Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i hate bruce springsteen

Options
  • 21-10-2007 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

there's something about this guy that seems to trancend all boundries no matter where you go there he is. at the moment he seems to be the darling of irish radio. ann marie kelly plays him nearly every morning, dempsey plays so does darcy, he's on spin all the time and live95, quite simply there's no escaping him.
    i can's stand him the guy bores me to death. his live album from the point is like a sharon shannon album.... it's total crap. i don't know anyone that likes him so how does he get so much radio play. he's only recorded 2 good sonds in a 30 year career

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

dantes74 wrote: »
    there's something about this guy that seems to trancend all boundries no matter where you go there he is. at the moment he seems to be the darling of irish radio. ann marie kelly plays him nearly every morning, dempsey plays so does darcy, he's on spin all the time and live95, quite simply there's no escaping him.
    i can's stand him the guy bores me to death. his live album from the point is like a sharon shannon album.... it's total crap. i don't know anyone that likes him so how does he get so much radio play. he's only recorded 2 good sonds in a 30 year career

eh...

his latest live album was an oddity, like dylan's basement tapes.

my advice, start with the greatest hits and them go through the collection in chronological order.

you'll soon see that he has more than 2 songs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the problem here is you're listening to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

He is one of the best song writers and performers out there. Have you ever been to one of his concerts? How many and which albums have you actually listened to? His new album isn't great tbh but he has a lot more than 2 good songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Thank you for a good laugh on a Sunday afternoon op.

Bruce Springsteen is by far one of the most respected songwriters of all time, I'd love to know which two good songs you think he's written, because I've lost count myself. The Live in Dublin album was an artistic experiment, a change in style, and while you don't know anyone who likes him, believe me, the 32,000 people who saw those shows in May and November last year seemed to rather enjoy themselves-sorry you missed out.

I'm not even sure if you've heard a Springsteen album in full, but the idea that he's "boring" would be quickly dispelled if you'd attended one of his concerts. So I'd advise you to either listen to his back catalogue in depth, or attend a concert, before slagging off one of the few legends left in music.

He's the Boss. Simple as :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's fair enough if you hate him. That's your own opinion. But I'd question your taste to be honest, both Springsteen and Sharon Shannon are actually really good. Who do you like and listen to yourself?

Think Cremo summed it up, the problem is you're listening to the Radio. The radio ruins everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

have heard several of his albums so i can't be denied of giving him a fair chance. actually even bought the essential bruce springsteen and was very dissappointed not only because i didn't like it but also i didn't have what i would consider to be his best song (i'm on fire) on it.
    his live album is a big pile of stinking manure and radio nowhere sits proudly on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have you listened to "The Ghost of Tom Joad" (album)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I would consider "The Rising" to be one of Springsteen's best pieces of work. You should definitely listen to that - also check out "Darkness on the edge of town" another classic. "Born in the USA" which actually has the track "I'm on fire" would be one of my least favourite albums.

OP: Other than the live album, the essential and the radio nowhere single - what albums have you listened to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

not a huge fan in general but the sieger sessions is a great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Hmmm... he's overrated imo. Born to Run lp was fantastic, Born in the USA lp is horrible, apart from the infectious Dancing in the Dark.

The River lp is ok but too long, and Nebraska... well I never listen to it.

My main gripe is the guy seriously overdoes it with the 'look at me I'm from a working class American background' sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

You just come on to make a thread about you're hatred for Bruce Springsteen?,

Go to one of his shows, and see the energy he puts into each show,

his love for the shows, his love for the music, he has been pretty darn consistent throughout his career,

and always getting better,

his new album possibly his best album yet,

and to say what you did about Live 1975-85 shows how little you must know,

they are some of the best versions he has ever done of those songs,

and he is known as one of the best singer/songwriter's out there,

and has always given his fans his best, and tried to be fair to them,

with good long energetic shows with his friends The E Street Band,

unlike the Justin's and Britney's of this world, with their miming and short ass shows,

there isn't much like Bruce around these days,

and i think the reason you made this thread is out of jealousy,

and to say he is played on the Radio a lot is a load of toss,

i listen to the radio a lot in the car during work, and i have once heard him being played,

and that was on Country - FM and the song was I'm On Fire...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

not a huge bruce fan but he has some amazing records. I have no problem with your 'hate' for him either but you do listen to some awful ****e dj's/ radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I can't believe there are so many people on here who actually like Bruce Springsteen. I can't stand him. Born in the USA is just noise from start to finish, with BS screaming, and barely able to hit the notes. Most of his songs are drivel, the only exception being 'I'm on fire', and even that's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

So you've not heard Thunder Road then, have you?

Yes I have, but does it matter? He's not a great musician, he must be average, or people wouldn't listen to him, but great he's certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Well it does, insofar as you *appeared* to be typifying Springsteen as the kind of musician for whom Born in the USA was a template, when of course he's anything but. Thunder Road is of course, the direct opposite insofar as (without reverting to one-man-and-his-guitar style balladeer) it's the sound of a man and a band doing emotive rock AND managing to hit the notes.

Hey - you say potayto and i say potato; I don't see Bruce as being the be-all and end-all of modern rock music or even of older rock music. I guess, in a way, i (foolishly) rose to the bait of somebody actively stating 'hate' of the chaps music. The reason for the widespread play of his material on mainstream media is quite simple. He's back with the E Street Band with whom most of the more successful, mainstream stuff was recorded. I'm not dissing the Tom Joad/Seeger stuff but most of the stuff from his (ho ho :D) Glory Days came when Bittan, Clemons, Van Zandt et al were flinging peanuts at each other around the tour bus.

Fact is that music relases by the more 'established' artists are now events, purely cos the cruddy state of decent pop music...thus when there's *any* kind of antidote available to the latest Britney (or whatever) release, the media inevitably rely on something more established...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I blame the Boggers.

American Hicks love Bruce and and Boggers love anything that Hicks love so therefore he's always on the Radio over here.

Although having said that, I do like some of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Hicks love Bruce? Yes, I remember them being overjoyed when he headlined the pro-John Kerry Vote for Change tour in 2004.

I wish people would investigate before slapping their outdated stereotypes down. I'm sure Bruce is crying into his cereal before he plays another sold out gig tonight, knowing that only "boggers" and "hicks" like him. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I meant Bill Hicks! ;)

Anyway, I still stand by my point. Boggers love de Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

Bruce Springsteen is fantastic,he wouldnt still be as popular if that wasnt true.your all entitled to your opinions,and everyones musical tastes are different,but the boss is one of the best entertainers out there and he certainly has alot more than "two songs".
    Dancing in the dark
    Born in the USA
    Glory Days
    Thunder Road
    The River
    Im on Fire
    Bobby Jean
    Racing in the street

the list goes on, he is still making music 30 years later because people love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Cant stand the guy certainly up there with my most disliked artists of all time his songs range form chezzy crap to boring MOR muck.
    I dont understand his appeal at all.
    Dancing in the dark
    Born in the USA
    Glory Days
    Thunder Road
    The River
    Im on Fire
    Bobby Jean
    Racing in the street

All terrible songs
    Atlantic City is the only thing approaching a decent song he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

No real opinion on the guy one way or the other to be honest.
    Not a fan of his music but sure I wouldnt hold that against him.
    What would piss me off though is hearing that hes getting lots of 7to7 (7am to 7pm) mainstream airplay when there are lots of good Irish bands out there bursting their bollox who arent getting a look in on the 7to7's.

coolhandc wrote: »
    the boss

PMSL, most. retarded. name. ever. It doesn't matter what you call him, a turd is still a turd.

ned78 wrote: »
    PMSL, most. retarded. name. ever. It doesn't matter what you call him, a turd is still a turd.

Your entitled to your opinion ned,but i couldnt care less what you have to say.neither does the other couple of hundred thousand bruce springsteen fans around the world...what music would you happen to be interested in yourself just out of interest?

I have a youtube video that will convert yis all!:p

I'd give anything to meet the man

Your entitled to your opinion ned,but i couldnt care less what you have to say.neither does the other couple of hundred thousand bruce springsteen fans around the world...what music would you happen to be interested in yourself just out of interest?

Jazz, Metal, House, Classical, Rock, Rap, Swing, Rock n Roll, anything except the freak show that is Irish Country and Western, and Bruce Springsteen. You see, I'm into Music that has structure, form, melody and counterpoint, and the fact that I'm a musician probably turns me off Springsteen more than anything else - from a musical composition point of view, he's the aural form of diarrohea.

ned78 wrote: »
    Jazz, Metal, House, Classical, Rock, Rap, Swing, Rock n Roll, anything except the freak show that is Irish Country and Western, and Bruce Springsteen. You see, I'm into Music that has structure, form, melody and counterpoint, and the fact that I'm a musician probably turns me off Springsteen more than anything else - from a musical composition point of view, he's the aural form of diarrohea.

right..

:rolleyes:

no structure..

well ned,until your musical outfit has been inducted into the Rock and Roll music hall of fame alongside the likes of Led Zepp,The Rolling Stones,The Beatles and Elvis Presley, you have some ground to make up before you can go off blasting one of the inductees.
    or when you can consistently release top quality albums for over 30 years,that DJs still play on the radio.
    you can come back to me then and tell me what you think ned.
    thanks.
    and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

well ned,until your musical outfit has been inducted into the Rock and Roll music hall of fame alongside the likes of Led Zepp,The Rolling Stones,The Beatles and Elvis Presley, you have some ground to make up before you can go off blasting one of the inductees.
    or when you can consistently release top quality albums for over 30 years,that DJs still play on the radio.
    you can come back to me then and tell me what you think ned.
    thanks.
    and good luck.

I hate when people use this kind of idiotic logic.
    If you havent sold x million records your opinion is invalid its bollox.
    Its like when people say you cant slag of a footballer because you didnt play
    just because someone has sold millions of albums doesnt mean they are any good just like someone who has won a CL medal can be useless as well.
    Springsteen is to music what Djimi Traore is to football.
    Boney M sold 50 billion records doesnt mean they arnt and the rock and roll hall of fame means nothing either.
    Never every try to win an argument by saying well this movie/book/film/album sold millions of copies/got lots of radio play so it must be good its pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I haven't heard much else by Bruce Springsteen, but Born in the USA is one of the worst songs I have ever heard.

Advertisement