Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i hate bruce springsteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Jazz, Metal, House, Classical, Rock, Rap, Swing, Rock n Roll, anything except the freak show that is Irish Country and Western, and Bruce Springsteen. You see, I'm into Music that has structure, form, melody and counterpoint, and the fact that I'm a musician probably turns me off Springsteen more than anything else - from a musical composition point of view, he's the aural form of diarrohea.

Oh learned musician! We are but simple people! Judge us not for our simple pleasures, for we not know not the error of our ways! Please, come teach us about well structured music, for surely it must be better than this "Springsteen" us mere mortals have been listening to! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry about the sarcasm dripping from that, even if you're not about the snobbery dripping from yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,134 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bruce Springsteen gets a big meh from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

Fact is that music relases by the more 'established' artists are now events, purely cos the cruddy state of decent pop music...thus when there's *any* kind of antidote available to the latest Britney (or whatever) release, the media inevitably rely on something more established...[/QUOTE]

you seem to be of the opinion that if someone has a dislike of bruce that their cd collection is jam packed with brittney, justin and every crap pop that pollutes the airways. how wrong
    and just because i say that i hate bruce is not to say that i give him no credit as a serious recording artist. credit must be given to him for his longevity in a dog eat dog music industry and for constanly changing his style and not ploughing out the same stuff over and over
    but that doesn't mean i have to like him

But that wasn't what the tone of your original post suggested.

Put it this way-I'm not a big fan of Paul Weller, I respect the fact that he's survived so long and is important to many people. I dislike him, but I don't hate him.

tone is still the same. still have to change the channel on the radio every time he comes on. would rather listen to every thing the thrills ever recorded (i think everyone can relate to how painful that would be) than have to listen to the rising or the seiger sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

ned78 wrote: »
    Jazz, Metal, House, Classical, Rock, Rap, Swing, Rock n Roll, anything except the freak show that is Irish Country and Western, and Bruce Springsteen. You see, I'm into Music that has structure, form, melody and counterpoint, and the fact that I'm a musician probably turns me off Springsteen more than anything else - from a musical composition point of view, he's the aural form of diarrohea.

Can we get one thing straight, Bruce is (predominantly) not country and western (A label I despise) He is plain old Rock and in my opinion is the greatest musician of all time. From Darkness on the Edge of Town, to Nebraska to the Rising and his new album Magic In my opinion, hes pure gold all the way through.

As for the argument that his songs dont have structure....er what? Are you talking about Verse chorus Verse or something else entirely? I honestly don't know what to make of this argument. Just because you are a musician does not mean you know all there is to know about music or 'musical composition'. ( I realize this has already been said)

Aside from anything you don't sell millions of records and sell out stadiums.

I'm struggling to understand your feelings on him. You say that you respect him for his longevity and changes in musical style, but then say you'd rather listen to The Thrills.

Now, the insinuation is that The Thrills are rather awful, and infamous for plowing the same old stuff time after time. Your description above of Bruce that I just referred to indicates a sort of grudging respect, a "i don't like him, but i respect him" sort of thing. Like I say, I have many bands and artists I don't like, and would indeed change the radio, but i don't hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

He can hate whoever he damn well likes even if he does respect them. Jesus. There's this thing called being human. It's pretty messy, cyborgs and AI may have difficulty with the concept.

You're right, but on the plus side, I have a pentium processor for a brain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What RAM? :p

• Advertisement

I actually have an electronica album coming out next month called "Born to Ram". Doubtless it won't be considered cool, but I hope to forge a 30 year career out of it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

dantes74 wrote: »
    Fact is that music relases by the more 'established' artists are now events, purely cos the cruddy state of decent pop music...thus when there's *any* kind of antidote available to the latest Britney (or whatever) release, the media inevitably rely on something more established...
    FURTHER QUOTE...you seem to be of the opinion that if someone has a dislike of bruce that their cd collection is jam packed with brittney, justin and every crap pop that pollutes the airways. how wrong
    and just because i say that i hate bruce is not to say that i give him no credit as a serious recording artist. credit must be given to him for his longevity in a dog eat dog music industry and for constanly changing his style and not ploughing out the same stuff over and over
    but that doesn't mean i have to like him

I think that's my original quote you're referring to there; i certainly didn't mean to insinuate that disliking bruce is axiomatic with loving sugar-coated pop music, because it isn't. Actually I like Bruce and honest-to-god decent (not cruddy!) Pop music if it's done right as well. Go figure!

The point i was rather clumsily trying to make was that the OP had questioned why in the hell Bruce Springsteen is getting so much airplay when you consider he's a has been. (i'm paraphrasing - not my own opinion)

I was merely trying to say that due to his past successes and so on and the fact that the music would be a little more raw and under-produced meant that there's a natural inclination of media outlets to get excited about his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Horses for courses really, I don't know how anyone could fail to love even minor Springsteen songs like Night or She's the One, but then again, I strongly suspect that Radiohead's last few albums have been elaborate jokes on guillable students. for me, give me straight up, feel good rock but such simple tastes clearly aren't for everyone.

do agree with you on the radiohead thing but we must remember that their first 3 albums are classics

Pablo Honey's far from a classic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Kid A is Radiohead's best album.

Stupid guitar rock elitists.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Yeah, I never really liked Pablo Honey that much. OK Computer and Kid A are Radioheads best albums IMO.

As for Springsteen, I'm not really into him either. Lyrics great and raw emotion yeah, but pretty humdrum songs and boring chord progressions. I hate the E-Street band too, that s***e cheesy sax playing, grrrrr..

Cormac

http://sonicbids.com/duped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I can't believe there are so many people on here who actually like Bruce Springsteen. I can't stand him. Born in the USA is just noise from start to finish, with BS screaming, and barely able to hit the notes. Most of his songs are drivel, the only exception being 'I'm on fire', and even that's not great.
    lol, i'd say you are a great musician. :rolleyes:

Born in the USA is an amazing song that unfortunately a lot of people misinterpret as a patriotic song. It is an extremely ironic song that sums up the USA. The way the song is sung and the music that is used is what makes the song ironic.

Here you have a guy that came back from Vietnam where he is just handed and asked a gun "to go and kill the yellow man". Then he comes back after "serving" his country and goes looking for a job and is told by employers that "son, if it was up to me". He can't get a job after fighting for his country and when he asks the Veterans Association he is told "son don't you understand". In the mean time between each of these verses he is singing/shouting "born in the USA, I was born in the USA" that kind of starts of like a patriot shout but ends more like a cry of disbelief.

Born in the USA is a great song - the album is by no means Bruce's best in my opinion though.

There is a great version of Born in the USA on the Live in NY City DVD.
    You see, I'm into Music that has structure, form, melody and counterpoint, and the fact that I'm a musician probably turns me off Springsteen more than anything else - from a musical composition point of view, he's the aural form of diarrohea.
    lol, and you call yourself a musician. LOL :D:D:D:D:rolleyes::D:D:D:rolleyes:

I'd say you are a musical genius alright! LOL :D:D:D:rolleyes:

axer wrote: »
    Here you have a guy that came back from Vietnam where he is just handed and asked a gun "to go and kill the yellow man". Then he comes back after "serving" his country and goes looking for a job and is told by employers that "son, if it was up to me". He can't get a job after fighting for his country and when he asks the Veterans Association he is told "son don't you understand". In the mean time between each of these verses he is singing/shouting "born in the USA, I was born in the USA" that kind of starts of like a patriot shout but ends more like a cry of disbelief.

Born in the USA is a great song - the album is by no means Bruce's best in my opinion though.
    I don't care about the lyrics, that's not what I listen to music for. All I hear when I listen to that song is a crappy riff, an annoying, repetitive drum beat and some guy who can't sing shouting "Born in the USA!".

"Can't" sing?

Same way that Bob Dylan, John Lennon etc "can't" sing? :rolleyes:

For the record, listen to any stripped down Springsteen song, for example the version of Highway Patrolman from Live in Dublin, or Devil's Arcade from Magic, and tell me he can't sing.

• Advertisement

Bob Dylan can't sing very well. He makes up for it by the fact that his songs are musically actually pretty good. Can't say I'm his biggest fan though. I think John Lennon is actually an all right singer, though I'm not his biggest fan either.

Bruce Springsteen though, I just don't get it.

*shrug

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I don't care about the lyrics, that's not what I listen to music for.
    Why would you say that Born in the USA is the worst song you have ever heard when you say you don't even listen to the words? That sounds stupid.
    All I hear when I listen to that song is a crappy riff, an annoying, repetitive drum beat and some guy who can't sing shouting "Born in the USA!".
    That says more about you than the artist.

Why would you say that Born in the USA is the worst song you have ever heard when you say you don't even listen to the words? That sounds stupid.
    Well, I didn't say it was the worst. But in any case, lyrics happen to be quite far down my list of things that make songs appeal to me.
    That says more about you than the artist.
    That I don't like that type of music or understand it's appeal? Pretty much, yep.

Bob Dylan can't sing very well. He makes up for it by the fact that his songs are musically actually pretty good.

Not to be pedantic, but I'd imagine Dylan is regarded far more for his lyricism than his muscianship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but I'd imagine Dylan is regarded far more for his lyricism than his muscianship

Completely agree. In fact, I once studied a Bob Dylan song as part of my poetry course in college.

I'm a Springsteen fan without a doubt. I love the music and I love the lyrics. To me, like Dylan, you could read the lyrics of Springsteen's songs like you would poetry. The lyrics are unbelievably important, as has been pointed out by the all too common misinterpretation of Born In the USA, but if that's not what you look for in music then I suggest you stick with purely instrumental stuff.

Well, I didn't say it was the worst. But in any case, lyrics happen to be quite far down my list of things that make songs appeal to me.
    then obviously you are more into music than songs i.e. a song is lyrics with music. If you don't like him then don't listen to him. You cannot argue that a song is crap if you do not listen to the lyrics.
    That I don't like that type of music or understand it's appeal? Pretty much, yep.
    ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

it is just a case of some people apparantly don't get "real" music like the boss, lyrics are one of the most important things in the music of bruce, he is an amazing songwriter and one hell of a musician regardless of what anyone says.

and as far as his live shows go....WOW! i worked in the point depot so saw all of this seegar sessions stuff, now i did NOT like that album at all, i dont consider it a springsteen album coz imho it is not the proper boss but live it was amazing!!

if you dont consider lyrics important then all the best enjoy your westlife records!!

Huh? The appeal of the songs that Westlife cover are generally the lyrics..... I mean there's not a lot going on in a Westlife song besides the vocals. Their main selling point is catchy vocal hooks.

Lyrics aren't unimportant in modern music. All I said was that they're not one of the most important elements in a song for me. The actual music has to resonate with me before I start to appreciate the lyrics. Just a matter of opinion really.

Of course, there will always be people who have some sort of elitist perception of what is "real music" and consider things that are clearly subjective to be absolute facts "regardless of what anyone says", which is rubbish really.

Huh? The appeal of the songs that Westlife cover are generally the lyrics..... I mean there's not a lot going on in a Westlife song besides the vocals. Their main selling point is catchy vocal hooks.
    I disagree, its their image that is most important - thats what sells their cds not their musical, writing or vocal talent. Surprisingly I could go into a recording studio and make a record that sounds like I can sing very well! (obviously those who know me wouldn't believe it! ;))

I have a huge respect for artists like Bruce Springsteen who write their own songs - well written songs at that (none of that james blunt crap).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

hES A legend!! Love him!

Advertisement