Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Define God.

• 21-10-2007 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

atheism
    –noun
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
    God
    –noun
    1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
    2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
    3. (lowercase) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
    4. (often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
    5. Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
    6. (lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
    7. (lowercase) any deified person or object.

None of the dictionary definitions of God are very specific or scientific and are all, in fact, quite vague. Given that Atheists are traditionally very scientific minded people, one would presume that they would be able to give a very scientific and specific definition of the labels they attribute to themselves. So I ask you, in the most specific and scientific manner possible:

What the hell do you not believe in?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you name a god, and I probably won't believe in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I do not believe in make-believe beings made up by people without any actual evidance or proof of this supreme being.

Quite simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The very lack of a thorough definition is one of the primary reasons that I am so disdainful of religious beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Heh, see I'm just thinking of what I really classify myself as. I'd have said Atheist before this, then I started leaning more towards calling myself Agnostic, but now I realise that technically, I'm neither of these things(I can't refute or be unsure of what I can't define). In response to the question, "What is your position on religion?", my response would be, "I don't know, I never grasped the concept".

So what do you think, is there/should there be a word for this, or would "overtly pedantic atheist" be the correct term here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Heh, see I'm just thinking of what I really classify myself as. I'd have said Atheist before this, then I started leaning more towards calling myself Agnostic, but now I realise that technically, I'm neither of these things(I can't refute or be unsure of what I can't define). In response to the question, "What is your position on religion?", my response would be, "I don't know, I never grasped the concept".

So what do you think, is there/should there be a word for this, or would "overtly pedantic atheist" be the correct term here?
    Try going through all the gods in history, and ask yourself if you believe in them :D Judeo-Christian god? Zeus? Cupid? The deist god (ie. created the universe then p*ssed off/... non-interventionist god)?

I'm not sure I have a clear definition of 'god', but as a general point I haven't encountered an entity which any person has called 'god', which I believe in. So there ya go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ahloadabollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

So I ask you, in the most specific and scientific manner possible:

That for which there is zero evidence, pure and simple. Name a god and then see if you can produce some evidence that he/it exists. We don't just dismiss god(s), we dismiss in general anything that has not a scrap of evidence to support it. It's a general principle, not merely reserved for dealing with religion/gods. I don't say 'there is no god and I know this for 100% certain'. I say in the complete absence of any evidence at all for a god I can not believe in such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

God = Null.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I thought the definitions of God, in the major Churches, were laid down in Creeds such as the Nicene Creed. It gets recited at every service, so there's no confusion, like there was before it was written in year 325. Makes it easy to spot heresy a mile off... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

stereoroid wrote: »
    I thought the definitions of God, in the major Churches, were laid down in Creeds such as the Nicene Creed. It gets recited at every service, so there's no confusion, like there was before it was written in year 325. Makes it easy to spot heresy a mile off... :rolleyes:

Er, Hinduism? Tibetan Buddhism? Shinto? There's a lot more to divinity than the Judeo-Christian God.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Er, Hinduism? Tibetan Buddhism? Shinto? There's a lot more to divinity than the Judeo-Christian God.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yah, which is why I said "Churches", and not "Religions"...

stereoroid wrote: »
    Yah, which is why I said "Churches", and not "Religions"...

Hmm. I was assuming you were an atheist across the board? Are you particularly a Christian atheist?

No offence is intended by that, I'm personally absolutely atheist as far as the Judeo-Christian god goes, but the more limited concepts of gods found elsewhere I wouldn't be quite so definite about (partly through ignorance), so I myself am in some ways a "Christian" atheist.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hmm. I was assuming you were an atheist across the board? Are you particularly a Christian atheist?

No offence is intended by that, I'm personally absolutely atheist as far as the Judeo-Christian god goes, but the more limited concepts of gods found elsewhere I wouldn't be quite so definite about (partly through ignorance), so I myself am in some ways a "Christian" atheist.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Interesting phrase "Christian" atheist. Is this a first for Boards.IE:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If there is no evidence to support its existence then I tend not to believe it exists, as a general rule of thumb...

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Interesting phrase "Christian" atheist. Is this a first Boards.IE:)

Unfortunately not - there's the joke about the guy in Belfast who's asked whether he's Catholic or Protestant: when he says he's an atheist, they say "oh, aye, but are ye a Catholic atheist or a Protestant one?"

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

...full of stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

god : feeling and all it's expressions
    from this guys books
    http://www.paddymcmahon.com/index.htm

I have no idea how you got to that point, from what I wrote. My comment was about the Christian Churches, not about me at all. I wasn't saying anything about myself in that post. Yes, I'm an atheist "across the board", but I don't need to insert my lack of belief in to every post I make. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Define god?

Paradoxical entity elevated to a reverential status by humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

God is like an imaginary friend you had when you were little, to help you get through the nights when you thought there were monsters under the bed.

If there is a God, then why did he/she/it place Earth so far away from the centre of the known universe? Is there another planet(s) with people that God likes more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

god= {}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

biko wrote: »
    If there is a God, then why did he/she/it place Earth so far away from the centre of the known universe? Is there another planet(s) with people that God likes more?

This post poses some very obvious questions and objections.

1. I am no scientist, but links such as the following appear to suggest that the actual universe does not have a centre http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

2. The 'known universe' simply denotes that part of the universe which we have so far been able to observe. As such it is an entirely arbitrary area of the universe that changes every time we know more. Therefore the centre of the 'known universe' will shift continually. In fact, if we were able to observe an infinite universe in every direction to a similar distance then the earth would be at the centre of that known universe.

3. Why would the location of the earth in the universe have any bearing whatsoever on how much an omnipotent God loves us? :confused:

Advertisement