Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graphics card for HP dc5000?

Options
  • 21-10-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a HP dc5000 low profile pc which has 3 PCI slots. These are low profile and shorter than the normal size too (if that is the normal low profile?).
    I am wondering what kind of graphics card would do for my PC?
    It has an onboard graphics card (64MB), but I want something a bit beefier and need DVI as well. I was thinking maybe 256MB RAM?

The PC has a 2.8Ghz pentium 4 and 1 gig of RAM at the mo'.

I found this on DABS.ie, but have no idea if it would fit or not:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4BGW&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1

Also, what is the difference in PCI, AGP, PCI-express, etc? I think my PC can take one AGP card in one of the PCI slots, whatever all that means (although I am not certain about this).

I won't be using the PC for gaming or anything just watching movies, Internet, andother basic programmes; maybe burning or ripping some DVDs, whichmight use more resources, but tht's it.

Help!!

Tom...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

An AGP slot is physically different then a PCI slot. I don't think that machine has an AGP slot which means you are limited to PCI. Furthermore, PCI is a vastly outdated standard for graphics card, so you will pay over the odds for very poor performance. The best PCI card available would be extremely poor in terms of gaming, if you ever decide to try it, but it would give you dvi and would be far better then your current Intel Extreme. What's wrong with the Intel extreme though in relation to your uses? Image quality would be better with a better card but ripping and encoding is all CPU intensive...so don't upgrade unnecessarily. More RAM might be a better option in your case.

This is the best you will get really for PCI. Very expensive in relation to its performance but thats PCI for you. You can get low profile pci cards like Fx5200 that will be cheaper, the above is just an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Ouch Havok, €102, now that's a lot for what I need it for. Basically, all I want it to do is give me a DVI out so I can connect it to my 32" LCD TV with good quality, and to have enough RAM on it so it won't freeze or crash on me.
    Maybe I don't need 256Meg at all, if what you are saying about ripping and encoding is true.

Advertisement