Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hello.....

Options
  • 21-10-2007 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi people - have been a member of boards for a few years but didnt realsie the whole overclocking thing had a little spot here!.....
    Is this irelands corner for overclockers or is there a forum they all hang out?

any way my first post in thius forum is a double edged sword. Firstly hi, and secondly help!

I have a g0 q6600 currently running at 3.6 on air though with questionable temps!
    i have ordered my arctic spider and neoprane and mawell 600-24 so am looking to run the chip pretty cool.. I cant quite take to phase change and have a weakness for peltiers from the dut3c amd days so am eager to get set up again.

I have spent weeks on shops doing "practice runs" if you will but always get to the cart and whimp out cause i am not totally sure what to get and from where. I know i will need to shop in more than one shop but need to keep it to 2 if possible.

So firstly i am trying to decide wether to run my system on a bench instead of a case, what are peopples thoughts on this? it would make for easier routing of everything though everything is exposed?

Secondly i have a spare meanwell 300-12 psu and am considering getting a tec block instead of a water block for the gpu - is there much to be got out of a radeon x1900xtx??? and what watt peltier module would you reccomend for this card? Also i have never run 2 pelts before and the arctic spider one is 437 watts!! is it possible to run the same H20 loop cooling the two blocks?? or will it be better served for making water for tea??

Lastly i want to run the mosfets and northbridge in a loop as well which is fine as i have a little 120.1 rad and eheim submered 600 pump which is fine for a low power loop but my question is if i dont add the tec gpu and go with a standard gpu block will the g1/8 connections of the mosfet block adversly affect the flow of a system with a gpu block in it so that the gpu is poorly cooled?

I knpw its an essay of a post but any thoughts would be welcome as i dont know anyone into this strufff where i live and its nice to think out loud and get some feedback from others who do.

personaly i am leaning towarsds wanting to passively cool the mosfet and nb on 3/8 hosing with my eheim 600 pump and the 120.1 rad with no fan??
    and for loop 2 i am really hoping to run a tec gpu block and arcticspider cpu block with 7/16 hosing and 3 car heatercores and hopefuly one good water pump i would like to avoid the price of 2 pumps thats for sure.

anyway enough said, comments appreciated
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

...hello right back at ya

thats really is an essay of a post...i might give it a read later on...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

right...done reading:D

what are questionable temps? (idle and load)

you want it on a bench?...friend of mine mounted his mobo to the wall, looks pretty class and very decent for cooling. seein as its on the wall, its not in too much of a precarious position.

dont know anythin about water cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Honestly man I wouldn't bother with a TEC, go with at least a single stage if you want to do anything sub ambient. If you're just looking to keep your chip cool at those clocks and bit more just set up a nice water loop, which you'd need for the TEC anyway. The inefficiency is just stupid on the size of a TEC you need for a quad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sorry i like tecs and uneconomical cars,
    dont know why but i get a kick out of em,
    any way i own the two mawells (600-24 and 320-12) i have the 2in 2 out arctic spider 437 watt tec block all the neoprane yadda yadda yadda,
    so i have made the decision to go tec already - may not be sub zero may not be the best buts its all fun right, i wont be tweaking my sytem for benchies and scores for showing off so sub abient temps will do me fine....

my questions were more concerning the loops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hi, and welcome :D

I would imagine, you would be best to run 2/3 loops. Especially if your running a 400w+ tec. Connecting a 8/10 to a 1/2" id Would kill the flow i would have thought (Unless you have a swimming pool pump ;) ). So keeping the mofsets seperate with the 120.1 would be a good idea. I dont really see the point in adding a tec to the gpu, as its not the most overclockable card going. A good full (gpu/ram) block will do you fine. But if you do go without a tec on the gpu you could loop the gfx/mofsets together. A 120.2 will do for this with good fans like s-flex's or papst or even xilence fans. (1200/1600rpm)

I have run a pelt on a x1950pro before, with a big hs and 2 120mm fans. The gpu was keeping at around 70c(max o/c) . But I would say the heatsink was well over 100c. You couldn't even touch off it for a brief instance without loosing skin. And this was with only a 70w tec.

As for the cpu, i have a B3 And the temps are stupid. 75c load with a 125cfm fan. So i will be going into watercooling.....again..... As soon as some blocks become available for my board <snip> :D Keep guessing Awhir

I would imagine Unseen would be your best bet for advice on this, as he builds phase change units, and i would imagine he has experience with tec/pelts.

Best of luck, and dont forget to do a work log.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

thanks for the great reply Anti and co -
    will get a worklog up allright - will be the current setup on 8mm line into a 120.1 but its a start!

Gotta start somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Wow Anti looks like you really got your Quad going then!! 3.95GHz with a B3 and low volts! How!?? :eek:

I thought I'd OC'd enough on mine to stay ahead of ya :D

I think its either luck, my new board. Or the planetary allignment with jupiter or somehting. Im amazed its semi-stable at this speed, as temps are 75c on a cold day with the window wide open. When i say semi stable its fine running folding@home, a css server for lan, and wow. But if i try to run ut3 aswell after 10 mins i get a bsod :(

I might roll back to save the chip.

Oh yeah, im using a 125cfm ys-tech fan on the cooler. Held on with sello-tape :D As the fan is a bit thicker then standard 120mm fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Nice OC all the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote: »
    Hi, and welcome :D

I would imagine, you would be best to run 2/3 loops. Especially if your running a 400w+ tec. Connecting a 8/10 to a 1/2" id Would kill the flow i would have thought (Unless you have a swimming pool pump ;) ). So keeping the mofsets seperate with the 120.1 would be a good idea. I dont really see the point in adding a tec to the gpu, as its not the most overclockable card going. A good full (gpu/ram) block will do you fine. But if you do go without a tec on the gpu you could loop the gfx/mofsets together. A 120.2 will do for this with good fans like s-flex's or papst or even xilence fans. (1200/1600rpm)

I have run a pelt on a x1950pro before, with a big hs and 2 120mm fans. The gpu was keeping at around 70c(max o/c) . But I would say the heatsink was well over 100c. You couldn't even touch off it for a brief instance without loosing skin. And this was with only a 70w tec.

As for the cpu, i have a B3 And the temps are stupid. 75c load with a 125cfm fan. So i will be going into watercooling.....again..... As soon as some blocks become available for my board <snip> :D Keep guessing Awhir

I would imagine Unseen would be your best bet for advice on this, as he builds phase change units, and i would imagine he has experience with tec/pelts.

Best of luck, and dont forget to do a work log.

well since you say sli its ethir 780i or skulltrain so which :D

also do you really have 2 gtx's running at that speed or is that single ?

Just single, Cant get any type of decent overclock with both. Im in the middle of preparing a build log for my new site. So all shall be reveiled soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote: »
    Just single, Cant get any type of decent overclock with both. Im in the middle of preparing a build log for my new site. So all shall be reveiled soon :)

post it here soon or .......................................:rolleyes:

Advertisement