Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys Router Problem

Options
  • 21-10-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Up until about 3 weeks ago I was using WEP protection with my Linksys router. Then I read here that WEP is useless so I switched to WPA.

Problem now is that my computer keep disconnecting from the Router after about 6 hours and I must restart my computer to reconnect. Any idea what is going wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Up until about 3 weeks ago I was using WEP protection with my Linksys router. Then I read here that WEP is useless so I switched to WPA.

Problem now is that my computer keep disconnecting from the Router after about 6 hours and I must restart my computer to reconnect. Any idea what is going wrong ?

You firewall may be blocking "svhost.exe" that would stop your computer from renewing its ip address and be unable to connect to the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

disable network connection then re-enable will reconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Watty, it doesn't.

When is disconnects after 6 hours no matter what I do it just won't reconnect. Have to restart the computer to reconnect.

Should I go with a static IP for my laptop ?

I find it odd that this doesn't happen when I use WEP protection instead of WPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What model is the router?

Don't know if this occurs with routers but could it be interference from another wireless router nearby?

I'm thinking, maybe a neighbour uses WPA encryption on the same channel. I don't honestly know if the interference would not occur if you were using two different types of encryption.

Try changing the channel anyway if another router is in the area.

Odd you say that.

When I disconnect from my Linksys router and ask my laptop to search for wireless networks it throw up two.

My own router and another one call Marvell. However, when I connect to my network and refresh the network list, it doesn't appear at all.

• Advertisement

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Odd you say that.

When I disconnect from my Linksys router and ask my laptop to search for wireless networks it throw up two.

My own router and another one call Marvell. However, when I connect to my network and refresh the network list, it doesn't appear at all.

Does the Marvell one have a lock on it (ie encrypted network)?

brim4brim wrote: »
    Does the Marvell one have a lock on it (ie encrypted network)?

It says it doesn't. I've tried to connect to it just to see what it is but I just can't connect. Times out after a while.

The router is a WRT54GC by the way.

Actually have you looked for drivers for your wireless card? There may be a new version out.

I had a problem a couple of years ago with my laptop in Linux with official Intel drivers where it used to cut out all wireless access until reboot after half an hour. In the end I got new drivers from Intel's website and compilers etc... although it took a couple of reboots and got the new drivers installed.

It may be your wireless card and maybe the driver has a known issue with WPA encryption or something odd like that.

Advertisement