over the limit you are, if you're over the limit, yer over the limit. Although i've heard off some people before that most Gardai won't pull someone doing less than 10% over the limit ie. 109 in a 100 *may* be let go, but anything around 115 or over and you'll be pulled. Makes sense IMHO, sometimes people can drift slightly over the speed limit without making much of a difference and without noticing, but christ you'd notice the difference between 100 and 150kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Longfield wrote: »
    I was significantly over in a 100kph zone...as I said the road was nice..no contest, I should have known better.

ah right. i thought you were done on the 80 or 60 zones, not the outer road.

fair play for taking the punishment. pay the fine and don't worry about a few extra quid on insurance, if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I renewed my insurance last week, I,ve 2 points ( also on N11) and these were declared on my renewal at no cost to my premium.

Yours

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Unless you are with Hiberian or their resellers eg Tesco, then nothing will happen, no increased premium so don't worry about it.

If you are with Hiberian you willl loose your no points discount which means about a 7% rise.

The discount for zero points is 20% where are you getting 7% increase from?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

80 Euro! I was done (70kph in a 40) two months ago and had to €170! Then again, this is Finland. Didn't complain though as I got off lightly. The only reason I didn't lose my licence for a week was because I was going to a funeral. Normally here in Finland, if you're 50% over the limit, you will lose your licence for one week, on the spot.

Thanks,

I'm far from a habitual speeder, just the road conditions and the day and I just liked driving heavy pedal too much.

It won't happen again, I feel like a teen admonished, tis a weird feeling.

I'll go back to grown up on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

deman wrote: »
    Normally here in Finland, if you're 50% over the limit, you will lose your licence for one week, on the spot.
    Didn't a senior Nokia exec get fined $103,000 a while back, because the fine is based on income?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Didn't a senior Nokia exec get fined $103,000 a while back, because the fine is based on income?
    IIRC it was two weeks wages.

In Canada they double the fine for every 10 you go over the speed limit, some guy got caught doing 130 in a 30 zone

and this http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1918.asp
    Ontario, Canada Premier Dalton McGuinty today announced that being caught driving 50km/h (31 MPH) over the speed limit will automatically trigger "street racing" penalties -- even if the accused motorist is driving alone on an otherwise empty road. The change in definition will, in effect, turn ordinary speeding into an offense that can carry a $10,000 (US $9305) fine and up to six months in jail, making it one of the most expensive traffic tickets in North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JohnCleary wrote: »

Don't think how much over the limit you are, if you're over the limit, yer over the limit. Although i've heard off some people before that most Gardai won't pull someone doing less than 10% over the limit ie. 109 in a 100 *may* be let go, but anything around 115 or over and you'll be pulled. Makes sense IMHO, sometimes people can drift slightly over the speed limit without making much of a difference and without noticing, but christ you'd notice the difference between 100 and 150kph

TBH, if you "drift" over the speed limit according to your speedo ( 5- 10kmph or maybe even 15 in a 120 zone) , allowing for the discrepency your probably doing around the speed limit. If your clocked at say 130-135 on a motorway, you indicated speed could be as high as 150, so definately well over the "drifting" scenario.

Am I imagineing things or did we used to have a sliding scale for fines (pre points) ie, heavier fine the more over the limit you are?

It don't matter if you are 5km or 100km over the limit the punishment is the same. But if the speed is very high they will simply charge you with dangerous driving as well.

I was done for doning 60mph in a 40mph zone a few years ago. by the time the boys cot up to to me I was doing over 90mph in a 30mph zone They just did me for the 60mph in a 40mph no questions asked, So dont worry how fast you were going its the same fine. 80 quid and 2 points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So dont worry how fast you were going its the same fine. 80 quid and 2 points.
    Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb:rolleyes:

This is why we need a graduated system for speeding penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I got fined and two points also for speeding. As the guard said to me at the time "it's a good lesson" for me. Got the fine letter within a week and the notification within a month (and a copy of the rules of the road came with it). My insurance premium didn't change.

I will NEVER speed again. I got the fright of my life when he jumped out from behind a bush.

Yes, it is based on income. And it wasn't a senior exec from Nokia, it was an IT businessman who had sold his company (Saunalahti) the previous year. Then again, I might have missed the Nokia Exec story.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anssi Vanjoki who worked for Nokia had his fine of €116K slashed by 95% because of a drop in income!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I was done for doning 60mph in a 40mph zone a few years ago. by the time the boys cot up to to me I was doing over 90mph in a 30mph zone They just did me for the 60mph in a 40mph no questions asked, So dont worry how fast you were going its the same fine. 80 quid and 2 points.

"So dont worry how fast you were going its the same fine. 80 quid and 2 points"

Which is an awful pity. You, my friend deserved to lose your licence.

gyppo wrote: »
    "So dont worry how fast you were going its the same fine. 80 quid and 2 points"

Which is an awful pity. You, my friend deserved to lose your licence.

Im not saying I was right and im not telling people to drive as fast as they want im just saying that in this country the chances are a fine and points is what you will get regardless of the speed. That was 4 years ago and I havnt got a point since. Also its not as bad as it sounds it was a pointless speed limit on a dual carriageway.

kbannon wrote: »
    Anssi Vanjoki who worked for Nokia had his fine of €116K slashed by 95% because of a drop in income!

I stand corrected. I was thinking on this guy.
    HELSINKI, Finland (AP) -- Dot-com millionaire Jaakko Rytsola has broken his own unofficial record with a $71,400 fine -- for speeding.

In his regular newspaper column, Rytsola wrote that police pulled him over when he was doing about 40 mph in a 25 mph zone late on the night of Oct. 30. ''The drag was nice and wide, and I felt good. It's great to drive when there's no one around,'' Rytsola wrote in an edition of the biweekly paper published Friday.

Traffic fines in Finland are linked to an offender's income. The higher the income, the higher the fine, and there's no limit. In August, police stopped Rytsola in his Ferrari in downtown Helsinki and fined him $44,100 for zigzagging dangerously. He was not speeding, they said.

Rytsola, 27, earned millions when his company Saunalahti.com was listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange earlier this year.

Police declined to comment.

Advertisement