Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube icon

Options
  • 21-10-2007 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Why have we no youtube icon when making a post?
    Many posters link to youtube,especially in music forums to show some song or composition.

I've seen some posters made a youtube display box appear but I don't know how to do this

Anyone know?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Put the bit after the v= between youtube tags. e.g.
    [noparse][/noparse]

becomes

This would be quiet handy and is already over on boards.tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

many thanks sir

I still think there should be an icon.
    Maybe that's something that can be looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Also:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?do=bbcode

I'm too lazy use the vb code list to post it but you get the general idea :)

I think you're overestimating the technical ability of a lot of boards users tallus.

Most posters won't know or want to learn how to use code. We don't all work in IT.

Edit: Cool, I never knew how to use that spoiler function. Very handy for the movie forum

Seriously, I think admin should be making it easier for users. If I'm here for close to 3 years and only learning about these things now, what chance does a newbie have.

Fool proof icons ftw!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You don't need to work in IT to learn a couple of tags especially if you use them a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I Don't fucking work in IT.

Also, if you are using firefox, you should try this.

Learning the keyboard shortcuts also makes things a lot easier.

Terry wrote: »
    I Don't fucking work in IT.

Cheers for that Terry. It doesn't have youtube in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Nice one, cheers for that, Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Seconded. Looks dead handy.

I dont work in I.T. either, I know a little bit of html, and that's about it tbh.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Youtube was something we added as an additional tag after requests were made for it. Its not native to vB and so isnt in their built in editor.

Anyone who can't or wont learn to how to use tags is really too dumb to be here and so acts as a self righting mechanism for the site too. :):)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

DeVore wrote: »
    Youtube was something we added as an additional tag after requests were made for it. Its not native to vB and so isnt in their built in editor.

Anyone who can't or wont learn to how to use tags is really too dumb to be here and so acts as a self righting mechanism for the site too. :):)

DeV.

It's fairly easy to add it too the toolbar though, I'd suspect the mod in use even came with instructions for doing so..

Perhaps the reason It's not made as obvious is the possibility of having huge threads with video's embedded.

Harsh imo and I have an IT degree before you call me dumb :mad:
    Though I don't work in IT.

I've just been over to the movie forum where spoiler tag is most often used.
    I've checked the stickies and the charter and no mention of how to use to use a spoiler tag is given.

So tell me DeVore, if a newbie joins today then what do you expect them to do?
    And this handy list of tags that tallus provided, where is that listed for members to avail of? Is it in every charter?

Or do they need to got to feedback to get it?
    I started this thread to request some handy icons that members could avail of. But it seem if you don't know then you don't deserve to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I think most people here find out how to use the tags when they see other people using them and track down the section on vb code themselves. If you want to know, it's not that hard to find. Ask in any forum and people will help you.

micmclo wrote: »

I've checked the stickies and the charter and no mention of how to use to use a spoiler tag is given.

And this handy list of tags that tallus provided, where is that listed for members to avail of? Is it in every charter?

I started this thread to request some handy icons that members could avail of. But it seem if you don't know then you don't deserve to know

Read his post again, he said anyone who can't or won't learn it. It is very easy and all you have to do is ask. For spoiler tags put the text between these two tags [noparse]
    [/noparse]. Is it really that hard to remember that? Also I've been asked a ton of times how to do youtube tags and if I see someone trying it who clearly doesn't know (like if they use the embed html from youtube) how I always tell them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You DID manage to learn them, plus this sign ":)" often means the author is being less then serious :)

The film forum should have an explanation for the spoiler tag alright (I could have sworn I read one there before).

One of the things about boards is that there are hundreds of these little things to learn and it would be impossible to explain them all to new users.

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If there's anything I've learned about people who are vocal about having I.T. degrees, it's that they're the ones least likely to know anything about I.T.

Just an observation...

Edit: that said, I don't know how much BBCode really counts as having anything to do with I.T.
    Document formatting hasn't exactly been the realm of gurus for quite a while now.

CuLT wrote: »
    If there's anything I've learned about people who are vocal about having I.T. degrees, it's that they're the ones least likely to know anything about I.T.

Just an observation...

It's a fair point- I don't deny I have poor technical knowledge
    I'm going to use the link in this thread for any tags I need in future

Apologies DeVore, misread your post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

agamemnon wrote: »
    Nice one, cheers for that, Terry.
    tallus wrote: »
    Seconded. Looks dead handy.

I dont work in I.T. either, I know a little bit of html, and that's about it tbh.
    I should point out that it will not work if you are using the enhanced editor when replying to posts, as right clicking in it treats it as a normal page. Or some technical jargon.

It is available on boards.tv.

DeV.
    Meow. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Some of the stuff is a bit outdated, but most of it is useful.
    Also see the "Posting rules" thingy at the bottom of every page.
    They have useful links.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Read the FAQ link that's on every page next between "User CP" and "Members List". AKA RTFM ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I Also, if you are using firefox, you should try this.

what is this firefox thing that you all talk about ?

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    what is this firefox thing that you all talk about ?

It's a web browser. An alternative to internet explorer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

It's a web browser. An alternative to internet explorer.

oh, okay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Coming next, lessons in Google.

Advertisement