Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks and Spencers in Limerick?

Options
  • 21-10-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I wanna when and where

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They've been saying that for years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Surprised you don't have one in Limerick, there's a second one planned for Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Marks and Spencers in lImerick!

I shall say nothing ...... :p

Where's that headstone ...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Current stories say Opera Centre or Parkway Valley..or possibly both. Opera Centre is delayed apparently while they try increase the size..again...so if M&S are in a hurry I would say Parkway Valley will win out. It seems the Parkway Valley is going to be huuuuge!! The sitre certainly gives that impression already and they;re only putting up lift shafts.
    However M&S prefer city centre locations so who knows..

Apprently they are very eager to open in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Parkway Valley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I guess the one being built beside the TX Maxx row?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Parkway Valley?

The waste land between the Parkway Retail Park and Singland Motors. How many more retail parks do we need in that area? The traffic is crazy as it is!

Oh. What are they going to put in that?!?! That area has reached saturation point for retail parks and shops!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Thanks to lack of proper planning it's nothing to do with us "needing" them. It's more to do with land developers and retailers being able to make a lot of money building them. While consumers have money to spend and county/city councils are more concerned with money than sustainable developement then this kind of lunacy will continue.

Remember this when people come looking for your vote in the local elections!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Oh. What are they going to put in that?!?! That area has reached saturation point for retail parks and shops!!!

Heard a lot of plans for that place actually, the most interesting being a ice rink would you believe.

• Advertisement

Its another shoppping centre with 51 retail units, 16 restaurant/cafe units, 2 financial units , Ice rink, Sports/basketball court, Theatre, Concert Venue, health centre, 1600 space car park under & over ground, Public park, Football pitchs, Skate park.

Not sure if the concert venue is still going ahead but the ice rink is.. As far as I know its the same guy who bought the Parkway shoppping centre this year that is devloping this (Liam Carroll). It is thought he will build a hotel, apartments and some retail space on the Parkway site...so it might balance out in the long run. The Parkway is a dump in fairness.

More to Parkway Valley than a shopping centre and all those amenities are welcome imo
    Full details here

A concert venue, interesting. This place is gonna be the biggest development Limerick has ever seen. Traffic wise its gonna be a problem but maybe there could be a second entrance coming from the tipperary road somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm sure there will be an entrance from the road where Subway and the Groody bar is....

hows about this then...

DRAMATIC plans to demolish the Arthurs Quay complex and a number of buildings Sarsfield Street and O'Connell Street are expected to be discussed at Limerick City Council's planning meeting later today. Developer Michael Tiernan is also planning to knock Dunnes Stores, Penney's, Burger King, Tim Martin's pub, Permanent TSB, Sarsfield House and Debenhams, for the development of a major mixed retail development on the same site.

Speaking to the Limerick Leader, Mr Tiernan, said he made the submission in response to a City Council issues paper and is currently awaiting feedback from the planners.

"Until they publish the draft city-centre strategy I can't comment on the finer details of the plans," said Mr Tiernan. However, city councillors say the development will transform the city centre.

Existing businesses are expected to be accommodated in the new enterprise, a 2,000 unit underground car park will be provided, and Arthurs Quay park will be remodelled and incorporated into the development.

Cllr Joe Leddin said he became aware of Mr Tiernan's plans during his term as Mayor of Limerick last year and intends to support his plans.

"There is a general consensus among all owners of the need to demolish those buildings, which are probably outdated and don't serve any purpose, and have larger retail units. It will also work in harmony with the Opera Centre when it is built," said Cllr Leddin.

He said he believes the development will receive a positive reaction from councillors later today, when it will be raised under the city centre's strategic report.

Cllr Jim Long is also supportive of the development, as he believes will lead to a complete regeneration of the city centre. "I've seen the sketches and like what I see. I understand that the plans will include a riverside walkway and three social amenity areas," said Cllr Long.

Cllr Kevin Kiely said he would welcome any development in that area, but as the development is at the early stage of planning, he did not wish to comment further.

It is understood that the planning application will be lodged with the City Council in early January.

Mr Tiernan, who was recently appointed by the Government to the Northside Regeneration Board, has been named Limerick's Social Entrepreneur of the Year for 2007 and is a founder member of Limerick Enterprise Network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Anyone know when CafeBarDeli is opening? Or is it open already?

Their website says June 2007, but I haven't found any online info saying that it is open or any reviews...

Knock Arthurs Quay.....why not! Its gone past its sell by date at this stage in my opinion

The Parkway shopping centre should be knocked imo. It is pointless now, I was in there recently and the place was practically empty. I don't know how any of the retailers (besides Dunnes) there can afford to pay the high rent that place charges. With Dunnes Stores a few hundred yards down the road it makes no sense to have another store so close by. I'm pretty sure too that the smaller shops in there are only living off of people who are there to shop in Dunnes Stores.

I think Dunnes are afraid to leave in the event one of their rivals like Tesco or Super Quinn move in. Rumours have been going around for a while that Super Quinn have their eye on the Parkway Shopping Centre as business outside in Castletroy is apparently not great.

Knocking the Parkway may actually help traffic congestion at the magic roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Seconded Bazz. The place is an absolute dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

As vkid has already said...
    vkid wrote: »
    As far as I know its the same guy who bought the Parkway shoppping centre this year that is devloping this (Liam Carroll). It is thought he will build a hotel, apartments and some retail space on the Parkway site...so it might balance out in the long run. The Parkway is a dump in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

I have it from a very reliable source that M&S have signed up to anchor the Parkway Valley SC, Apparently a spring 2009 opening date is planned! They were certainties for the Opera Centre aswell but thats probably more uncertain now as the project has been delayed.

I would much rather they opened in the city centre although seen as the city centre is experiencing rapid growth and development, theres a fair chance M&S will open a branch here aswell. The fact that the opera centre will have 2 department store units works in their favour aswell. The nightmare scenario would be another Dunnes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Spengman wrote: »
    I have it from a very reliable source that M&S have signed up to anchor the Parkway Valley SC, Apparently a spring 2009 opening date is planned! They were certainties for the Opera Centre aswell but thats probably more uncertain now as the project has been delayed.

I would much rather they opened in the city centre although seen as the city centre is experiencing rapid growth and development, theres a fair chance M&S will open a branch here aswell. The fact that the opera centre will have 2 department store units works in their favour aswell. The nightmare scenario would be another Dunnes!

The only thing mitigating against my next comment is that Opera isn't big enough; but WalMart are on the rampage at the moment and could be looking for an inroad into the country. Plus with no sign of the Continental flights disappearing, whatever about the Aer Lingus ****, it would be an ideal location for them

Walmart coming to Ireland? that would be interesting, they operate as Asda don't they.

I believe the whole Opera centre thing is falling apart but I do have high hopes for this Parkway Valley centre, its sounding better the whole time.

The new owners of the opera centre apparently want to incorporate the adjacent Granary into the shopping centre, but the Granary is a historic listed structure(it used to be a bonded warehouse, built in the 1760s) and any alterations to it would be both unwelcome and highly unlikely to be approved by the planners.

Overall the opera centre is reasonably well balanced proposal, a modern city centre shopping complex which also includes a significant amount of conservation of existing Georgian architecture. Personally I would be much more supportive of the opera centre which will inject new life into the city centre, where as Parkway Valley is just another soulless suburban snoozefest!

Maybe but im really getting so sick of waiting for the opera centre, its becoming like marks and spencers, at least the parkway valley centre is already well under way, I hope it wont end up as a 'suburban snoozefest'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

are there still people out there who believe that a) M&S will come and b) that the Opera SC will arrive in this century? do we get an opera house with it (just to justify this utterly stupid and ridiculous name)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Parkway Valley is going to be unreal!!! 6 cranes on site at the moment and they're only building the lift shafts. Talking to a crane driver i know and he says that there's gonna be a max of 11 cranes on site.

are there still people out there who believe that a) M&S will come and b) that the Opera SC will arrive in this century? do we get an opera house with it (just to justify this utterly stupid and ridiculous name)?

Ah, yeah! M&S will be be open in Limerick in 18 months/2 years, do you want a bet? As for the opera centre, the developers spent 5 years assembling the site, buying up properties on Patrick St, Rutland Street, Bank Place, Michael Street and Ellen Street. Went through the City council planning structures, then through the highly complex An Bord Pleanala process and got a favourable result. They managed to keep the project on track when on many occasions it looked like it would collapse. To invest so much time and effort in a project and then just throw it all away would be absolutely ridiculous.

The reason for the current hold up is that the new investors are deciding whether to go ahead with the current plan or submit a new application to incorporate the Granary into the complex, which I think would be a ludicrous idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Spengman wrote: »
    Ah, yeah! M&S will be be open in Limerick in 18 months/2 years, do you want a bet?
    How sure are you? how reliable is your source? what is your source?

Parkway Valley is going to be unreal!!! 6 cranes on site at the moment and they're only building the lift shafts. Talking to a crane driver i know and he says that there's gonna be a max of 11 cranes on site.

Was walking by that way today and it looks like there going to be some sort of underground car park possibly 2 stories there judging by the dept below ground level they were building at.

If it is going to be huge as it looks then they would want a good traffic plan for the area unlike the diaster that is the Childers Road Retail Park. They would definately need another entrance/exit other than onto the Dublin Road. Maybe an entrance/exit from the road close to the Groody Bar.

What's the bet though that the Council will not give a toss about traffic planning as long they get their rates from the place?

• Advertisement

How sure are you? how reliable is your source? what is your source?

Just wait and see!:D

Advertisement