Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed diesel & petrol in central heating boiler ?

Options
  • 21-10-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭

A friend who has a garage has a quantity of mixed petrol and diesel, from foolish/unlucky people who have put the wrong fuel in their cars. I dont know the proportion of petrol to diesel (maybe this could be estimated from the specific gravity ?)
    I want to know if I'm likely to burn the shed down if I try to run the central heating boiler on this mixture - or might it run too hot or explode etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Don't know for sure about central heating safety though I have done it myself.
    If its mostly diesel you can run a diesel car on it. If its mostly petrol try 10% mix with diesel in deisel car. I have driven 200 miles on a 20% mix once with no problems. I was worried that engine might not start when cold so I topped up the tank with diesel 5 miles before reaching my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

You're right, it would probably burn the place down depending on mix. Or possibly put a bigh hole in your boiler....I'm sure you could add more diesel to it and run it in a car/tractor without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Don't even think of it :eek:
    You are looking for an explosion in a car engine - you are just burning the oil in a central heating burner. I have never heard of anyone doing it, so I am not exactly sure of the result, but I've seen some bangs when diesel vapour ignites - I would hate to see it, if there was petrol in there as well.
    Even if it was safe, the burner would have to be re-adjusted each time the mix changed.
    Jim.

Explosions happen all the time in car engines, it's what makes them go.
    If the petrol ratio is too high the engine should refuse to start/run. Petrol needs a spark to ignite. The compression in a diesel engine dosn't raise enough heat to cause self combustion in petrol therefore spark plugs in petrol engines. Diesel on the other hand selfcombusts at relativly low temperature. Components in a diesel engine are heavier and stronger than in petrol engines as diesel actualy produces more of a punch than petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

2 Stroke, I am not quite sure what you are getting at :confused:
    I am very familliar with car engines - also with oil burners.
    You do not want an EXPLOSION when dealing with oil burners and boilers - so you do not use petrol. You can however mix diesel and kerosene. Any change to the fuel mix will probably necessitate readjusment of the fuel / air mixture.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

James, I think I read your post wrong. I thought you meant that a diesel engine would explode if you put petrol in it.
    I definitly would not recomend mixing petrol for an oil burner even though I have done it in the past. For one thing I doubt household insurance would cover any accidents as a result, probably consider it reckless behavour.

Advertisement