Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with my internet connection/pc???

Options
  • 21-10-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I have Bt 3 meg broadband and it used to run really fast internet but now its not. when im on youtube and looking at a video it takes ages to load, i have to pause and wait about 5 minutes to load a 2 minute video. surfing the internet itself is fast enough. I rang BT and they did a check and said that my connection is running perfectly when connecting to the bt server or something and suggested its a problem with my pc itself. what do u think could be wrong?? viruses? settings messed up?

i've ran loads of scans and stuff but found nothing which stopped the problem. i use kaspersky internet security, spyware blaster, spybot and used to use norton but its absolute pants.

any help would be absolutely amazing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There has been some discussion on boards that suggests BT throttle access to Youtube. Why they would, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 qwertykeyboards

well its not just youtube its all video websites. its the speed in general when downloading. can viruses affect other parts of a pc or just the harddrive? would a new harddrive rectify the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Try hijackthis. If this shows nothing then it probably not your system at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you download a file from a good sever, lets say something from micorosft... what kind of speeds are you getting?
    What do you get on http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php?

While i have not used kasperky internet security... i do know that every single other internet security suite makes things much slower on the net. Try turning it off for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055160784&page=2

There have been bandwidth issues between youtube and BT recently and a suggestion that the cause was an overloaded Cogent route(r) in LINX. BT got some transit to youtube via Level3 and that seemed to clear up the issue last week. Are they back on Cogent again?

• Advertisement

I ran that speed test and earlier on in the day it was 2.37 mb/s and a minute ago was 1.09 presumably because of the late time traffic. still not great but video viewing still really slow regardless. not just youtube, megavideo was slow earlier too and stage 6 divx also.

I ran hijackthis and got results back which mean absolutely nothing to me. Could somebody decipher them for me please? here they are:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 19:23:21, on 22/10/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\avp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\avp.exe
    C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod Access for Windows\iPAHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX16.281\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Photo AIO Printer 922] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ppmate] C:\Program Files\PPMate\PPMate\ppmate.exe -autoplay
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\avp.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk.disabled
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: BlueSoleil.lnk.disabled
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Anti-Banner - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\ie_banner_deny.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\SCIEPlgn.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL,C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1.0\adialhk.dll C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: klogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\klogon.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Ares Chatroom server (AresChatServer) - Ares Development Group - C:\Program Files\Ares\chatServer.exe
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 (AVP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\avp.exe" -r (file missing)
    O23 - Service: BlueSoleil Hid Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
    O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe
    O23 - Service: iPAHelper.exe - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iPod Access for Windows\iPAHelper.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PifEng.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe (file missing)

Thanks!

didnt realise just how long all that is when i pasted it. i'd be surprised but very grateful if someone actually looked through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

just ran your log through the analyzer on this site,

http://www.hijackthis.de/en#anl

and it appears to be clean.

mickzer.

analyzer huh? Never knew about that. I just looked over the whole log... decided it was clean and then saw your post :D

Did you try what i suggested with the kaspersky? Out of curiousity more so, it might not cause it but i do know Mcaffee and Norton internet security suites can cause serious internet slowdowns. I also tried out Ghostsurf for a few days once, it killed my internet down below dial up speeds!

thanks for looking through it! in a way i wish you's had have found something because now i just dont know whats wrong!

I've tried running it with no internet security at all, no firewalls or anything and still the same rubbish. I'm starting to think its bt acting up, especially after reading that post about it throttling youtube and so on.

its very frustrating!

so would you agree that theres no virus causing this and that its something wrong with esat bt yeah?

thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

You know... it may not be this at all but i once had a customer with a dlink router we had just put in to replace a dead one. Anyway they had problems streaming video, especially from RTE. We put in a zyxel instead and it was fine. Never had this problem with that router before and it was only some streaming sites. Very very odd.
    However if this is just something that has started to happen then it would not be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I'm starting to think its bt acting up, especially after reading that post about it throttling youtube and so on.

Did you actually read the thread? Someone questioned if it could be throttling but it turned out to be a bandwidth problem with BT's peer in LINX which BT fixed last week by getting transit from another peer.

I see you've posted on the other thread to ask BT users how it is now - good idea.

Advertisement