Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 Reliabilty

• 21-10-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I am seriously thinking about getting a 360 soon but I am put off by the amount of things Ive heard going wrong with them such as three rings, overheating and scratching discs.

Technical Problems

Have any of these problems been fixed or what the chances of this hapenning with newer consoles. Is there any particular batch to look out for etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You only ever hear about the problems, I've never seen a thread here about someone praising the reliability of their xbox.

Mine is from launch and was second-hand. Still going strong.
    Ignore the nay-sayers and go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Yes buit from reading that piece in the link I provided its not just a few that are talking about problems. Its a hell of a lot.
    They also revealed that representatives of the three largest Xbox 360 resellers in the world, (EB Games, Gamestop and Best Buy) told c't that the failure rate of the Xbox 360 is between 30 and 33%, and that the largest repair shop in Britain, Micromart, stopped repairing Xbox 360's because they were unable to fully repair the defective systems.

30-33% seems quite alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

You might as well go for it becuase if it does break it will be under warranty so you can send it off and get it fixed if it does.
    I have had four different consoles and they all broke on me and now I have given up on them but then again other people have had no problems at all.
    So its totally upto yourself and the 360 is a great machine when its working :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I seriously doubt it's in the region of 30%.
    Hell, Microsoft would have probably shut down the xbox division if it was that high. Class action lawsuits by consumers have been launched against other companies for less.

I don't have other statistics though.

I do know a new version is being released shortly and the regulars will be along shortly with info on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Slunk wrote: »
    Yes buit from reading that piece in the link I provided its not just a few that are talking about problems. Its a hell of a lot.

30-33% seems quite alot.

Okay 30-33% is a lot. But Microsoft have extended their gurantee on their consoles, so if you get the ring of death then you can get it exchanged. I heard of a few things happening them, but I still think that they're a great console. I have not heard any problems with the elite at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

For what period of time will they exchange it before you have to send it off for repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanish Guitar

The machines with the Falcon motherboard are already out there in Elites and newer Premiums. The three rings of death in 360s is allegedly caused by overheating and the eventual buckling of the motherboard itself.

The newer machine has a smaller 65nm CPU and a new heatsink. http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-71849.aspx

They seem to be be a bit more stable due to the fact that they produce less heat but they're not perfect either.
    http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-71365.aspx

Both myself and my brother have had a 360 breakdown and repaired. There is definitely a chance that it will happen no matter which 360 model you go for.

The 360 is a great games console though and if you can live with the fact that you might have to put up without it for about 10 days at some stage then I'd definitely consider one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Any word on a 65nm GPU coming? Also are the Falcon Motherboards more reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Biro wrote: »
    Any word on a 65nm GPU coming? Also are the Falcon Motherboards more reliable?

Biro Next August is the latest rumour.

Slunk, Make sure you buy a Premium with a HDMI port, as your almost guarenteed that they had the additional cooling on the GPU (that is what causes the 3ROD). Its easy for the shop assistant to check as it has HDMI on the back of the packaging. Xtravison have them in stock in some stores, not sure about smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ixm1980

Has anybody had any problems with their Elites or with the Premium model with the HDMI connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Nope, no issues here, although I would have thought that an "upgrade" to the Elite might have resolved that awful whirring fan noise, pretty cool sound effects for a helicopter game, but not very welcome when you're sitting back appreciating a 30-yard Rooney piledriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 acorkonian

have had a 360 for nearly 2 years and have not had any major problems with it so far..except unplayable disc which is easy to fix..dont listen to the negativety..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

ixm1980 wrote: »
    Has anybody had any problems with their Elites or with the Premium model with the HDMI connection?

My launch day Elite (lot number 0727) was replaced with a new console (lot number 0737) after the DVD Drive failed.
    I was told however that the failure rates on Elites are lower than average.

I'm (fairly) sure the replacement unit is a Falcon motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

xanthor wrote: »
    My launch day Elite was replaced with a new console after the DVD Drive failed.
    I was told however that the failure rates on Elites are lower than average.

What are they? Around 25% then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Nope, no issues here, although I would have thought that an "upgrade" to the Elite might have resolved that awful whirring fan noise, .

Not necessarily it seems. My first Elite sounded like it was about to take off.

besty wrote: »
    What are they? Around 25% then?

I asked the member of staff for exact figures but it seems his job is just to sell them, not supply up to the minute figures on failure rates.

Advertisement