Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 07 - How did you fare out?

Options
  • 21-10-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

How did ye get on overall from the rwc? I think im up about €3 but i only made 3 bets. Ireland not to get through the group ( did it in may), england to beat france and then england to beat sa. 2 out of 3 aint bad i suppose!

What was the damage 19 votes

Made a tidy sum, drinks on me!
    0% 0 votes
    Broke even
    63% 12 votes
    Didnt do well, dont tell the wife
    15% 3 votes
    Got any spare change?
    21% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

How did ye get on overall from the rwc? I think im up about €3 but i only made 3 bets. Ireland not to get through the group ( did it in may), england to beat france and then england to beat sa. 2 out of 3 aint bad i suppose!

Still not 3 out of 3 though, ah well could be worse, it could be moodle!!! I'm lookin forward to bettin on Stan loosin his hair before loosin his job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

lost 10 on the outright winner,.... but had a field day on the under/over total points market.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Up near 3k!

Holer! :P

My bets consisted mainly on backing the PLUS handicaps and betting in running.

I can't wait for the next WC! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

only had the one bet,a fiver on the final and it lost,PIMPHO well done son

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DMG 1972

I would have done okay except for getting greedy and lumping on All Blacks to beat France in the quarter final, so ended up down a bit.

There was money to be made in backing the underdogs with the spread in most of the pool matches, bookies didn't seem to be able to get a good line on those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Backed France at 7/1 before the start. Backed the Boks at 8/1 at the start. When France got beat opening game I backed the Boks at 11/2 with Boyles as they were offering your money back if your team got beat in the final by the AB's. Backed Tonga on the handicap against England (won - just about last minute try). Backed Scotland to beat the Argies (lost obv) outright and on the handicap(won). So yes a very good RWC for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

badbrian wrote: »
    Backed the Boks at 8/1 at the start.

Wow, where'd you get those odds?!?

Backed the Boks myself back in July or so, somewhere in the region of 6/1... best odds I could find..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Betfair. After Comm. of course it's more like 15/2. They might have drifted because the French came in for big support before the start of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Only bet was laying NZ at 1.16 when they were 13-13 with France.

More for fun than to make money, don't know enough about rugby to be betting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Apart from laying New Zealand to beat Italy at 1.01 or something, I had a great World Cup although I steered clear for the majority. Layed France vs. the Argies twice but greened out the first time, and got Tonga and South Africa on their handicaps against England in the group. Did lose a small amount in the quarters on a handicap acca (got them all wrong) but luckily it was a very small stake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Made a small profit.
    Nice bet on the Argies -5pts to win, placed this at halftime when up by 12 pts

Took SA -15 to win in the final @ 2-1
    Felt unlucky to miss this.

And had two other bets on total points, won the first lost the next

I predicted that ireland would lose all their handicaps bets in the group stages, but i didn't bet as I felt evil doing so. Would of won the lot.
    I came to the conclusion the PP weighs the stake towards ireland (as most of the money is going here), so backing against ireland in the handicap is probably +EV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Sweet enough tournament. S.A. to win, habana to be top tryscorer, england to beat france and australia. Few tidy sums. I too made thet decision to lay n.z.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

5/1 Argies in the Playoff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

backed oz @12-1.useless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Great one for me, France were my real money makers. Their unpredictability is a boon when they're prices like 6/1 to beat New Zealand and a 1/7 to beat Argentina, so this is where I backed, going for the long prices. Also did well backing the underrated England. Strange feeling to be rooting for them though.

Argentina to beat France in opening game = win
    Ireland to beat France in group stage = lose
    France to beat New Zealand in the quarter finals = win
    England to beat Australia in quarter finals = win
    England to beat France in semi-finals = win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bosco84

Just a quick question, I put €50 on a double of South Africa winning and Habana being the top try scorrer. The combined odds were 80/1.

However I did not receive €4000, the bookie in question said that the bet was invalid as Habanna had an advantage over other players as he played more games.

Due to this I only received €1,500? Do I have a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Bosco84 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I put €50 on a double of South Africa winning and Habana being the top try scorrer. The combined odds were 80/1.

However I did not receive €4000, the bookie in question said that the bet was invalid as Habanna had an advantage over other players as he played more games.

That reasoning he gave you is a load of bo**ox but you might be in trouble because the two bets arent mutually exclusive so you cant do them in a double. Im not sure but I think thats probably the reason.

The logic is that one bet in the double affects the other ie, Habana scoring loads will help SA win. Ive explained this badly but Im sure someone more articulate can help.

My friend did a double once on O'Gara to be top points scorer in a match and be MOTM and when it came in the Bookie wouldnt pay out due to what ive said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Bosco84 wrote: »

Depends on where you saw the odds of 80/1. I havent worked out the exact figures but If for example you saw the 5/1 S. Africa and 12/1 Habana, and went into a shop and wrote the two down in a double, then you are wrong as you cant do a double where one outcome effects the other. Obviously as Eoghan says above, the more tries habana scores the more chance S. Africa would have of winning the world cup. So the odds on a double would be reduced.

However the excuse you were giving seems crazy. What bookies is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement