Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures - attached or in-text? Preferences?

• 21-10-2007 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

I just saw that attached pictures are only listed as text and have to be clicked on to see what exactly they show. If there are pictures included in the text everyone would be able to see what they are about and can then click on them to get the larger version of it. What would be preferable?

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'll also make a poll regarding this.

As an example for attached versus in-text pics see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169148

Best,

Preusse

Preferred viewing of images in Militaria forum 6 votes

In-text pictures
    0% 0 votes
    Attachments
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi Preusse,

Personally I use the image hoster 'imagevenue', you can upload pretty big pic files to it, 1, 2, 10 etc and its'll give you a url link that you can then copy and post here, so you see a little thumbnail of the pic, but once you click on it, it brings it up good and big.

Edit:, an example
    th_85973_100_7527_122_660lo.JPG
    th_85977_100_7528_122_1137lo.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Preusse,

Personally I use the image hoster 'imagevenue', you can upload pretty big pic files to it, 1, 2, 10 etc and its'll give you a url link that you can then copy and post here, so you see a little thumbnail of the pic, but once you click on it, it brings it up good and big.

Nice one CroppyBoy!

I am using "photobucket" and it can transfer any image file into jpeg and has the html and IMG codes attached to it. However, as you can see from the helmet thread it does not transform into thumbnails, which is a pity. If I have time I might change my images over to "imagevenue", the only problem is that the majority of all my images is on "photobucket" and I don't have the time to transfer. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Preusse, I dont know if you can 'store' files on imagevenue like you can on Photobucket. I think imagevenue is a one off host, if you have a pic on your computer, throw it onto imagevenue and then you'll get a link for it to post here, or on other forums.

Preusse, I dont know if you can 'store' files on imagevenue like you can on Photobucket. I think imagevenue is a one off host, if you have a pic on your computer, throw it onto imagevenue and then you'll get a link for it to post here, or on other forums.

Hi CB1798,

I see, so a mixture of both may be all right. I like using photobucket because of the possibility to store a large amount of images in folders and sub-folders. But there are so many host-servers out there that can be used. I was just wondering what would be better for the user, to see the picture in the thread or to click on the attachment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

http://www.imageshack.us/ is another favourite for this sort of thing, allowing you to upload your pictures and providing a bunch of linking options, including 'forum code' and thumbnails with size/resolution data.

I voted for in-text images, but the many people in non-broadbandland must be borne in mind too.
    I'd suggest that small filesize images (100-150KB or less) would be fine in-text, particularly in threads with many pictures, but anything much bigger might be best with a thumbnail.

PS- well done to Preusse for getting the forum approved!

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    http://www.imageshack.us/ is another favourite for this sort of thing, allowing you to upload your pictures and providing a bunch of linking options, including 'forum code' and thumbnails with size/resolution data.

I voted for in-text images, but the many people in non-broadbandland must be borne in mind too.
    I'd suggest that small filesize images (100-150KB or less) would be fine in-text, particularly in threads with many pictures, but anything much bigger might be best with a thumbnail.

PS- well done to Preusse for getting the forum approved!

Hi Rovi,

thanks, yes I forgot imageshack. They do thumbnails as well? Sounds like the perfect option. As you said, it may be particularly bad with pics in text which are too large for non-broadband users. I will leave the ones that are in the helmet thread as they are but transfer the next batch over to imageshack or try to reduce it to thumbnail size.

Advertisement