Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI input problem - laptop not always recognised

• 21-10-2007 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

I own a samsung le32r84 which has 3 hdmi inputs.

I have a PS3 hooked up to one of those inputs, and I have my laptop hooked into another one using a dvi to hdmi lead. The PS3 is always recognised, I could swith sources between sky(sd) the laptop and the ps3, and the ps3 will always come straigth up when I switch back to it.

However, the same cannot be said for the laptop. If both the laptop and ps3 are turned on, and I switch away from the laptop, when I return to the laptop source it will always say 'no signal' or 'mode not recognised'. This means that I have to get on me hunkers and lift up the laptop lid and close it again after about a min. This usually brings it back onto the screen.

Further, even when the ps3 is turned off, when I first turn on the laptop I get the same problem and have to get on the aul hunkers again (although if the ps3 is turned off, I could switch between sky and the laptop and the laptop will alwys come straight back).

Can anyone tell me whats going wrong? Would the fact that the native resolution of the laptop screen is 1900x1200, whilst the tv is a 720p set (although I thought xp is setup to manually switch resolutions when it is plugged into an external screen, and seems to do this most of the time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Best thing to do would be to change the resolution on your laptop to that of your tv. Has to be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Thats the thing, xp seems to that automatically. I never have to manually change the resolution, and if I go into the screens settings in xp when the laptop is connected to the tv, it tells me that it is outputting at 1366x768 (the tvs native resolution)

Its like when I switch sources, the laptop stops outputting a picture signal which is fair enough, but when I switch back to it, I can't 'wake it up' and get it to output again without lifting up the laptop lid. This is definitley the case when the ps3 is also turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Purely a guess here. Is it possible that when you switch source the laptop is no longer seeing the new display and switches back to the internal screen and as it's closed the laptop goes to sleep ?

It depends on how the TV manages the HDMI sockets switching I think. If it's simply disconnecting the source from a given socket rather than letting the source see a dud display then the results you are seeing seem likely. For the PS3 it has no internal display and once told to output through HDMI that's just what it does.

That's my guess anyway.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have much the same issue with my HTPC and a panasonic TV , If The TV is not on the correct HDMI channel when I turn on the HTPC I get no picture , it must be on the correct HDMI to get a boot screen ( its booting anyway but I see nothing if the correct channel is not chosen) ,

The good news for me , is that my new Onkyo , with HDMI switching , has for some reason fixed the issue , undoubtedly something to do with the amps electronics , but I havnt found out what yet. Once I do I'll let you know.

Advertisement