Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Town Center filthy

Options
  • 21-10-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

I don't frequent the town center that much but had to pop down today for a few bits an pieces today(sun). I couldn't believe the filth and rubbish on West Street and the surrounding streets. All the rubbish bins overflowing and the remnants of takeaways all over the place. All the clubs and fast food places should be made do a cleanup over the weekend. Looks like all that money poured into West Street has been to no avail and has flowed straight into the Boyne.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the donnell

Have to agree with you on the state of West Street yesterday. I was down there myself and could not believe the rubbish all over both sides of the street, which has recently been repaved at a great cost. During last week I RAN down Meat Market Lane with my sleeve over my nose because of the stench. People just accept everything (Oh what can you do). So annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ruthie82

Totally agree with you, however I have heard that Drogheda borough council decided to cancel the usual cleaners over the weekend as they have suppossedly gone over budget and have to cut back on spending!!! (dont know if this is true or just rumours)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Could be the case and very apparent if it was. And no guesses for the reason for them going over budget! So I suppose we'll see this till the new year so. Hopefully there's no visits from Lonely Planet, Rough Guides etc. in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Yep, the overtime for the street cleaners was withdrawn, this includes the cleaning machine that comes out at 7am. So by the time the regular shift started at 8am cars were blocking the edge of the pavements. It is all to do with an overspend in two departments, Environmental - caused by the hire of two helicopters during a recent oil-like spill in the Boyne and also ( Town Clerks Office) due to a promotion budget for the traders on West Street for a festival next month. The county manager was none too pleased because this was all agreed when he was away. So he pulled the plug on all over time untill Christmas. Big slulk was had. However the outcry has brought about a reverse of this decision. I'm informed the cleaners will be back as normal next weekend. Oh the games they play. Expect more cutbacks, money is dead tight in the council. They haven't got the cash for O' Reillys car park either last time I checked, last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Ah Drogheda is a dirty looking town anyway. When are the roadworks on the main street gonna be finished??? The whole town badly needs a makeover, with or without the rubbish.

• Advertisement

Well explained bottomdog! Figured it was down to money as most things are. I'm sure the whole West St. fiasco has gone way over budget too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

If you guys would listen to Seamus Farrelly in the morning you'd know all this.

Unless you know something I don't, West Street is not over-budget

Given the ugly cheap looking state of it I was hoping it might come in under budget.

--Oh to answer when will it be finished? It's nearly there, the trees and added street furniture arrive next month. And you're all invited to the Council's big party to celebrate the ugliest pedestrianisation in the world. Honestly if there was a competition for such a title Drogheda's West Street would have to at least win a medal for Bleakness' if not the competition outright.

bottomdog wrote: »
    Unless you know something I don't West Street is not over-budget but given the serious underground services problems, it may be. I asked about and nobody has heard of an over budget here. Given the ugly cheap looking state of it I was hoping it might come in under budget.

Nah that was purely a guess by me. The fact that its taken so long to complete but then I'd assume there's a clause in the contract regarding penalties for late completion if that is the case? Can't find any information regarding the proposed completion date anywhere.

There is such a clause, the completion dates on the contracts relate to different sections of the street and progress, I gather the completion date was Nov 2007, so despite the delay it is on time. Also due to underground problems there may have been extenstions granted. In fairness to the Town Clerk Des Foley, he could have sat on his butt and did nothing. The man is trying his best and a lot has happened under his 'term' of office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭gipi

On time or not, under budget or not, it's got to be the ugliest make-over since they accidentally showed an episode of "extreme makeover" in reverse....:)

The planners (whoever they were - not having a go at the council here) have, in my opinion, destroyed the centre of what was a lovely main street of an old town. We could have done without all that square grey paving and furniture - it looks so out of place with the old buildings (those that are left that is).

Must fully agree, what we were promised in the artists impressions does not resemble what we eventually got. It's a basic Ped Zone for an Industrial Campus not in keeping with medival streetscape of the old town. Speaking of Old Towns compare our Ped Zone to Old Town Riga for example. Ours is bleak, grey, steet gurders jutting up, and specked with man hole covers to add to the ugliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

It's a real pity they didn't fully pedestrianise it, it is slightly more pleasant to walk down all the same (especially for people with wheelchairs/buggies/prams).

Does anyone know what the story is with the thick, ugly black wires which are still going across the street - are these going to be removed? They really are an eyesore. What about the old street lights - i presume these are being removed also?

I hope they are installing CCTV or recruiting extra gardai for Sat nights along with the nice trees - can't see them lasting too long :(

(Apologies only started to listen to LMFM v. recently & couldn't find any of the artists impressions of the finished thing on the web)

Kaylee wrote: »
    It's a real pity they didn't fully pedestrianise it, it is slightly more pleasant to walk down all the same (especially for people with wheelchairs/buggies/prams).

Does anyone know what the story is with the thick, ugly black wires which are still going across the street - are these going to be removed? They really are an eyesore. What about the old street lights - i presume these are being removed also?

I hope they are installing CCTV or recruiting extra gardai for Sat nights along with the nice trees - can't see them lasting too long :(

(Apologies only started to listen to LMFM v. recently & couldn't find any of the artists impressions of the finished thing on the web)

Yes, good point, full pedestrianisation is much better, the coffee and the relaxed newspaper experience is kinda lost when he fumes of passing cars blurt into you face,

The thick black electricty cables are tempory and will be replaced when the new lighting is complete

The old lighting will be removed.

CCTV is on the long finger.

No extra Gardai to be provided.

The artist impressions were in the Drogheda leader and I think the Independent as well. You need back issues.

There is one small positive. The essental services undergroun won't have to be done when the next generation replace the stony grey slabs.

http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Well I guess the people have spoken. Loads of complaints about the rubbish at the weekend and nice articles in the Drogheda Indo and Leader. Service as normal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

bottomdog...you are well informed :)
    Getting back to the rubbish issue. I was away recently in another part of the country on a short break. Lovely relaxing trip in a nice ,clean scenic spot and was on a bit of a high after the trip . But boy was i brought back down to earth quickly on arrival back home. It's not only Drogheda but the surrounding towns are filthy too. Peoples attitudes need to change big time and/or more litter wardens are needed.

Advertisement