Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who to contact after a crash (their fault)

Options
  • 21-10-2007 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi I was in a crash over the weekend (rear-ended while stopped by a 30Ton tractor) , no injuries, but the car will probably be scrapped.
    • My question is who should I contact now:
    • My insurance company or his?
    • My solicitor? (clear cut case, other driver admitted resp)
    • Tax office? (can I get a refund on the 1/2 year road tax left)
    • Should I be in contact with the owner of the machine (who isn't the driver)?
    • Anyone else?

And is there any advice people might have to ensure I'm not out of pocket, (and I'm not talking about saying my new 42" widescreen was in the boot at the time or buying a neck brace :) )

Edit: In case you're wondering, the garda were called at the time, details exchanged etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

contact your own company first thing tomorrow. even if the claim is off the other person, its better to inform your own company just in case.

Was there anyone else there when the other person admitted liability, did he admit it with the garda there. Its funny how often people can change there story.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Contact your insurance company, and theirs. Give both as much details as possible. Email them any pictures you took at the time (if any).

No need for a solicitor, unless the insurance company mess you around. If you intend making a personal injury claim, and think the insurance company aren't playing ball, you can go to one. This does draw things out by 6-9 months. It's nice to see someone not jumping on the claim-culture for a change.

The insurance company will refund any tax you have left.

The driver should have told his transport/fleet manager, but it would be worth following it up in the morning. If it's a major company then they may settle privately with you to avoid a claim on their history.

I assume the guards have already been informed of the accident, and if this is the case then you're sorted. The other insurance company should be able to get you car hire in the morning if you require it. Keep any receipts for taxi's and the likes. If you need time off work, have some recent payslips ready when they ask for any backup of loss of earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Your Insurance company, if guards weren't informed do that as well, then wait for the insurance to send you the forms and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I am told, by somebody who did it last year, and contrary to what has been posted here many times, if you bring your tax disc into your tax office they will refund you the balance.

About half way down this page:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_tax_rates

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<off topic>I don't recall anyone suggesting that you couldn't get a refund in tax if the car is written off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Ok, update on what's happened so for those of you who have come across this thread looking for answers

Contacted my insurance company, I have two options (3 if you count doing a deal without the insurance companies involved)
    1) 1st party claim on comprehensive, car to be brought to an authorised evaluator (of hibernians). I would lose my NCB for a while and have to pay the excess until Hib claim it back off FBD
    2) 3rd party claim off his insurance, don't know how long that will take.

I'm expecting 6800 or so on the car (I checked what the list price was on revenue.ie VRT calculator and added the VRT) but will probably have to subtract the scrapage value, engine etc still fine

Question
    Should I get an independent evaluation of the damage?

Advertisement