Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV License - So I went to court on Friday...

• 21-10-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello let me start with some background:

Aug 2006 an inspector called to my door and asked me to produce my TV license. I explained that I didn't have a TV as we just moved into our new house a few weeks and at this stage did not only not have a TV did not have a fridge, cooker, floors etc... As this was our first house we were quite extended so planned on taking a long time to get stuff sorted out so TV was way down list or priorities esp. with my girlfriend doing part time masters and me working pretty hard at a project at work...

Anways... a month or two later we got a warning letter about the license so tried to call and explian the situation and was told quite sternly to just get the tv license etc... (this happened twice)

In June this year the house finally became sorted and we splashed out on tv, sky etc... also at this point got a TV license...

Anyways roll on september when I get a summons to court for not having license on Aug 2006...

Anways went along not knowing what to expect on Friday... This is where things get pretty funny...

The judge from what I gather was standing in for the normal judge and opened the days proceedings by lashing An Post legal team... I mean really really ripped them to shreds.... saying how the whole process is a complete sham... that its widely known that you can just give a false name and get away with it .. that everyone in the court was at least honest (or silly) enough to register their real names and that the whole tv license sytem is flawed at every level ... from asking for a name without asking for proof... to the inspectors not actually being able to know/tell if a tv is on the premesis etc... I was diappointed there was no court reporter ... as this 2 hour bashing session would certainly been in the papers this weekend !!!

Anways when I got called basially the inspector who is sworn in reads off the allegation (verbaitm from a piece of paper) which says something to the effect: " on the blah day I spoke to mr blah blah who admitted possession of a tv license but was not able to furnish proof etc... "

So the judge then goes "whats your explanation" .. at that point i just said that I never admitted having a tv etc... at that point I had to be sworn in .. when I stated my case the judge went off on another rant at the inspector and an post and threw my case out...

I was first into the court room that day and last out ... but my god was it an eye opening experience...

Hopefully someone picked up on the same session.... and reports...

(he was seriously considering dismissing all cases at one point to try and get his frustration across - I think from what he was saying he sits on some board every month with loads of judges and gardai where they dismiss summons - he was saying that most of that sessions time is wasted with an post/tv license cases as people can just give false names... and it takes the involvement of gardai/legal to actually get a summons revoked/dismissed etc..)

Anyone else hear about this session ???
    -A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

I haven't heard of that session, but I totally agree the TV licence system is a joke!

In 3rd year in college one of the girls in my class fell out with her housemates and moved out. They were pretty pissed and when the TV licence inspector came calling they said that their name was hers. They never bother getting a licence so all the warning letters kept arriving, and then the summons and then the notice of judgment arrived. Of course they thought this was hilarious! They kept this act up for two years by which time there were two years worth of judgments.

The girl in question only found out about it after they were boasting about it in the pub and someone told her. She then had to go get a solicitor to petition to have the judgments over turned.

It just goes to show how easy it is to get around the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah gving a false name seems to be fairly common now, I've heard of cases where they only did it as a joke yet the summons still arrived.

I cant wait for the little ****er to call to my house the next time

I'd say they spend as much on the ads as they get on the licences
    (And does anyone else ****ing hate those ads)

R T E - w*** w*** w***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

had an inspector call to the door the other day he seemed genuinely surprised when i produced the license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When i moved in to my first house in 2005 they called and my wife answered. We told them we have just moved in. We DID have a TV. The inspector, obviously a decent guy said thats grand just get one in the next couple of months and it will be grand.
    Anyway we got one about 2 weeks later and the postmaster said something like "Sure you could have waited a month or so".
    Thats westmeath for you i guess.

Do inspectors call to every door? Or do they have a list of people who their records show as not having paid and only visit them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

The system is inherently flawed, I remember I moved house about a year ago. Conversation went something like this

smcelhinney: "Brrrrring Brrrrring Brrrrring" (<-- imitating sound of telephone)
    license-dude: "Hello, TV License section"
    smcelhinney: "Hi its me, I've moved, here's my new address"
    license-dude: "Ah grand, on its way to you"
    smcelhinney: "Eh, how do you know its me?"
    license-dude: (audibly puffs on fag) "Huh?"
    smcelhinney: "I could be anyone ringing up with a false address?"
    license-dude: "Well, are you?"
    smcelhinney: "No, but thats not the point, point is.."
    license-dude: "Well no problem so, Bye".

Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 soloeffort

What happens if you are renting accomadation now, but the previous tenants got a TV license (which has since expired) and now all the warnings and letters from an post regarding TV license are addressed to the previous tenant. Legally we are not aloud to open his letters from An post??(Even tough we know what it is). Can that person still be summonsed or do we just keep ignoring the letters?

soloeffort wrote: »
    What happens if you are renting accomadation now, but the previous tenants got a TV license (which has since expired) and now all the warnings and letters from an post regarding TV license are addressed to the previous tenant. Legally we are not aloud to open his letters from An post??(Even tough we know what it is). Can that person still be summonsed or do we just keep ignoring the letters?

there is an "if not delivered" return address on the letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mine (but in my sisters name) is due for renewal by end of month. I wonder should I bother ;)

Mike..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Saruman wrote: »
    When i moved in to my first house in 2005 they called and my wife answered. We told them we have just moved in. We DID have a TV. The inspector, obviously a decent guy said thats grand just get one in the next couple of months and it will be grand.
    Anyway we got one about 2 weeks later and the postmaster said something like "Sure you could have waited a month or so".
    Thats westmeath for you i guess.

Do inspectors call to every door? Or do they have a list of people who their records show as not having paid and only visit them?
    They only visit addresses that appear to have no licence on record, hence the surprise when Ruggiebear produced his licence. The licence inspector would have been 99% sure there was no licence there before he knocked on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

soloeffort wrote: »
    Cross out the address and mark the envelope "Gone away. Return to sender." and stick it in your local post box.

• Advertisement

No doubt that will trigger a visit from the inspector.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No doubt that will trigger a visit from the inspector.
    Shhhhh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Living in Longford these days and its the first time in my 25 years I have ever seen an inspector. I didn't have a lisence but the inspector was cool about it, just said sort one out as soon as you can. I went to the post office about 4 weeks ago with direct debit form and still no Lisence in the post for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I'll give you a laugh. When I was living in rented accommodation during college a knock on the door came. I answered it and the man standing there asked me for tv licence. I told him that we were moving out the following week (which was true) and he told me it didn't matter, we were living there and therefore had to produce a licence. So I asked him what happens next (silently cursing myself for being the one too lazy to go to college and therefore being the one who opened the door) and he told me he'd have to take the tv! :eek: So I started telling him no way, it's not mine, that can't be right etc etc, all panic and growing outrage. Next thing he starts laughing and tells me he's actually selling paintings for charity. He'd knocked into the house next door before ours and did the same thing, said your man slammed the door and next thing he sees him bailing over the back wall :) So I cursed him for the fright and we had a good giggle. He goes off on his merry way, and I settle back to the tv. Ten minutes later another knock comes, another chap standing there, again asking for tv licence. I laugh and say 'ah would you ever fcuk off, I'm not falling for that **** again!' Imagine my glee when he whips out his badge and proves it! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

"Could you live with the shame?" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

micmclo wrote: »

yep

Many do. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The new ads about it are just so corny. What's the usual appearance/profile of a TV license guy?

Red Alert wrote: »
    The new ads about it are just so corny. What's the usual appearance/profile of a TV license guy?

something like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, it's a pretty light-hearted thread.

I have no idea if we have a TV licence. The house is usually empty 8am - 8pm Monday-Friday and I generally don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

If the licence inspector nevers calls, does that mean they can't issue a warning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

What I want to know is what is the real reason behind a TV license? I've heard it's for BBC to go commerical-free, but that's a joke. If BBC wanted to fund their programming, they should have an option to not watch their station. This is mandatory taxation (as even people who apparently don't have a tv are supposed to have a license...)

Another thing...I renewed my license at our rental and then moved to a mobile home a couple months later. I wouldn't (and don't) have a tv now, but can I get a renewal for the unused time on my license? No. Can I transfer the license to the new tenants (and thus get my refund via them?) No.

The entire system is crazy, unfair and should be illegal IMO. I understand the motor tax (helps maintain roads, etc), but what does a tv license pay for? I'm building my own home in the middle of nowhere, and I won't buy a tv license again, let them come and get me.

Well the local postman is a paid snitch for them. If you get post delivered then the address is on their database. No licence for that address, you get a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

what does a tv license pay for?
    If you want an equivilant, the televison broadcast network...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Of not paying for the crap that's on RTE? Sure.
    Ayla wrote: »
    What I want to know is what is the real reason behind a TV license? I've heard it's for BBC
    You in Ireland or the UK? If the UK, it's BBC. If in the Republic, it's for RTE.

the_syco wrote: »
    You in Ireland or the UK? If the UK, it's BBC. If in the Republic, it's for RTE.

Ok, so the license is to pay for what in RTE? They definitely have commercials, which is how all networks pay their bills. So why does Ireland have a tv license? I've never heard the likes for any other country (outside the UK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Well the local postman is a paid snitch for them. If you get post delivered then the address is on their database. No licence for that address, you get a visit.

Not all postmen are 'snitches' and most postmen are hardworking and our postal network and all the courtesy that come's with it, Is kept reliable by that postman.In any case anybody can common inform or complain that anyone has not got a TV licence. It is hardly fair to blame the people that represent The people that implement the TV licence. All civil servants annoy people in one way or another.

HA HA why do i care!!

It is part of their duties once a year to compile a list of addresses that they deliver to. This list is then compared to the licence database and letters/visits are generated.

My comments stand. I would be quite content to not own a tv ever again (mostly just rubbish on it anyway), but if I were to own one used just to view movies, there should be a way to cut off connection to RTE et al so we could justifiably not be taxed.

Right? If the tax is to support RTE, why is there no way to not use RTE (and thus no need to be taxed?) If they want to tax RTE viewers, fine, but don't label it a tv license...label it a RTE viewing tax or something.

Exactly why I'll not purchase a license again, come summons as they may. Until they make the system fair why should I support it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

There've been many threads on this over the years. I think the law (I'll definitely be corrected here) states that if you own a device capable of receiving a broadcast signal, then you must pay the license.
    e.g. if you have a TV and DVD player but no TV aerial or cable/satellite service then you still must pay the license. Technically a computer with a TV tuner also falls under this, and so requires a TV license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

WizZard wrote: »
    There've been many threads on this over the years. I think the law (I'll definitely be corrected here) states that if you own a device capable of receiving a broadcast signal, then you must pay the license.
    e.g. if you have a TV and DVD player but no TV aerial or cable/satellite service then you still must pay the license. Technically a computer with a TV tuner also falls under this, and so requires a TV license.
    how's about renting the house capable of receiving a broadcast signal? The landlord says it's none of his business (he lives abroad) and if you don't have a TV don't pay but if you'll get a fine you have to pay it yourself, lol

I've no TV but I live in a house "capable of" - am I still liable to be prosecuted?

RRoger wrote: »
    I've no TV but I live in a house "capable of" - am I still liable to be prosecuted?
    If you mean you have a tuner connection on your computer, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

Victor wrote: »
    If you mean you have a tuner connection on your computer, then yes.
    I don't have a tuner, if I watched RTE I'd do it online anyway

the house is connected to the "communal aerial system" but I know the slot in a wall doesn't even work cuz previous tenant told me there's no signal and if you ever want to get a TV get the aerial as well

according to the letter if you:

1. have a TV
    2. or satelite dish/aerial
    3. or you're connected to "communal aerial system"

you're opt to pay

My house is connected to the old, obviously broken aerial system that doesn't broadcast the $%£$, however the fact remains and this is my only concern.

The TV license guy will come up (do I have to let him and show him all the rooms at all??) and says, "ur house is connected to the aerial" and I'm busted...or not?

do I have to let him and show him all the rooms at all??
    No obligation.
    The TV license guy will come up and says, "ur house is connected to the aerial" and I'm busted...or not?
    I don't know.

I would say an aerial by itself does not enable tv reception. Without a tuner or a TV I would say you are safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It is part of their duties once a year to compile a list of addresses that they deliver to. This list is then compared to the licence database and letters/visits are generated.

I find this very hard to believe. Firstly, this would almost certainly be a breach of data protection legislation, as it uses data for a purpose other than that which was intended by the data owner.

But even on purely practical grounds, I can't see how this would work. How on earth could a postman be expected to remember which addresses he did/didn't deliver to 11 months ago? And even if he did, how could this work - he would have to prepare a hand-written list of addresses, which would then have to be keyed in, and matched against the list of licences.

The effort involved in making this happen would far outweigh the benefits.

• Advertisement

I find this very hard to believe. Firstly, this would almost certainly be a breach of data protection legislation, as it uses data for a purpose other than that which was intended by the data owner.
    They do indeed do this, last time I enquired I was told it was done in conjunction with the electoral register. Postman ticks off the places and writes in any new places located. This activity would be fairly benign compared to some of their other antics such as looking thru bins for the names of householders. I would agree about the questionable legalities of their actions but it is going on all the time. It is just that they have never been brought to account in the courts of their activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

They do indeed do this, last time I enquired I was told it was done in conjunction with the electoral register. Postman ticks off the places and writes in any new places located.
    Do you mean on a house-by-house basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oorjaa

Hi There,

I am new 2 Ireland, Have a valid TV License, also have a NtL connection could some one help me guide 2 get the channels or do i have 2 subscribe to ntl also.
    I would be happy with RTE ones , and later decide on getting the sky package.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

oorjaa wrote: »
    Hi There,

I am new 2 Ireland, Have a valid TV License,(LOL) Good! also have a Ntl connection could some one help me guide 2 get the channels or do i have 2 subscribe to ntl also.
    I would be happy with RTE ones , and later decide on getting the sky package.

Thanks

Well considering you have a tv licence and it is legally valid which I presume means its irish doesnt quite make it a legal post but I will try..

You mean the RTE Guide or do you want some one to tune your TV for you.
    You should be able to get RTE,tv3 etc.. with a basic aerial and in fact you could probably get BBC, C4 and itv also.NTL are a subscription company and will cost you at least 12-24 euro a month to get all the channels. If your connected and you cant tune the stations in then NTL might have disconnected your account. Try it again and check the connections are sound and check your connected properly and there isnt another socket in another room. You should at least be able to get a fuzzy RTE or C4.

Advertisement