Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Express caution

Options
  • 21-10-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wanted to caution people about this service. For those who don't know it, it's a service in the Dublin area where you can ring up or order online and have food delivered from a range of different restaurants - seems like a great idea. And in fairness, I've used it a few times and it's been fine - but last night not so much. Driver arrived about 15 minutes after he was supposed to and told me he had two very similar orders, so he stood on the doorstep and opened the meals to see which one was which. I mean, usually these things come with a seal on them so they can't be opened before you get them, but whatever. Anyway, I was standing on a dark doorstep, so I said yeah it looks like mine and took it in.

When I got in, I discovered (of course) that I'd taken the wrong delivery. So, I call the service back and they say they'll ring the driver. He shows up ten minutes later (by now about 35 minutes after I'm supposed to have got the food), I bring the delivery to the door and get ready to laugh about the misunderstanding. Instead, this guy starts giving out to me for taking the wrong food, in a really aggressive fashion. I could hardly get a word in edgeways, and ended up having to shut the door in his face to get away from him.

Ok, so far so bad - the food, which has cost me e35, is now cold, and has clearly all been opened a couple of times, and I'm in no fit state to enjoy it anyway, having just had a fight on my own doorstep. So I mail their customer service. Today, I get a response with all the usual apologies, but in the middle of it they add in - 'He is normally a happy go lucky type of guy - a big softie in fact - so it was out of character but still no excuse.' What?? I mean, I'm just after telling them this guy was aggressive and intimidating to me on my own doorstep - what makes them think I want to know he's kind to puppies and looks after his ma? Or do they think I'm making it up?

Anyway, they've given me e10 credit for my trouble, but you know what, I'll never be using the service again - so if anyone wants it... ;)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats some first post, you got a one off mistake which sounds like you were at partly responsible for and you registered just trying to badmouth them, how many sites are you doing it on? Hardly a reason for anyone else to stop using them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

If I was the driver i'd have been pi$$ed at you also. Somebody else got a cold dinner also because you took in the wrong one.
    "(by now about 35 minutes after I'm supposed to have got the food)"- This was down to you???? You had it 15mins after scheduled delivery time, had the opportunity to examine it and took it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

god forbid take away food would arrive 15 minutes after it was suppose to,and are these magic seals that only the customer can open:rolleyes:fair enough though there was no need for him to be aggressive with you,thats bang out of order

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dei

jaysis, there's some first reply! just the one site, thanks - i thought that it might be useful for people to know that they might experience this sort of thing with this particular outfit - i thought that was what this forum was for. i tend to think that people prefer not to have their food poked round in and people being ratty and intimidating with them outside their house when they get a takeout on a saturday night. that's all - sorry if it bothered you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dei wrote: »
    jaysis, there's some first reply! just the one site, thanks - i thought that it might be useful for people to know that they might experience this sort of thing with this particular outfit
    In fairness though, you decided to bad mouth a company that you've said that you've dealt with several times before without any trouble and then have one bad experience, which you contributed to in my opinion. You actually opened the food to see if it was yours and you got it wrong and then complain that it was wrong. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

I'm with the OP on this one... the onus is on the supplier to a) turn up on time & b) have each customer's order properly labelled.

I'm glad I wasn't one of the other customers that night, having my food opened at least once before it got to me... and then getting the wrong dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Reesy wrote: »
    I'm with the OP on this one... the onus is on the supplier to a) turn up on time & b) have each customer's order properly labelled.

I'm glad I wasn't one of the other customers that night, having my food opened at least once before it got to me... and then getting the wrong dinner!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness though, you decided to bad mouth a company that you've said that you've dealt with several times before without any trouble and then have one bad experience, which you contributed to in my opinion. You actually opened the food to see if it was yours and you got it wrong and then complain that it was wrong. :confused:

I disagree.

Companies shouldn't expect to be praised for DOING THEIR JOB.

ie, getting an order to a customer on time. Not delivering the incorrect order. Not having the delivery guy blame the customer for getting the incorrect item from him.

If the driver was being given two similar orders, they should have been properly distinguished at the place they were prepared. Someone in the company should have labelled each bag/box with the address for delivery. It's not too hard to comprehend.

The response the OP got was highly unprofessional also, who cares if the driver is Mother fúcking Theresa in his spare time, he was rude and abusive to the op, and blamed her for the mistake.

As much as I hate to say this, having dealt with the public, but The Customer Is Always Right.

It is up to the company to provide the service they advertise, in a driendly and efficient manner.

If they don't, the customers have a right to complain.

Baz...how many times have you complained about service to your friends/whoever?

Or do you go around telling everyone, "wow, I got a just as expected service from that establishment"

Fair enough, if the service was uber exceptional in some place, tell people, but if a shop assistant gives me the correct change, I'm hardly liable to tell everyone how good they are, am I? I just expect that level of service from an employee of a business I choose to give my custom to.

I know what you're saying Des but I was just replying to the comment that the OP made about having to warn people about this company. Saying that just gives you the impression that something horrific had happened, which imo didn't. The orders just got mixed up, which happens.

And as for your point about praising companies when they provide the service expected, I actually done that yesterday with regards to a concert I went to the other night organised by a certain promoter that we're not allowed to talk about it. It was actually organised really really well, so much so that I was telling friends about it.

But yeah, you do tend to tell more people about bad service than good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It was actually organised really really well, so much so that I was telling friends about it.

So well organised, in fact, that you had to tell people.

If it was just a run of the mill concert, you wouldn't have had to mention it.

For example.

I got the bus and luas to work this morning.

The bus was on time, got me to town in the same amount of time it usually does, and it didn't crash. The Luas was as regular as usual, I got a seat because I got on in Stephens Green, and it got me to work in time.

Just as I expect.

I'm not going to tell everyone though. Now, if the bus driver had a nice coffee and Apple Danish waiting for me, the Luas Driver gave me an Irish Times and a nice apple, then I would have told everyone.

• Advertisement

No, it was just organised the way all gigs should be, but down through the years I've gotten used to such sh1t service at gigs that the other night's organisation seemed out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dei wrote: »
    Just wanted to caution people about this service.

Don't be put off by some of the responses here. Your experience is useful - thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Amandy

Minder wrote: »
    Don't be put off by some of the responses here. Your experience is useful - thanks for posting.

I totally agree with you too. Thanks for the caution. I think it's pretty sensible you wanting to let people know about it, especially the service guy going off at you when you were willing to laugh it off. It's not acceptable and you weren't the one with a bad attitude.Fair dues to you. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Minder wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I've used Restaurant Express a good few times over the last 4 or so years and I've always found them to be fairly decent, albeit expensive. Showing up 15 minutes late is hardly a big deal so we'll scratch that out of the OP's complaint. I have to say though, being abused on your doorstep by one of the drivers is a very serious issue. Particularly if it's because of a mistake made by someone else entirely (in this case, I'm assuming that the offending party was the staff in the restaurant that was ordered from). After receiving the OP's complaint, Restaurant Express should have investigated what happened from the driver's point of view and considered disciplinary action. Failure to do this is downright negligent and could cost them their business.

dei, just as a matter of interest, what restaurant did you order from that forgot to label the meals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ryandublin

I just tried to order from them tonight. They were supposed to call in 15 minutes and if not I should call them. So I try the number and it doesn't work. It seems to be disconnected or something. Yet I got confirmation messages from their website.

To the poster above that said 15 minutes late isn't a big deal, well it is at the prices they call to deliver.

I am beginning to suspect they are no longer in business, but the robots on the website are still running.

I know the last post is from 4 years ago

Advertisement