Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password protecting a shared network folder

• 21-10-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Is it possible?

I do a lot of college work on my laptop and try to backup daily on to my pc over our network. The backup folder is shared so anyone on the network could access is and copy/delete/mess with files/folders.

Can i only allow my pc and laptop to access trough the advance sharing options? Had a go at this but not sure how it works.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

in the sharing options, instead of having "everybody" as the shared user, set it to an account logon on that PC. I only have XP home now so can't really remembe rhow to do it exactly. As far as i know you shoulld be able to do it. I doubt you would need a Domain Server for this. Surely not anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

jozi wrote: »
    Is it possible?

I do a lot of college work on my laptop and try to backup daily on to my pc over our network. The backup folder is shared so anyone on the network could access is and copy/delete/mess with files/folders.

Can i only allow my pc and laptop to access trough the advance sharing options? Had a go at this but not sure how it works.

Jozi

Ask your administrator to only allow you access to your shared folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I should have mentioned this is on my home network.

Webmonkey: not sure what you mean?

In the sharing option i can hit Permissions but im not sure how i would add the user login from my laptop to the permissions list (on the pc)

is there a 'Everyone' in the list? if so highlight it and click a remove button, don't know exactly what it called. Then there should be an add button. In this type the username of a password protected user on your computer.

Is this what you see: http://www-ssrl.slac.stanford.edu/computing/cng/pcsupport/images/directory_permissions.jpg

Donal

Here's the different dialogs i get:
    screencapow9.jpg
    The right dialog is from clicking permissions in the left one.

Will try deleting everyone in a new folder to try it out

• Advertisement

Yep try it out, and then add a user on the system.

That worked a charm, and so simple!

Wouldn't have taught that the pc would recognize the user name i use on the laptop

EDIT: Thanks for the fast replies!

Advertisement