Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Bennett

• 21-10-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Played for Southampton against Cardiff today and did well.

Hasn't gone to plan since going to England but today he showed what he can do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

First time this season he's played well for us, and he was only there because we were missing five centre backs. Still, if he can do as well as he did today in the future we'll be okay. Very few people can say they've kept Fowler and Hasselbaink quiet, let alone in the same game!

Won a few quid on a clean sheet as well, so I'm chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

How many times has he played.

Twice???

Would love him back at City. He was underrated by the league while he was here.

BTW whatever happened DEan Richards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Think he played in their opening 2 league games and their League Cup loss to Peterborough. Im a big fan of Bennett, but he was a fish out of water in all those games. Pretty much all the goals could be blamed on him.

Saints fans reckon from then he is the worst player ever for them, and that includes Ali Dia! Hope the corner is turned for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BTW whatever happened DEan Richards?

Retired injured AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

here is the view from the Saints Fans. http://www.thesaintsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28491

Edit;Just realised you need to be registered to read that site - see some Saints comments below.

As MrJoeSoap said appears he had a 'mare in his first couple of games, I thought he was decent enough cover yesterday, but he had one or 2 moments, I hope he improves, I like seeing Paddies in Saints shirts.

saints fans thoughts
    Alan Bennett has been slaughtered on TSF - being called the worst player ever to pull on a Saints shirt etc. What is the general feeling after his performance today? I personally thought that he and Dailly played well in the centre of defence.
    jawillwill wrote:
    He played well. I think if he can pull off a couple more performances like that when needed I think we should forgive him for his (extremely) shakey start to the season!
    i have to hold my hand up and say i was one of those who rated him **** after his first game, he played well today and im prepared to say hes doing much better, few more good performances and all will be forgiven
    Bath Saint wrote:
    He was solid when needed but made a few worrying backpasses and headers which were heartstopping moments.

Can't see him holding down a long term place
    I'm glad to say I was telling everyone to give him more of a chance. That Palace game was his first in english professional football.
    Saintandy wrote:
    He isn't quite off the hook yet. He had a much better game today but still pretty bad in parts.
    Saintandy wrote:
    I loved his little celebratory punch at the end of the game.
    mitch01 wrote:
    still looked shaky at times but played better than i expected him to
    Bailey wrote:
    I was one of the many on here to slate Bennett after his performance against Palace, but credit where credit is due, he had a good game today.

One or two times he got caught out but generally speaking, it was a very solid and efficent performance. It seemed to help having someone of Dailly's experience playing alongside him.

If he continues to go from strength to strength, then I will happily forgive him for the Palace game! :o
    The9 wrote:
    No, he was still rubbish, had to be protected and carried by Dailly and made one block which a better defender might not have had to make in the first place. It doesn't make him good.
    chivvy wrote:
    I think the fact he has Dially alongside him rather than a 5 ft 10 fullback (makin) made a diffrence and the fact that Cardiff striker where neither quick-powerful or good in the air also helped.
    The9 wrote:
    I'm not arguing that. But a one legged blind kid playing at centre back for Saints would show a lot of character too, and I wouldn't want him playing there on a regular basis either.

thats only a few comments HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Is this the lad thats on that awful TV ad for some college :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

apparently...
    The Guardian have him as man of the match and obviously did watch the match as they picked out Ifil as the person with the last minute block (unlike the OS!)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,2196531,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

I cant click the link though, that site is blocked in work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Retired injured AFAIK
    Brain injury or something was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sizzler wrote: »

Haven't seen that, have seen the woeful Kevin Doyle ad for The Star though, it's cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Brain injury or something was it?

Apparently it was dizziness as a result of ear problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sizzler wrote: »

Yes, he is in the ad for CIT.

Advertisement