Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, the new FM game....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Hugh Mongus

majiktripp wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes picking sh!t teams to manage?

I thought I was the only one! On last year's game I spent 8 years with Swansea - getting to the prem in year 6. In year 8, we were still in the prem and they gave me £5m to spend for the upcoming year. I put in 2 ultimatums for more cash and they told me to clear out my desk...:mad::mad::mad:

Still hurts to this day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nearing the end of my first season as Madrid boss. Barca seem to be pulling away in the league. 7 points ahead of me with 7 games left, and theyve rarely dropped points all season. Got knocked out of the Spanish Cup in the semis by zaragoza but im into the semi final of the Champions League where im playing Arsenal after I knocked out Barca in the quarter finals (2-1 smash and grab at the nou camp followed by a 1-1 at home). Ive signed a lot of youngsters that im hoping to groom for a first team place when some of my regular players start to get on a bit. Transfer wise, Riquelme and Pirlo have been magnificent for me. Also made a cheeky bid for Henrik Larsson in January and he's done well, 7 goals in 13 games (6 of those were in the cup though) but ill be letting him go at the end of the season. Ive got Ronaldo coming in from Milan in the summer on a freebie. He's only 31 so hopefully I can still get something out of him, wont be too bad as backup. I play 3 attacking midfielders behind a striker and the players that fill those positiong usually range between Riquelme, Raul, Robben, Robinho and Higuain. Robinho is just back from a broken leg and Robben has flattererd to deceive all season so depending on funds in the summer, I might sell Robben and launch a raid for a top class attacking midfielder like Cristiano Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. Anderson isnt gettin a game at United at all, I even had him on trial for 4 weeks so i might make a cheeky bid for him!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Haven't got the new game yet, but I see the recommended system requirements include 1GB Ram. Anyone running it on 512Mb, and if so how well does it run?

I'll be picking a lower league club when I start, I usually go for a Spanish or Italian club I've never heard of, but I suppose for a change I could start with my team, Leeds, seeing as they now qualify as a lower league club. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

im playing it on 512mb and it plays fine, not slow at all, only thing tiresome is running anythin else at the same time, or getting back to the desktop!!

im loving the game so far, chelsea and a few months in!! couldnt get any of my main targets in the summer, so settled for riquelme and lahm...!! wanted alves or richards but both clubs were asking 40mil each...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Picked Newcatle. Couple of good early season results and as is usually the way in championship/football manager you start to plummet, unexplained at around game 5. I had a very structured gameplan, playing the ball down the wings to pacey wingers to put in crosses for my target men. To say the team did their own thing is an understatement despite me giving them almost no creative freedom. Its a little frustrating that the players really dont play the way you instruct them to. For instance theres no real difference between a player marked 'hold up ball' and a player who does not hold up the ball. Martins played exactly the same under both conditions. I think they may have tampered with the tactics almost too much since I last played in 03/04.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Won the title with 2 games to go with United, bought Owen for 14m in the January transfer window and he was a revelation, absolutely brilliant.
    Got 41m to spend in summer but really don't know which position to buy for, I have 4 quality strikers ( Rooney,Saha, Tevez, Owen) and a good midfield with Van Der Vaart bought for 18m.
    Might buy a defender but really can't decide which defender to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Smegball wrote: »
    Won the title with 2 games to go with United, bought Owen for 14m in the January transfer window and he was a revelation, absolutely brilliant.
    Got 41m to spend in summer but really don't know which position to buy for, I have 4 quality strikers ( Rooney,Saha, Tevez, Owen) and a good midfield with Van Der Vaart bought for 18m.
    Might buy a defender but really can't decide which defender to get.

get rafinha for RB, you can get him for around 10/11 mil and he puts in consistent 8's and the odd 9 or 10, get rid of saha and get aguero, and for AMC you should definitely take a look at moutinho his mental stats are through the roof

Ended up signing Gonzalo Rodriguez from Villareal, Vidic has been surprisingly dodgy last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I took Ireland to within goal difference of qualifying for the European Championships, and then was doing well in WC Quals until a bug meant I had to start a new game.

Started as Liverpool, sold Sissoko, Crouch and (reluctantly) Alonso, brought in Silva for crazy money. I play an attacking 4-5-1:

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Agger-Arbeloa
    Lucas-Macherano
    Babel----Gerrard---Silva
    Torres

Babel, Gerrard and Silva all with lots of creative freedom and swap positions. Not long into the season though, so the jury is still out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Playing as Aston Villa, I'm currently second in the league and it's Feb 2008. I usually play 5 at the back (sometimes I play 4 and a defensive midfielder who sits in front of them). I've been carving out a lot of 1-0 victories.

Reo Coker and Petrov are always in great form for me.

• Advertisement

Agree a fee for Aguero, offered the contract he wanted and then he outright snubbed me! No room for negotiating or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Reading through the thread, it sounds like they've made the game very easy this year or else it's just a bit unbalanced at the moment? Sounds like people are scoring far too many goals overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,968 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

art wrote: »
    Reading through the thread, it sounds like they've made the game very easy this year or else it's just a bit unbalanced at the moment? Sounds like people are scoring far too many goals overall?

no more so then previous games.

My man united team (which in every FM game dominates) has an average of about 2.3 goals a game, which is probably slightly under what i got in the previous version actually; think i would top out at about 2.7 goals in that.

Tauren wrote: »
    no more so then previous games.

My man united team (which in every FM game dominates) has an average of about 2.3 goals a game, which is probably slightly under what i got in the previous version actually; think i would top out at about 2.7 goals in that.

What all players have you signed Tauren?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I got the game yesterday & ran the patch straight away. Started as my team Leeds Utd. Have to say im well impressed with the new additions, groundsman had my pitch narrow & short for play thru the middle but bad for wingers So i instructed him to lengthen & widen pitch :)
    The confidence section is really detailed especially on your signings & the update on season ticket sales is handy.
    Actuallt got Liverpool as a parent club :D they accepted a loan offer for kewell but he wouldnt move (fat clown as dunphy says :D)
    Only played 1 match won 4-1, liverpool striker got 1 & an ipswich loan striker (ill post team later) got hattrick :eek:
    Also got a 31 yr old brazilian (again will name later) who i was surprised signed for me as he was a definite purchase & his commest read "good midfielder for premiership side" :eek:
    One thing i found frustrating in FM07 was it was so hard to get anyone decent to sign to a lower club.
    Well -12 points, squad bonus is aimed at respectable league position, was too chicked to declare promotion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

I am officially addicted to the game.

I started with Tottenham, and didn't start very well. Got knocked out of the League cup in the 3rd round (by Chelsea). I just got knocked out of the FA Cup in the sixth round (by ?? can't remember). But I am second in the Premiership by trailing 7 points to Man united and am still in the UEFA Cup so not TOO Bad.

I bought, Harry Kewell, Anthony Stokes, Richard Dunne, Guily, Sol Campbell.
    I sold, Chimbonda and Darren Bent. Let Bent go for 16.5 mil.

Here's a question. Does it take a long time, not VERY long but does it take a while to load most of the time for you(s)?

Smegball wrote: »
    What all players have you signed Tauren?
    In my first season, my transfer dealins were the following,

OUT

Fletcher,
    O'Shea
    Tommy K

IN

Veloso,
    Zarate,
    Ever Banega (sp)
    And a few young player put into the U18s.

In my second season, I sold Saha for 20million (DEAL!!) and brought in David Silva from Valencia for 33million.

General first team is:
    .....................Foster
    Neville...Ferdinand...Vidic..Evra
    ....................Hargreaves
    ............Veloso......Anderson
    Ronaldo..........................Silva
    .................Rooney

Bench: Tevez, Scholes, Nani, Pique, Brown.

Also, Fabio (brazilian left back that signs in the summer) has played a few games and has done ok, Evans looks decent and Gibson looks like he could be a very good squad player for me.

@Pala! The game seems really quick to load for me, quicker then the last version, if not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It seems pretty similar to the last game, but there does seem to be an awful lot of disalllowed goals, I would say nearly every second game I score from a corner only to see it disallowed for a foul.

Is there any way to solve the problem of players disliking certain teammates? It just doesn't look good for team morale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Well, I have now assembled my first great team, and Im only half way through my second season. Im Real Madrid, and my starting 11 is as follows:

............................Casillas............................
    Miguel Torres....Sergio Ramos.....Pepe.....Marcelo
    ...................Pirlo.............Iniesta...................
    Higuain................Riquelme...................Robinho
    ............................Rául.................................

I honestly thought Raul would be past it now but he's on fire this season.

My bench is usually: K. Schmeichel, Heinze, Drenthe, Veloso, Gago, Robben, Vela

Van Nistelrooy seems to have lost it completely, and Cannavaro cant hack it anymore. But I have an abundance of young talent coming through such as Alex, Henri Saivet, Alberto Bueno, Lulinha, Roberto, Toni Kroos and quite a few more wonderkids scattered about the reserves and even on loan throughout Europe. I have 17 million to spend in January, dont really need any more players, and even if this is Raul's last season at the top, I have Carlos Vela ready to step in and then of course I have the new batch of youngsters coming through after him. Might invest in a couple more young defenders though. Of course I have been threatening to save up for Cesc but Veloso seems to be doing excellent when called upon. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

PS: I cant advertise how great it is to pick up a few veteran strikers on the cheap. I got in Larsson the last season for 6 months in January, got 11 goals for me. Just got Ronaldo from Milan during the summer (only 31 mind you) and he's doing well when I need him to come in, always seems to get a goal.

Of course I have spent hours perfecting this particular formation and tactics which, if you ask nicely, I might just upload for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

decided i'd join in on this... so... i started as liverpool. can't really play as anyone else :) sold crouch for 20 mil to chelsea, i asked for 35. from that i signed riquelme for 15 mil and then adjusted the budget and signed barzagli for 15 mil also. got off to a crap start altogether, lost all my preseason games and my 1st 3 league games, but did manage to qualify for the CL.

started with a 4-1-4-1 formation then switched to 4-2-3-1. working out so far.

now i'm halfway through the season; played 19 w14 d2 l3, f37 a15. i won my group in CL undefeated and have drawn valencia in the 1st round.

riquelme is absolutely savage, gerrard keeps getting inured and voronin is better than kuyt.

bringing in 3 players in the jan transfer window: aaritalo, lulinho, sakho, all with the future in mind.

sissoko out in jan to either inter, valencia or seville for 10.5 mil.

will give a report on when i have finished the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thought i'd get in on the act...

Started with cork city, got fired half way through season, re-started with cork, got fired in 2nd season, so decided to play properly, so started with Everton...

It's odd with everton, their expectations seem to be very low (which helps me) they only want a top half finish... We got through to the group stages on UEFA cup, but went out, drew with bayern munich (or someone) in our last game, had a goal disallowed near the end of game that would have sent us through. In the league cup, sent out the reserves, we were hammered 3-1 by southampton (woops, the board wanted me to get to quarter finals) and we were also knocked out of FA cup, against west ham i think, in 4th round, final score was 4-2 but their 4th goal came when Howard was up trying to score from a corner..

Currently we're 5th (or 6th) there's like 3 teams around the 4th place at the moment... The board are delighted, as are the fans. Only bought 1 player, Kevin Doyle, he's turned out class, didn't score for his first few games, but he's now our top scorer with Johnson. I was gonna sign some brazilian young fella whose name escapes me, he costs like 60K or something, apparently he'll be the next ronaldhino, but he didn't get a work permit, so i'll try again in june...

Love this game, get sucked into playing it for hours, which is bad when you have college work to do... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im getting into it now. I edited the game and put 20 eircom league teams + crumlin united and st james gate into blue square south. its great! managing crumlin. completely amateur team, no wages. surprisingly easy to sign players for no wages. Ive started well, beating james gate and drawing with ucd and bohs.

Tauren wrote: »
    In my first season, my transfer dealins were the following,

OUT

Fletcher,
    O'Shea
    Tommy K

IN

Veloso,
    Zarate,
    Ever Banega (sp)
    And a few young player put into the U18s.

In my second season, I sold Saha for 20million (DEAL!!) and brought in David Silva from Valencia for 33million.

General first team is:
    .....................Foster
    Neville...Ferdinand...Vidic..Evra
    ....................Hargreaves
    ............Veloso......Anderson
    Ronaldo..........................Silva
    .................Rooney

Bench: Tevez, Scholes, Nani, Pique, Brown.

Also, Fabio (brazilian left back that signs in the summer) has played a few games and has done ok, Evans looks decent and Gibson looks like he could be a very good squad player for me.

@Pala! The game seems really quick to load for me, quicker then the last version, if not by much.

Well, after winning everything with United in 2 seasons, and not seeing where i could sign new players for, was offered the Barcelona job and took it. Most of their squad remains in tact, made a few signings for them so far - mascherano, van Persie, Saviet, Martinez, Sunny, Caez, Garay and Fabio - most of them don't start as first choice.

First choice line up is

......................Valdes

Zambrotta...Puyol...Milito...Abidal
    ....................Mascherano
    ................Xavi.........Iniesta
    Messi...............................Ronaldinho
    .......................Henry.

So, as you can see only Mascherano is a new addition to the starting line-up. Rotate the players quite a lot though, and already have suffered from injuries. van Persie is out for a few months, Iniesta and Deco keep injury themselves in training, Abidal missed the first 2 months of the season too. All my players are getting decent run outs.

Started the season a bit jittery, scraping wins by the odd goal, but form really kicked up a notch in late September, with back to back 6-1 away wins at Osasuna in La Liga and Rangers in the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

majiktripp wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes picking sh!t teams to manage? I find theres no fun in winning with Man United, but getting Scunthorpe up from the Championship, now thats a challenge!
    The disallowed goals thing is a bit bogus too, majorly annoying!

i decided last year to start with a **** team, it tkaes ages to get up the leagues tho and i dont have much time in a week to play it,

got a league 2 side to the championship in about 3 or 4 seasons, that was after two years of getting clubs releagated out of league 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RDConfoosed

playing in Eircom league - poorly researched and whoever is the researcher - well more effort needed. again the financial modelling is not up to scratch - no matter how well ur team does - the potential is never realised and the club rep doesnt improve. enjoying the game but EL could be better set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

playing in Eircom league - poorly researched and whoever is the researcher - well more effort needed. again the financial modelling is not up to scratch - no matter how well ur team does - the potential is never realised and the club rep doesnt improve. enjoying the game but EL could be better set-up

I agree with that, some of the teams feature old players and stuff... One of the lads' brothers used to play for Cobh ramblers, but he finished with them like 2 years ago, but he's still on the team... Which is odd...

I've been told that the cork city team is slightly wrong too (i don't know myself, don't know enough about the eircom league)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just resigned as Ireland manager. Got us to Euro 2008 and beat the Czechs 3-1 in Prague along the way (you listening Stan? :D) then got in a group with France and Portugal so unsurprisingly didn't make it through to the next round.

I then got Ireland to the play-offs of the 2010 WC against Switzerland but after a 2-2 draw away they came to Dublin and won 4-3. :( Frei is absolutely lightning fast in the game. Dunne was run ragged.

From my experience Doyle is brilliant and Andy Reid is quality too. Stephen Hunt does the biz on the left as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not just the new one, I think I noticed it before. I have one game I mess with the odd time with a cheat database where Cardiff have all td's good players (and John O'Shea). In this and my real game I noticed Liverrpol going well, then dropping off a bit around the 10-15 game mark. When I look at their matches and lok at the tactics for same, they seem to be doing odd things. They drop Carragher completely , Sometimes in favour of Hyypia, other times to play Mertesacker (who they signe) and Hyypia/Agger. Even though Carra is their highest rated defender.

They leave Babel/Kewell/Masch/Alonso on the bench and play a midfield of Voronin - Sissoko - Gerrard - Pennant.

As well as that, I asked my assistant at Cardiff to pick my team, which he does, obviously with all the Utd players I've stolen:). Then to test I go on holiday and look at the team he picks. He dtops players lik eVidic and Ronaldo to play some crap he pulled from the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

FM doesn't seem to rate Carragher all that well as a CB. I've seen 'Pool play him mostly as a RB in my game.

Does Finnan play ahead of him in yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SofaKing wrote: »
    FM doesn't seem to rate Carragher all that well as a CB. I've seen 'Pool play him mostly as a RB in my game.

Does Finnan play ahead of him in yours?

Actually, come to think of it, yeah , he plays at rb a lot.Finnan gets dropped but still rack sup a fair few apps each season through rotation.

Advertisement