Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloone?

Options
  • 21-10-2007 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi
    What would Cloone be like for an active older couple?
    No kids,a few drinks in a local and a spot of fishing with lots of walks.
    They are in good health over 60 and drive.Looking to escape Dublin and they seen an small 3 bed house needing some renovation(he loves to do small jobs) right on the main street. They want a small community setting.Any opinions?
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Cloone is a pretty little village. Have just passed through it know the hinterland a little better. Theres not much to it, one maybe two (max) shops, a church, school I think and a couple of pubs. Nice setting on a hill, say there would be plenty of walks. People big into their horses here. Theres a couple of horse fairs during the year near Cloone ie in Mohill (the nearest town?) and a literature/storytelling festival this weekend. They have the new estate and golf course (if they are that way inclined) in Lough Rynn close by. They woudlnt be too far away from Carrick on Shannon anyway if they want a bit more a cosmopolitan (did I just say that!) living to dip into every so often. Theres the choice of restuarants, cinema, chain shops (tescos) there. And the boot sale every other Sunday! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Cloone is a lovely village. I'm sure the natives would be more than happy to have them get involved in the many activities they have in Cloone. Ballinamore is 20 minutes away and Longford is a half an hr away. There is lots of stuff to do if you go look if you are interested in getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Cloone is very nice with rolling green hills around it. If you're not limiting your search, you may also want to check out Carrigallen, Ballinamore, Mohill, Drumshanbo and Keshcarrigan. All nice towns/villages in the same general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Thanks guys fro all the great replies and yes i did see the word cosmopolitian mentioned.....was that refering to the cocktail:D

What would the pubs be like in cloone? Teenagers:rolleyes:?

Though in your 60's I suppose anyone under 30 would be a teenager!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Are there teenagers in Cloone? :D. I've never actually been to a pub in Cloone but as far as I know they're old men pubs. Cloone is about as much of an escape from Dublin as it gets. I know this because my dad grew up within walking distance from Cloone and we all have a break down there now and again

There are plenty of walks to be walked (Drumbeighra FTW) and there are a couple of lakes for fishing but not a lot else. Mohill is probably the nearest town, about 8 miles away, but you're not far from Carrick on Shannon or Longford either which have a fair few restaurants etc. for a bit of a nightlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

I know Cloone well, was born and raised there and still go back most weekends with my family. Two pubs, one quiet one which gets older clientele and one for the younger/GAA brigade. Both have music sessions on occasional weekends, but not every weekend. Both pubs however are very traditional and the owners very friendly and welcoming. Most locals are from agricultural backgrounds and still farm their lands but would have other day jobs to boost their income.

Cloone is unusual village in that it has had no building boom in during the last few years and has remained unspoiled. Plenty of walks, church, school, active community centre (bingo, aerobics, local committees etc), floodlit GAA pitch which host many national league games. The locals are very proud of the village and each year make a big effort for the Tidy Town competition which they have done well in recent years.

Fishing is very good in the area, Keeldra lake is just 20min walk, Kiltyfea lake an 8/9minute walk, its popular with tourist anglers. And if your looking to get a completely peaceful time there is a river 'behind' the village not accessible by road but where you and nature are side by side.

The only thing against Cloone is there is no restaurant in the village but within 20min drive you can take your pick of up to 10 or 12 excellent ones in neighbouring towns.

Are they planning on having the house for holiday home or for living in? Cloone can be quiet mid-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

They are really looking for a small quite place.They are selling up in Dublin.Have lived on a really busy road for years and have hated the crowds and noise for the last few years.
    They are not big fans of eating out as the aunt has food allergies.
    But love a quite drink.The fact that its so unspoilt sounds perfect.
    It really seems their perfect spot.They are going to have a look round at the weekend and stay with me a few days so can see it midweek.

Tks so much for all the replies I will let you know how things go with them!!
    If Cloone is not for them we can get some other ideas aswell
    Tks a Mil guys

Advertisement