Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Spoiler

• 21-10-2007 5:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

The announcement was made official at UFC 77. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on. Hope he doesn't go for any shooting star presses when he fights.

It's a good thing Randy Couture left though as Brock would have given him an F-5. :D

Any thoughts on how he'll fare there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Who knows. If they throw him in at the deep end, there's a good chance he'll sink. But if they give him time to develop, he could be a monster in 2 years.

In saying all that besides a notable few, the Heavy weight division isn't as stacked as most of the other divisions in the UFC.

My initial reaction was joy. Then I thought "Dana needs to sort Randy's contract out and go make some mega money between him and Lesnar".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hopefully he will get on about as well as he did with the minnesota vikings :D

in 3 years time i predict we will have the chance of seeing lesnar compete in american idol, i hear he was a good singer in school :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

eh spoiler?????!

the show hasn`t even aired over here and you put this up ruining the surprise announcement???

wtf! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Agreed wit woooo232.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yup. Thanks a million FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

gimmick wrote: »
    Yup. Thanks a million FFS.

Why don't you kickbox him about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The announcement was made official at UFC 77. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on. Hope he doesn't go for any shooting star presses when he fights.

It's a good thing Randy Couture left though as Brock would have given him an F-5. :D

Dude! That was lame on you're part MNG, considering you don't even consider yourself much of an MMA fan, doesn't mean you have to spoil it for those of us who are! :(

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It was clearly unintentional

I'm sure it was, but that doesn't take the spoiler back does it?
    VR!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It was clearly unintentional

How is posting the spoiler in the title of the thread unintentional?! FFS its not like you would even have to log into the pro-wrestling section it would jump out at you on the main page.

How hard is it for ppl to understand the rules about not posting spoilers? Just what is so bloody complicated about it?:mad:

Its a cardinal sin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As VR! said, he's not too familiar with UFC. He might not know the setup or what not. Also, this is the Pro Wrestling forum first and foremost whereas the Martial Arts is the first stop for MMA. I'm not a fan of UFC but I would like to know what's happening to Brock and if he'd return to pro wrestling. Given that it now seems clear that he won't, I'm not sure that spoilers were integral in a PRO WRESTLING FORUM (though, TBH I don't care about the MMA postage here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bubs101 wrote: »
    As VR! said, he's not too familiar with UFC. He might not know the setup or what not. Also, this is the Pro Wrestling forum first and foremost whereas the Martial Arts is the first stop for MMA. I'm not a fan of UFC but I would like to know what's happening to Brock and if he'd return to pro wrestling. Given that it now seems clear that he won't, I'm not sure that spoilers were integral in a PRO WRESTLING FORUM (though, TBH I don't care about the MMA postage here)

Are you suggesting that MMA takes a back seat on this board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that MMA takes a back seat on this board?

I wouldn't use the word back seat, but this is primarily a Pro-Wrestling forum, isn't it?

It discusses Pro Wrestling, Amateur Wrestling, and MMA.
    I could have sworn we had a charter somewhere??!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Uh, how was this a spoiler exactly? It didn't pertain to the show results itself which I did not touch on. It's information regarding the acquisition of a new star.
    woooo32 wrote:
    How hard is it for ppl to understand the rules about not posting spoilers? Just what is so bloody complicated about it?

Its a cardinal sin.

I don't consider it a spoiler. It's news that you heard here as opposed to on the show itself.

As for the cardinal sin stuff, shove it up your arse. I oppose spoilers as much as anybody.

Uh, how was this a spoiler exactly? It didn't pertain to the show results itself which I did not touch on. It's information regarding the acquisition of a new star.

It didn't bother me first off but I can see why it bothered others. Its kind of like not giving away the results of a Raw taped yesterday (but being showed tomorrow) but saying that Sting was announced as signed on the show.

In other words, you spoiled peoples chance to be shocked/excited when they saw Brock on the show tonight on Bravo as being signed for the first time.

It discusses Pro Wrestling, Amateur Wrestling, and MMA.
    I could have sworn we had a charter somewhere??!

VR!

I mean if you look at the number of topics on the board, it is mainly PW topics, not as many MMA and i can't remember any amateur wrestling topics.

Minto wrote: »
    I mean if you look at the number of topics on the board, it is mainly PW topics, not as many MMA .

Not as many but they've noticeably grown over the last year.

Not as many but they've noticeably grown over the last year.

I'm not denying it, nor am I going to get into a PW Vs. MMA battle, especially with the Podcast with VR and MNG tomorrow night (cheap plug!!), but it is still predominantly PW threads on this board.

It didn't bother me first off but I can see why it bothered others. Its kind of like not giving away the results of a Raw taped yesterday (but being showed tomorrow) but saying that Sting was announced as signed on the show.

I don't agree with that analogy though because Sting hasn't been in talks with WWE whereas it's well documented that Lesnar has been in talks with UFC.

And it's not like UFC had hyped a surprise announcement prior to the event.

People presumably were intent on watching the show for the fights and none of them have been spoiled. If anything, the news that Lesnar had signed with UFC might have tempted those who weren't going to watch it to give it a look.
    Minto wrote:
    I'm not denying it, nor am I going to get into a PW Vs. MMA battle, especially with the Podcast with VR and MNG tomorrow night (cheap plug!!), but it is still predominantly PW threads on this board.

I won't be on the next podcast as I've essays to complete but you should be able to catch me on the post-Cyber Sunday one. (Hope that wasn't a spoiler! :eek:;))

• Advertisement

If anything, the news that Lesnar had signed with UFC might have tempted thsoe who weren't going to watch it to give it a look.

What about the people who were going to watch the show though? You spoiled the surprise for them. And it was a surprise. They were talking all right but things had been very quiet for the last 4 weeks. There was no sign of this happening before the event.

Don't want to get into argument over this. Rather talk about the actual topic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

The title of the post was a good sign it was going to be a spoiler in fairness so you knew what to expect coming in to read it so i dont see why everyone is so annoyed at him for posting it, he didnt tell any of the results as someone else said and you didnt have to come in and read the post, it wasnt as if you were caught off gaurd after you came in to find out it was a spoiler, the title kinda gave it away

alanjgrace wrote: »
    The title of the post was a good sign it was going to be a spoiler in fairness so you knew what to expect coming in to read it

That wasn't the original title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Of course it was a spoiler. It was the exact same situation as when the very first Rey Mysterio hype video aired on WWE tv. There'd been rumblings of it for a while but nothing was confirmed until the show. I'd heard that he was sittin front row for it anyway so I was pretty sure that he'd signed, but most wouldn't have known. I changed the title earlier by the way

Alright show. I became a fan of Sylvia's somewhere in his pre-fight interview

What about the people who were going to watch the show though? You spoiled the surprise for them. And it was a surprise. They were talking all right but things had been very quiet for the last 4 weeks. There was no sign of this happening before the event.

Don't want to get into argument over this. Rather talk about the actual topic.

Again I don't see it as a surprise spoiled when it was common knowledge that they were after the guy. It's confirmation of news.

It was reported recently that WWE were keen on using the Jackass guys for an angle at the Royal Rumble. Now if I came on to the board and saw a heading which read "Jackass guys signed with WWE" and that it was announced on Raw, I wouldn't start throwing a wobbler and complaining about the show having been spoiled for me.

Considering this is a forum primarily for WRESTLING, I'd say the signing by UFC of one of wrestling's biggest stars of the past decade was newsworthy. I'm disappointed that Fozzy went ahead and changed the title of the post.

Apparently MMA outranks wrestling on the wrestling forum!

After a UFC show in March I posted a pretty dodgy thread that basically spoiled the show in my excitement. I was really sorry that I spoiled the show for anyone.

If I posted what you did and some people felt like I spoilt something for them, I'd be sorry too. People come on here to further their enjoyment of pro-wrestling or MMA or whatever and if I thought I hurt that by ruining a pretty cool moment for them, I'd be honestly sorry about it even if I thought my point was on the money.

And you did spoil the surprise of seeing Brock in the UFC for the first time with your thread title. And you do know that there's about 6 or 7 regulars on this board that both like pro-wrestling and MMA.

I've no more to say on it.

Again I don't see it as a surprise spoiled when it was common knowledge that they were after the guy. It's confirmation of news.

It was reported recently that WWE were keen on using the Jackass guys for an angle at the Royal Rumble. Now if I came on to the board and saw a heading which read "Jackass guys signed with WWE" and that it was announced on Raw, I wouldn't start throwing a wobbler and complaining about the show having been spoiled for me.

There's a big difference between a guy like Lesnar who could change the look of the UFC and some guys like the Jackass guys being brought in for some comedy crap. It's the exact equivalent to WWE having a PPV tonight where they announce that they've signed Jericho and have an interview with him, and then making a thread tomorrow saying that Jericho was on the PPV. It's common knowledge that he's in talks, but his first appearance on camera is still going to be a spoiler!
    Considering this is a forum primarily for WRESTLING, I'd say the signing by UFC of one of wrestling's biggest stars of the past decade was newsworthy. I'm disappointed that Fozzy went ahead and changed the title of the post.

Apparently MMA outranks wrestling on the wrestling forum!

I changed the title in case any other people didn't want to be spoiled. There's obviously a large crossover audience on here between wrestling and MMA. Yes, the announcement is newsworthy, but it still spoils the moment when you're watching the show. It's not about MMA or wrestling, it's about spoilers

I'm surprised we're still debating this

Fozzy wrote: »
    There's a big difference between a guy like Lesnar who could change the look of the UFC and some guys like the Jackass guys being brought in for some comedy crap. It's the exact equivalent to WWE having a PPV tonight where they announce that they've signed Jericho and have an interview with him, and then making a thread tomorrow saying that Jericho was on the PPV. It's common knowledge that he's in talks, but his first appearance on camera is still going to be a spoiler!

Well the Jericho thing has been teased for a while and is part of an ongoing mystery so that would count as a spoiler. I genuinely don't feel the news that Brock Lesnar has signed with UFC is a spoiler because, to me at least, it was always going to happen based on the events of recent months.

I do however take what Vince said on board so to anybody who feels I spoiled their enjoyment of UFC 77 by posting the information, I apologise.

I simply went on to Wrestling Observer and spotted the announcement and felt it was worthy of discussion. No offence was intended. Again apologies to anybody who feels aggrieved.

i am always of the opinion that if you don't want to be spoiled then DON'T go on the web and enter wrestling discussions boards ;) If it worried me i would stay the hell away from websites like this, but hey thats just me..........

• Advertisement

I don't consider it a spoiler. It's news that you heard here as opposed to on the show itself.

As for the cardinal sin stuff, shove it up your arse. I oppose spoilers as much as anybody.

My only gripe in all of this is if you could have waited just one day. That way we could have had the chance to watch the show and find out ourselves. Yeah, it was talked about beforehand, but nothing was official until that day. And therefore it was a spoiler. It didn't wreck any results of the show or anything, but it would have been nice to give some of the guys a chance to find out for themselves.

And i know you're opposed spoilers, which is why your one was a shocker. You can come back with the "I don't see it as a spoiler" retorts, sadly you're in a minority there.

Podcast recording has been shuffled to next week as we're all in a bad way this monday for timing. I'll touch on that on the thread later tho.

VR!

Just from Brocks first interview on the show, you can already tell that he'll bring what he knows about promotion from pro-wrestling to the table.

Wasn't a great interview or anything but I just got the impression that kinda of like Frank Shamrock or Tito Ortiz, he gets it. He understands the game.

Oh yeah! He looks like his head and his heart are in the right place for the first time in years. He's pumped up and excited for his first match. For the first time in years, i was actually happy for the guy. I still hated his attitude in his last days of WWE, with not wanting to work with Eddie Guerrero and wanting his own jet plane and all that.

Here's hoping he's gotten a reality check from past experiences. Will be interesting to see his first UFC fight. Although if I wanted to be mean spirited, i could hope Dana can sign Fedor so he can knock Brocks head off :D:D:D

VR!

Well that ain't happening. There's a press conference today with Fedor and M1 I think. 12 million dollars for 5 fights was the agreement apparently.

I think it depends on how you want to handle him. Do you throw him at the deep end and make big fights (and risk him getting beaten) now or do you build him up slowly in the hope that further down the line, him facing a top guy will mean more?

I think it would be a huge mistake to throw him in there with guys who are good but aren't necessarily as over with the crowd as their talent suggests they should be. Especially if you want to build him up gradually. Guys like Gonzaga should be a no no.

Nogueira should be completely off limits for the immediate future, although I'd like to see it.

I think a Brad Imes is a fine starting point. And then gradually go from there if you want to build him up rather than throw him in at the deep end.

Or if they made an agreement with Randy, just from a business perspective it would be the fight to make. It would be pretty hard to justify Lesnar getting a title shot but if you have a fight that lots of people would pay to see, I think you should run with it. Throw him in at the deep end!

EDIT: I forgot about Cro Cop. Make it Dana!

With the choke streak Mirko Cro-Cop has been on, Dana isnt gonna throw him in there with Brock. Mark my words on that!

VR!

Isn't that a reason too though? They have more or less given up on Cro Cop at this stage anyway. Signing him has made them no money at all and there isn't really a whole lot you can do with him at this stage.

Actually, I think there's alot of upside to a fight like this. If Brock wins, he beat Mirko Cro Cop (albeit a Cro Cop with a tainted reputation) and probably put the final nail in the coffin of his career.

If Mirko wins by kicking him in the head, it's a high profile win that could kick start his career and give him the kind of momentum he wouldn't get avenging Kongo, a guy nobody cares about.

• Advertisement

Not going to go and create a new MMA thread.

Some of ye may have heard, Randy Orton's lil bro had his first MMA match last night and won (don't mean to spoil it on anyone ;) ), does anyone know what promotion he fights for? Kinda interested in finding it!

Funny you mention this, but imagine Orton going to MMA if things didn't work out for him in WWE.

I'd love to see how long he'd last if he tried taking a dump in one of the ring girls bags! :D
    VR!

I think it was last month that Orton's brother fought. Don't know the name of the promotion he fought for, there's probably nearly as many MMA indy promotions as wrestling indy promotions at this stage

I think it was last month that Orton's brother fought. Don't know the name of the promotion he fought for, there's probably nearly as many MMA indy promotions as wrestling indy promotions at this stage

Ah wel, knew it was a long shot!

a poor quality video of the fight is on youtube under "Nate Orton's fight at Richard's, 9/29/07"

• Advertisement

From mmascoops.com :
    MMAScoops.com has learned that Brad Imes has been contacted by UFC and is being talked about as a possible opponent for Brock Lesnar's UFC's debut fight in February of 2008.

MMAScoops.com is going to post a major update on this later today.

The only three losses of Imes's career have come in the UFC. I see number four on its way!

The only three losses of Imes's career have come in the UFC. I see number four on its way!

imes is a huge guy and lesnar will have alot of trouble with him. I would have loved to see lesnar attempting to get within 5 feet of Hong-Man Choi, had that match gone ahead :D

I have avoided boards since yesterday because I was pissed at this being ruined on me and because I had my say yesterday I was going to leave it at that. But since you decided to address me directly I feel I should respond.

I don`t care how you dress it up, you f*cked up! Don`t give me this BS about it not being a spoiler. FFS that would be like saying if I posted a thread saying Shawn Michaels returned to RAW a few weeks ago and then defending it by saying well he works for the company you know, how can it be a spoiler if somebody who works for a company turns up on their tv?! Which would obv be BS just like your ridiculous excuse.

Secondly we all make mistakes and if you had of just came on here like a man and said sorry guys I wasn`t thinking then I would be cool about it. I remember when Vince posted the spoiler thread for UFC last March I was really angry with him. But he was decent enough to come on and apologise when he realised that he had made a mistake and I respected him for it.

You can say what you like, posting of spoilers on here is a cardinal sin. And no matter how you dress it up, you did just that.

And I`m so sick of ppl here saying that this is a pro-wrestling board and not an MMA one... well welcome to 2007 when MMA is Pro-Wrestling!!! Just because it is not the version of professional wrestling that most ppl are used to does not mean that it is any less valid. In fact if you go back to the roots of pro-wrestling, jiu-jitsu and grappling are a whole lot more relevant to where pro-wrestling came from than a moonsault. MMA has angles with faces and heels and programmes are built up just as much as they are in pro-wrestling. Except that they nearly always make sense in MMA which is not usually the case in pro-wrestling and they don`t usually insult your intelligence.

Why do you think that almost every respected pro-wrestling journalist covers MMA on an even keel to wrestling? In fact MMA is much more at home on this board than it is in Self-Defence and Martial Arts because it is little to do with Self-Defence and unlike most Martial Arts it is not obcessed with belts and forms.

And you know for all those saying well why come into the pro-wrestling section if you don`t want something ruined... well two things... you just have to log onto Boards and you can see the damn title of the thread on the main page if a new posting is made in it... So should I have to avoid the whole of Boards just because somebody can`t be arsed to follow the rules about spoilers? And secondly I for one thought that most ppl here understood the rules on spoilers. I mean how many times has Fozzy explained it??? He has it in his signature FFS! But yet idiots continue to post spoilers. It baffles me!

Look MNG I see you appologised later on so thats grand and I for one will leave it at that. Fair play and hopefully you have learned your lesson.

/rant over:p

Oh and as for UFC Anderson Silva is, in my opinion, the best pound for pound fighter in the world! The guy is so dynamic, I really don`t see anybody at his level in the middleweight division.

woooo232 wrote: »

Oh and as for UFC Anderson Silva is, in my opinion, the best pound for pound fighter in the world! The guy is so dynamic, I really don`t see anybody at his level in the middleweight division.

I think during his entrance he levitated to the ring! Everything he does looks so easy. Observe!

dancedodging.gif

I think during his entrance he levitated to the ring! Everything he does looks so easy. Observe!

dancedodging.gif

I remember watching that during the fight and coming to the conclusion that he is from The Matrix and can slow down time like Neo! That is actually one of the most amazing things I have seen in a fight... the confidence to do that is amazing!

Anderson Silva is now my favourite fighter in the whole world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

rossie1977 wrote: »
    imes is a huge guy and lesnar will have alot of trouble with him. I would have loved to see lesnar attempting to get within 5 feet of Hong-Man Choi, had that match gone ahead :D

I don't think Brock will have trouble with big guys or getting in on people with good reach.

He's a two time NCAA wrestling champion. He knows how to take people down. It's what he does when he has them down that's important.

woooo232 wrote: »
    /rant over:p

Lol, dude, i know you were totally in the right and all, but after reading all that, leaves me with one question.

Who was the unlucky bastard who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? :)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

dancedodging.gif

This is blasphemy! This is madness!!

Madness?

THIS IS SILVA!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I wish Silva was my friend, you'd never have to worry about scumbags starting on you. He'd wipe them out in about 12 seconds. Them = any amount by the way:D

Lol, dude, i know you were totally in the right and all, but after reading all that, leaves me with one question.

Who was the unlucky bastard who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? :)
    VR!

Haha I actually wrote that rant last night! And I was annoyed that it was 2am and I was up for work in five hours cos I stayed up watching UFC late. And then I came on here and was incensed by reading this thread! Thankfully the rant soothed my anger and I woke up 5 hours later tired but with perfecctly normal cornflakes!

Just wondering, who do ppl think should be Anderson Silva's next challenger/ victim? I'm struggling to think of anybody.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement