Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Modem Gateway Problems

Options
  • 21-10-2007 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey all.
    I've recently had an Eircom phoneline/broadband line installed.
    Just yesterday I recieved the modem in a box.

So basically...
    I've set up the whole modem, installed drives, used the phone filters, ect.

Now I connect my Ethernet cable into the motherboard on my computer and try and connect to the firefox and nothing happens. Then, I try to connect via wireless and I get a wireless connection but when I try to connect in firefox again it doesn't load up either.

I've tried a eircom modem help test and whenever I take it it says that the Gateway is not connecting properly.
    The Modem's LEDs are all properly lighten up, i.e : power, Ethernet, Wireless, Internet, DSL all lighten up.

When I've tried connecting to the internet with the other laptop it connects.
    No gateway problems, works both with wireless and Ethernet.

Can anyone help? :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

I previously had the 3 DATA Modem install on the computer if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Set your PC to Automatic/DHCP in TCP/IP properties on the connection?

Also uninstall the 3 software and make sure your browser is using "Local Area Connection" not "Dialup".

3G/HSDPA USB modem is essentially serial dialup.

watty wrote: »
    Set your PC to Automatic/DHCP in TCP/IP properties on the connection?

Also uninstall the 3 software and make sure your browser is using "Local Area Connection" not "Dialup".

3G/HSDPA USB modem is essentially serial dialup.

Ok, thanks the wireless is working, but I'm still not getting anything on the Ethernet connection.

I'm not even sure if the ethernet is regestered to the computer.
    I'm guessing that the local network connection is the "1394 connection" I keep seeing in network connections.

(Also I have Hamachi installed if it matters).

Disable the 1394
    That is Firewire / iLink, Camcorders & iPods don't use it as a Network and work better with that disabled.

See is ethernet enabled in BIOS (F2 or DEL when PC booting).

I went to BIOS and found that my LAN was disabled and I enabled it, but unforunately it still doesn't work.

When I check under device manager my "ethernet controller" is marked under "other devices" and it's got an exclaimation mark on the icon.

• Advertisement

you need to download a driver. Or it might be on a CD that came with your PC.

So, I downloaded a driver, nothing.

So I....

...decided to go out and buy an ethernet card because my onboard LAN port wasn't working.

So, I open up my computer, put the card in the free PCI slot above my sound card, bolt the computer back up and I'm greeted with :

*** LAN CABLE FAIL : Please check Lan cable is connected to Onboard LAN correctly *** (Or something like that)

I pressed F1 and avioded this, and everything starts loading up and I get half way through Booting up my OS (Windows XP) when the computer suddenly reboots.

And so I intially decided to disable the onboard LAN in BIOS, which I did.

And the "LAN cable fail" error is gone but when I tried to boot up the OS it still crashes.

THEN :

The LED on the Card is on, so I know its installed properly and It shows up on the Modem as well, but I decided to remove the Ethernet card anyway,
    And I tried both with the Onboard LAN disabled and enabled and It still reboots at the OS loading.

(So naturally I just put the card back in, because its not making a difference anymore).

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Check your device manager. Does it show anything there? Any IRQ notifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I previously had the 3 DATA Modem install on the computer if it makes a difference.

It sounds like a conflict with the original drivers for the 3 data modem.

Boot into Safe Mode & remove the original drivers for the 3 data Modem.

Reinstall the drivers for your new NIC card & reboot.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement