Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word - how to use header numbers instead of page numbers

Options
  • 21-10-2007 12:16pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In word you can do numbered lists of heading levels , and if you scroll down the side it will say Page 12 2.1.3 blah blah .

Is it possible to put the 2.1.3 blah blah on the footer ?

I've tried using SEQ as below but it don't seem to pick up the numbers even when you do print preview.

Is there a variable name for the last numbered headings on a particular page that can be picked up with SEQ or VB that I can use instead of \s ?

there is a load of stuff about putting chapter numbers in footers - but that is no use as chapter numbers are really screwy

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051861901033.aspx
    \s

Resets the sequence number at the heading level following the "s". For example, { SEQ figure \s 2 } starts numbering at the Heading 2 style (style: A combination of formatting characteristics, such as font, font size, and indentation, that you name and store as a set. When you apply a style, all of the formatting instructions in that style are applied at one time.).

Plan B is to save the document in Word 2 format. This will convert all the numbered headers to plain text. And then manually cut/paste the footers. From everything I've seen on the interweb this looks like the easiest and fastest way of doing it. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If the document outline in your doc is based on Heading level then is there any chance that adding a field containing
    STYLEREF "Heading 3" \l \w
    to the footer would give you the number you want.

If that style does not exist on this page, then it'll search backward from the bottom of this page to the previous pages till it finds the last occurrence of this style.

Works on a test doc in word 2003 here, to give the effect I think you're looking for.

Sorry should be
    STYLEREF "Heading 3" \l \w
    followed by STYLEREF "Heading 3" \l
    for the text blurb.

To do a proper job would probably involve grabbing all the heading levels and doing a compare to determine the last one encountered.

Advertisement