Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a new PC??

Options
  • 21-10-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

I'm badly in need of a new PC, have been for ages!

Can anyone suggest a good place to get one please around Drogheda or Dundalk. Or even Newry.

I don't want anything fancy, it's basically just for d'interweb and email and I really need a screen bigger than my present one which is a teeny 13 inches. :eek:

And would like to keep cost to a minimum! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

PC World or go online to dell.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

eamoss wrote: »
    PC World or go online to dell.ie

Was kinda thinking anywhere but!! But thanks anyway!

Hoping someone could recommend a small place that maybe does up ex-office PCs, IYKWIM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I always use PC World myself. Maybe check the buy&sell for ex-office equip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Id keep well away from PC world. Try powercity/Havey Norman or even Dunnes Stores are selling them now if you just want somthing basic. Only purchase one where you are sure you will get a good comeback if anything goes wrong. You can see on some of the consumer threads the problems people have had with pc world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭gipi

I bought in PC world last year and (fingers crossed I don't tempt fate!!) have had no problems - you do need to know what you want though and check all boxes have what they say they have in them, errors have occured!

Tesco also sell PCs and if you only want internet/email, watch out for Lidl/Aldi offers which come up from time to time.

If your existing PC is working okay why not just buy a bigger monitor? Lidl/Aldi tend to sell them separately, as do Argos.

(I've mentioned Aldi/Lidl twice, but have no connection other than spending my hard earned cash there!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jim Campbell

there's a place in Drogheda off West Street (near the Golf Bag shop). I can't remember it's name or the street name but if you find the Golf Bag you'll find this place. Very cheap and a bit seedy lookin but they'll have something for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

are you thinking of callans ?
    I always use PC World myself. Maybe check the buy&sell for ex-office equip?

Dell are the cheapest unless you can build one or get someone to build one for you which lead on to the alternative:

Drop an email to : sales@neuralcore.net - my mate runs it and they build them themselves. Email or ring him ask for James and tell him Joe told you to go there and he'll sort you.

Thanks all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Wait for the next Aldi pc to come out...pure quality..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭light123

Hi there,

DO NOT go to PC World.

Go to Dell and buy one exactly as you see it, don't add to it and don't get an extra warrantry as its useless and expensive. If you want extra buy a better than you want.

Spend a little more than you thought and get a decent screen as you will be looking at it all the time.

good luck

• Advertisement

DO NOT go to PC World.

I had a narrow escape there.... I was all set to go in clutching the credit card and buy what I thought was an o.k pc for my budget. Luckily I had dithered for so long that they had none left! :D

So I was then given the hard sell on 2 other ones €150- €200 over budget but oh so tempting...! And then on top of that I was being "persuaded" to also buy a Norton disk for when my 3 month free trial ran out (money off now offer!) and buy Office now, get money off AND a data cable and and and....

I went home and looked up the Dell website so thats what I'm going for! (when I stop dithering over getting 1 or 2 GB RAM!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eurotrucker2000

sudzs wrote: »
    I'm badly in need of a new PC, have been for ages!

Can anyone suggest a good place to get one please around Drogheda or Dundalk. Or even Newry.

I don't want anything fancy, it's basically just for d'interweb and email and I really need a screen bigger than my present one which is a teeny 13 inches. :eek:

And would like to keep cost to a minimum! ;)
    Image Computers on the Beamore Rd. in Drogheda. I have used them twice and am very happy. They will build what you want.

Advertisement