Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, the new FM game....

Options
  • 21-10-2007 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,968 ✭✭✭✭

So, how is everyone finding the new game?

I'm enjoying it.

Started as United, as I always do, to get a feel for the game - have won the leage, into the CL and FA cup finals.

Liverpool really suck in it though - they have sacked Raha, hired and Ramos and sacked him too, and the first season hasn't actually finished.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I've started as Shelbourne. I'm a little pissed off with the amount of research thats been put into the Irish league, but as far as gameplay gos I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I started with Liverpool and was given £8m to spend? wtf? Also the club is apparently only worth £63m (the reason for the crap transfer fund?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

I don't like it, Way to buggy. I actually gave up on my game as Kilkenny City due to them. I'll continue it when the Patch comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bit buggy and i have no under 21s with pats got sacked as i ran out players playing a high tempo game they all got injured or were tired.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Aye there is a few bugs alright, the most annoying one being the insane amount of disallowed goals! But Im loving it anyway.

Started as Real Madrid, signed Riquelme and Pirlo. Ruud took a while to start scoring but now he's unstoppable. The best thing about this game is the players really, i mean REALLY respond to the PR so you have to praise them / encourage them alot, but only when they deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

ive no player pictures in mine. went for express installation instead of advanced is this why?

EDIT: Ive loaded Spain, England and USA and Ive picked Fulham. there seems to be player pictures in Spain and USA but not England?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

forbesii wrote: »
    ive no player pictures in mine. went for express installation instead of advanced is this why?

EDIT: Ive loaded Spain, England and USA and Ive picked Fulham. there seems to be player pictures in Spain and USA but not England?

I think it is all to do with license to use them, and they havn't got that for all the leagues. There will be 3rd party ones created for various sites - have a look around in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Archimedes wrote: »
    Aye there is a few bugs alright, the most annoying one being the insane amount of disallowed goals! But Im loving it anyway.

Started as Real Madrid, signed Riquelme and Pirlo. Ruud took a while to start scoring but now he's unstoppable. The best thing about this game is the players really, i mean REALLY respond to the PR so you have to praise them / encourage them alot, but only when they deserve it.
    Yeah there's a ridiculous amount of disallowed goals alright. Very annoying at times but i'm still enjoying it!

Any ideas when a patch might be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

crashed for me last night after beating chelsea and i dont wanna start a new game if its gonna crash again. but i like a few of the feature including squad bonuses, the pre game set up options and telling the board how i think the team will do in the upcoming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I started as Sheffield Wednesday and they want me to get them promoted after the second season. That ain't happening!

I have Roy O'Donovan on loan up front with Francis Jeffers which seems to be a good partnership. I need to find a good defensive midfielder though. Anyone got any tips? I've only got a million to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Started with Man United as usual :p, really enjoying the game but doesn't seem hugely different from last years tbh. Anderson and Tevez are beasts but :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have just installed it and am seriously considering starting an LLM game.

Am I mad ? Is it worth the pain? :)

There's no LSL yet, so ill probably go with a middle-tier English conference side.

Was with United but Tevez fell out with Hargreaves, Giggs and Huntelaar. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

lol thats bad going

I bought Huntelaar too. He's a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,968 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Started a new game with man united monday night there (cause i had cheated in the first game)

Sold Fletcher, Tommy K and O'Shea. Brought in Veloso, Banega, Aaritolo (something like that) and Zarate. Have Jovetic coming in in january, but will have to loan him out to antwerp.

Tevez was banging them in at the start of the season - 9 goals in 5 games, but then got injured for two months. Ronalso is a freaking beast though - is closing in on 20 goals and it isn't even november!! Seems to be getting 1 or 2 (mostly 2) in ever game he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Started as Liverpool as usual.

Sold Alonso to Inter for 15 mil up front, plus 5 mil over 6 months. Bought Van der Vaart - and he has been a legend, has scored 8 goals now from midfield.
    Also bought Micah Richards from Man City, a bit embarrassed to say that he cost me €21mil though :o

Just into November on the game now, and i'm proudly sitting on top of the league (level on points with ManU) - using the good old Rule of One tactics which i have to say are absolutely savage!

Had a lot of disallowed goals on the first night i played the game, but in over 3 hours of play last night, not one goal disallowed. Love the gameplay, plus the new little bits like the budget adjustment - makes it much more realistic.

Looks like a beta version of the patch will be out over the weekend.

Yes I think the disallowed goal bug evens itself out over time. It was crazy the first few hours Ive played but barely a peep since. Really enjoying my Madrid game. Id advice everyone to sign Riquelme if you can - only cost me about 13 million. He is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got it the other day, it had been ages since i owned one...

Started as Cork City, we started brilliantly, but then things went to crap for like 2 months, we were 3rd or 4th & i got fired... Got hired by Kildare County, didn't like it so I started again...

Cork City again, just starting season 2, won the Munster Senior Cup in year 1 (Galway City won the league :confused:we finished 5th - although there was only 3 points between 5th & 3rd) but was hindered by injuries & lack of transfer money... I lucked out when Reading sold Kevin Doyle to Portsmouth for 18mill, got 3.6mill as a sell on fee, so i was able to buy players in the pre-season... So we look good for the next year...

All in all, it's a class game... There's a few minor things (mainly the ton of disallowed goals) that need to be fixed, but that's what patches are for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

dulpit wrote: »
    Got it the other day, it had been ages since i owned one...

Started as Cork City, we started brilliantly, but then things went to crap for like 2 months, we were 3rd or 4th & i got fired... Got hired by Kildare County, didn't like it so I started again...

Cork City again, just starting season 2, won the Munster Senior Cup in year 1 (Galway City won the league :confused:we finished 5th - although there was only 3 points between 5th & 3rd) but was hindered by injuries & lack of transfer money... I lucked out when Reading sold Kevin Doyle to Portsmouth for 18mill, got 3.6mill as a sell on fee, so i was able to buy players in the pre-season... So we look good for the next year...

All in all, it's a class game... There's a few minor things (mainly the ton of disallowed goals) that need to be fixed, but that's what patches are for...

Surely it was Galway UNITED, and not Galway City that won the league yeah?? ;)

• Advertisement

\o/

The Beta patch: http://download.sega.com/u/fm2008_patch/fm2008_801_betapatch.exe

It's save-game compatible apparently.

Anybody tried using the new patch yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I just got the game a couple of days ago,havnt had loads of time to play it though

Started as Sligo Rovers(hometown) and I'm actually doing real well....leading in the Premier Division and was only expectin a fairly low finish in the league!!

I'm still wondering though how to play online games...on the network like??

Tauren wrote: »
    Started a new game with man united monday night there (cause i had cheated in the first game)

Sold Fletcher, Tommy K and O'Shea. Brought in Veloso, Banega, Aaritolo (something like that) and Zarate. Have Jovetic coming in in january, but will have to loan him out to antwerp.

Tevez was banging them in at the start of the season - 9 goals in 5 games, but then got injured for two months. Ronalso is a freaking beast though - is closing in on 20 goals and it isn't even november!! Seems to be getting 1 or 2 (mostly 2) in ever game he plays.

Veloso is great isn't he :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I just started as Real Madrid. Cant get Ruud to score at all though, and seeing he is my fav player, thats a bit of a problem! Hopefully he will start to score for me like he has for you! Raul is doing really well though, he's doing what i expected of Van Nistelrooy, and Van Nistelrooy is what i expected Raul to be like (rubbish!).

The amount of disallowed goals is insane. I usually have 3 per match....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,968 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Smegball wrote: »
    Veloso is great isn't he :D

not really sure yet, he hasn't managed to nail himself down a fist team spot.

My formation and first 11 is this:

...............van der Saar

Neville....Ferdinand...Vidic...Evra
    ................Hargreaves
    ...........Carrick.....Scholes
    Rooney..........................Ronaldo
    ..................Tevez

Hargreaves is given strict defensive instructions, Carrick is halfway between defensive and attackive (so he becomes box to box) and Scholes is given the freedom to bomb forward.

I bought Banega and Veloso, two DMs to play in either the hargreaves or carrick role, but i haven't been able to work out where each one is more suited to. If both play, i play Veloso in the hargreaves role, because he is a better tackler. I reckon he will take that position eventually (if he stays long enough) but because of the role itself, hargreaves is generally fit enough to start every game - so Veloso is generally benched. Very good back up player though, very few teams I would be hesitant of playing him against -seems to be able to hold his own.

I actually had no plans to buy him, but someone else had a bid accepted for him, and i was kinda on the lookout for another player to play in central midfield, so I just matched the bid in a impulse buy kinda way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Am I the only one who likes picking sh!t teams to manage? I find theres no fun in winning with Man United, but getting Scunthorpe up from the Championship, now thats a challenge!
    The disallowed goals thing is a bit bogus too, majorly annoying!

Anybody tried using the new patch yet?
    Ive tried it.

And it's improved the Closing Down issue no end for me.

I've started a new game with Fulham. And my DM (Smertin) is literally mowing the opposition players :)

Halfway through my first season with Man United, impressed with my two signings so far, Zaccardo and Veloso. Rooney was absolutley brilliant for me until he broke his leg! Tevez and Anderson are top class IMO. Highlight of the season so far was demolishing Liverpool 9-1 at Old Trafford. Lowlight was 4-1 defeat to Lazio, to be fair though all my strikers were injured apart from Dang Fanghzuo.

This is my preferred team:
    VDS
    Zaccardo----Ferdy
    Vidic
    Evra
    Hargreaves---Carrick
    --Ronaldo
    Giggs---
    Tevez
    Rooney

However due to injuries here is my team atm!:
    VDS
    Zaccardo
    Brown
    Vidic
    Evra
    Anderson---Veloso----Carrick
    --Ronaldo
    Giggs---
    Saha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

How many disallowed goals is the average? haven't got it yet but that would put me off

Advertisement