Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibs-help

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

watna wrote: »
    snip

sorry to hear that, but the first step in getting better is getting diagnosed. Let us know how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I actually do feel better today, more positive, just because I feel like I'm doing something about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I've found out today that it is more than likely I have IBS.
    I was at the doctor today and I more than like have it also :( I am on some nausea and vomiting drugs, something for excess acid ( I haven't stopped burping in over 24 hours) and something for the cramps in my stomach, and have to eat more fibre (I already eat a lot :confused: ).
    Have to go back in a week or so, and then will be sent for more tests, but he thinks its more than likely IBS. Was admitted to A&E in November with cramps (doubled over in pain, tears streaming down my face cramps), vomiting, diarrhoea, and constant burping. They thought it was my appendix, then gallstones - ultrasound a week later said everything was fine, so thats why he thinks its IBS.
    I have found chocolate, crunchy nut corn flakes and shephards pie BIG contributors to the attacks.
    Is a lot of IBS treatment just avoiding the foods you notice as being intolerant to? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

cAr0l wrote: »
    Was admitted to A&E in November with cramps (doubled over in pain, tears streaming down my face cramps), vomiting, diarrhoea, and constant burping. They thought it was my appendix, then gallstones - ultrasound a week later said everything was fine, so thats why he thinks its IBS.

SNAP!!
    They checked my ovaries aswell for cysts too and nothing there either. How painful was that bloody ultrasound?

Hope it starts gettingbetter soon Carol - i know exactly hoe you feel

Plus i have come into work and forgottten ALL my pills. Oh dear! SHould be an interesting day indeed!

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    SNAP!!
    They checked my ovaries aswell for cysts too and nothing there either. How painful was that bloody ultrasound?

Hope it starts gettingbetter soon Carol - i know exactly hoe you feel

Plus i have come into work and forgottten ALL my pills. Oh dear! SHould be an interesting day indeed!

What kind of ultrasound was it? I got the nasty one where, how shall I put this delicately, things were inserted into lady areas - just to make sure it wasn't cysts.

I ate really well for a while after my diagnosis and felt so much better in general. That gave me a sense of security so I started eating crap again. It hasn't caught up on me yet - think when I was diagnosed it was a bad attack and it hasn't been nearly that bad since but I need to get back on track. At the moment the crap eating has mainly affected my energy levels and my digestive system is a bit dodgy but luckily without much pain. I mainly suffer from back ache with it and that is more of a dull pain at the moment - which is give me less of an incentive to control my diet. OnceI start getting stronger pains I'll be kicking myself!

I've found taking soluble fibre a huge help and that is something I do every day without fail, although the success of this depends on what kind of IBS you suffer from (i.e. constipation or diarrhoea based or whether it is both) but otherwise it really is diet. I find things like crisps and chips have the worst affect on me - they agree with me the least. Which is a pity, because I love them! :)

• Advertisement

cAr0l wrote: »
    constant burping. :

p.s. I wonder is this a common thing with IBS. It's definitely something I suffer from, especially after eating badly for a bit and feeling bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

p.s. I wonder is this a common thing with IBS. It's definitely something I suffer from, especially after eating badly for a bit and feeling bloated.

Its a help just to know that I am not the only one it happens to! I was at work last wednesday - thank god the people at the desks next to mine were out because I was so embarrassed! :o
    At the moment the doctor has me taking Zoton to relieve the stomach acid that is causing the burping (they taste quite nice actually), motilium for my vomiting, and something else for stomach cramps - thank god I haven't had to take that yet - but its only been a week so far and have been very careful about what I have been eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bwally82

after many years of really suffering from ibs I found relief with a Dr fitzpatrick at Slievemore clinic in stillorgan allergy test to clarify allergy situation and then some medicine and diet and it has been the only thing which worked well and has given me lasting relief brian

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Hi all, hope it's ok to resurrect this thread! I just have been diagnosed with IBS, sort of anyway. My doctor didn't even come out and say that's what it is, but he just said it's not anything else "so that's what we're left with". I have had a load of tests done, endoscopies, CT scan, biopsies etc... He originally thought it was Crohn's because my brother has it, but can't find any evidence of it, not yet anyway :rolleyes:

Then, as doctors often do, he was trying to get me out of his office so he rattled off 5/6 things that I should/shouldn't do and showed me the door! I can't even remember most of what he said, peppermint tea was in there somewhere, so was porridge, but that's about all I can remember!!!

I have been trying this food combining diet which seemed to work for a few days, not today though cos I've been running to the loo again :( Don't know what set it off this time!!!

Anyway just having a moan really, if anyone has any tips that would be great. I have been reading in this thread what people said about drinking in particular, as I'm having my hen night this weekend! Haven't drank in months because it seems to be a trigger... but I think I will chance it this weekend! Maybe try to stick to clear drinks?? Does that actually work in people's experience? I am torn between wanting to have a few drinks and worried about ending up stuck in the loo for the night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 micheall

Hi

Every body please read how to stop constapation and the amazing liver and galbladder flush i have suffered from ibs c for about six years and am following these books with a lot of sucess. please read and inform yourself unfornatuly the doctors dont have a clue how to treat ibs

please let me know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've had to leave work today early because of this IBS. It was diagnosed 3 years ago. I'm sick and tired of all the wasted time with GPs and consultants. My head is spinning with all the contradictory advice. I'm fed up taking all the medicines. I've about had it trying to second guess what food might be causing this. I can't keep spending money that my family needs to go to GPs, Consultants, pay for medicines.

I get cramps and spasms, not diarrhoea or constipation. The constant flatulence is embarrassing.

I think, my body tells me, that my IBS flares up when I become stressed. My stress is self-induced and I worry (about money... who doesn't?)

My GP this morning prescribed some drugs to use when the flare up becomes too much. She is sympathetic and simply advised what I've been told before : small meals, often during the day, mostly bland food.

I was diagnosed around the same time with asthma and due to a highly allergic reaction to pollen I have no sense of smell or taste. Multiple polypectomys to remove polyps from my sinuses. It's only a matter of time until I have another operation.

I guess I just want to moan in safety :-( I'm a 44-year old man and since Friday I've been miserable. My wife is a nurse and she is as frustrated as I am.

This is a ****ty quality of life and I don't know where to turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ciaran1978

Guys, try apple cider vinegar - by no means a cure but by God it can help.

It's cheap too - a tenner for 200 tablets, and one or two a day should do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Atkins cured mine completely. Well until I go back to normal eating anyway. Its bad again within a week if I stop.
    With low carb though I get no symptoms whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've had IBS C for the past few years and it's hellish to say the least. I basically can't eat at all when I'm out, bar a few limited foods, and it affects my attendance a lot, on several occassions I was actually accussed of lying which annoyed me so much. It seems no one takes it seriously, if they had to live with it they'd change their tune!

My main issues are wind and stomach gurgling, caused by the constipation, and does anyone have any advice on anything that works for it? I've exhausted the medical route at this stage, and I've had all the tests but to no avail. Does anyone have any idea how to stop the stomach gurgling and wind? I'm so incredibly envious of people who can eat and drink what they like with not a care in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

unreg1 wrote: »
    I've had IBS C for the past few years and it's hellish to say the least. I basically can't eat at all when I'm out, bar a few limited foods, and it affects my attendance a lot, on several occassions I was actually accussed of lying which annoyed me so much. It seems no one takes it seriously, if they had to live with it they'd change their tune!

My main issues are wind and stomach gurgling, caused by the constipation, and does anyone have any advice on anything that works for it? I've exhausted the medical route at this stage, and I've had all the tests but to no avail. Does anyone have any idea how to stop the stomach gurgling and wind? I'm so incredibly envious of people who can eat and drink what they like with not a care in the world!

Charcoal tablets are good for wind. But dont take them if you are on medication, it absorbs that too. Ignore the black poo :p

Also a tablespoon of psyllium husk in a pint of water every morning is good for settling stuff down. The gurgling is the air moving around, which is what used to cause me the most pain.

• Does anyone else suffer from terrible bloating? I only realised recently how truly bad mine is and how much the IBS affects my quality of life. I eat ANYTHING, anything at all, from half a sandwich to a pizza, and I look 6 months pregnant. It's really starting to get me down. I'm so careful about the clothes I buy, as anything tight makes me look pregnant, especially because I'm so small all over. I've been to the doctor about it several times and found her very unhelpful, she just did a few blood tests to rule out 'other things' and came up with nothing. I get this bloating and diarrhea after pretty much any food so it's not as easy as just cutting things out. I can barely even remember what it feels like to eat a meal and not 'suffer' all evening. I go to restaurants and pick the food I think will affect me least but I never quite know what's going to set it off. The only thing that kind of works is to eat tiny amounts all day and avoid full meals but that's so impractical - I won't be able to do this at work. Does anyone else have this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 porschespeedst

I have IBS, have had it for around nine months now. I was initially told I had an infection but they now think the test result was a false positive and it was just common-or-garden IBS the whole time. My GP feared I might have bowel cancer as I had most of the symptoms (including the 'red flag' symptom of blood when going to the toilet, not at all times, but on occasion), I thought I had ulcerative colitis but when the results came back showing I didn't have any signs of either cancer or colitis, I didn't even feel any better as I was so depressed around that time. Depression is very common among IBS sufferers, fortunately have been feeling a bit better recently.

The most distressing symptom for me is spasms. I take Spasmonal and Fybogel which improves things. My doctor said if Spasmonal works for you, Colofac will work even better, but I did not find the Colofac effective so went back to Spasmonal.

I find rice the worst thing for aggravating it. I have not really changed my diet so far. I have not cut out dairy or wheat products and I still drink beer. There is so much advice on diet for IBS sufferers and some of it seems confusing and contradictory. Fibre is good, but apparently fruit, which contains fibre, can exacerbate IBS symptoms. Well frankly I like fruit but find vegetables just boring. Guess I need more willpower, but I can't see myself subsisting on a diet of nuts, seeds and porridge.

Fortunately I have a good GP and work have been reasonably understanding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

Just sitting here reading this with am incredible stomach ache and sick and fed up with IBS which I had for 30 years. I have poured out my angst on another thread so won't do so here. I have had all the tests, all the 'cures' and I am just at my wit's end.
    Pissed off, not looking forward to work (or missing it) tomorrow. Going to bed with a hot water bottle on my belly.
    Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

I got IBS through long term medication...and I've figured out that my triggers are stress and fatty foods(amongst others) - I found this site and its just great.
    Fantastic receipe forum as well, just cause you have IBS doesn't mean you can't be creative about food.
    Peppermint oil is my cure all :D

http://www.helpforibs.com/

Just sitting here reading this with am incredible stomach ache and sick and fed up with IBS which I had for 30 years. I have poured out my angst on another thread so won't do so here. I have had all the tests, all the 'cures' and I am just at my wit's end.
    Pissed off, not looking forward to work (or missing it) tomorrow. Going to bed with a hot water bottle on my belly.
    Peace.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you're feeling better today! All you can do is be good to yourself and take it easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement