Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retr0gamers top 100 games EVAH!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the original Soul Calibur was better than 2 and it should be further up the list, simply one of the best games ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

It's a good list, some fairly obscure ones in there. The PC is perhaps a little underrepresented, but personal opinions,YMMV and all. I'd agree with putting FFVI, SMB3 and Warcraft 2 above their sequels, and it's nice to see Megaman get some recognition, but 3 over the NES follow-ups, or the X series? Megaman 2 is classic, but to me 3 didn't offer much that wasn't improved upon further down the line.
    Also, Chrono Trigger is far better than FFVII. Something to consider if/when you order the rest of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

koneko wrote: »
    I think you'd dig Grim Fandango if you haven't played that already, it's kickass, I re-bought it a while ago and I'm pretty sure the version I have works on XP.

Mine doesn't. :( It seems like the problem is with my PC and not XP, so yes, Retr0, play Grim Fandango. Also Monkey Island 2, Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max. They're the pick of adventure games -- far better than Broken Sword. There's a ("helpful uncle" -Ed) out there ("in America" -Ed) that you should be able to ("legally acquire" -Ed) them from.

How can you contemplate making your top 100 list when you havent played the classic Lucas Arts games? Crazy.
    Hold off on the list until you have at least played Grim Fandango.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

retro, do you have a job?

the amount of games you have played is insane, where do you get the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Good choice of WipEout.

Do you rate Twisted Metal? "World Tour" being the best - thought I'll concede that it hasn't aged well.

How about the Burnout series, then? "Point of Impact" probably being the best.

I agree that the first Broken Sword should be on that list too.

Super Stardust HD?
    Gitaroo Man?
    Frequency?

Also don't forget to consider the produce of Clover Studios.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't played Frequency, Geometry Wars is better than Super Stardust HD and would be in the list if I had played it more, Gitaroo Man is amazing but the follow up Ouendan! is a lot better.

I thought the Megaman series went downhill after the 3rd game. The X series was good but not a patch on 2 or 3.

I've only played Burnout 3 and while it was great fun I don't think it's top 100 material.

Haven't beaten Okami yet so can't put it on the list and the same goes for God Hand. Viewtiful Joe is great but I think the genre is better represented on the list by Ninja Gaiden, DMC3 and GoW.

As for Quarrymans question I had loads of time to play all these games during college and school. Never really studied except before exams and was quite the genius so always did well. I haven't as much time anymore though, my PhD isn't going too well and I'm busy most days with guitar lessons, drama, getting a few sneaky pints in after college, etc. I still find time to play games during the weekend. There's nothing like lazing around playing games all day after a hard nights drinking :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose the biggest problem in playing games like the ones I mentioned, Need 4 Speed on 3DO and MSR on DC is that, for me, they still illicit joy at their playing, whereas people coming to them for the first time may see them as mere historical artifacts, precursors to later, perhaps better games, MSR leading to PGR4 and Need 4 Speed in a line from Test Drive on Amiga to Test Drive Unlimited on the 350.
    Many retro games find it hard to find an audience outside of those who owned them originally, or at least those who enjoyed the parnet hardware while it was current.

And I loved Quake for the single player game, I was never a big multiplayer fan nor, unfortunately, was I ever a RPG or RTS fan, never the less I've got a couple from your list in the collection somewhere, I'll get to them eventually!

WipeOut 3 SE was my favourite game in the series so far, nice to see Einhander in there and yet no Tempest 2000? As a shooter fan you really really should, the PS1 version just doesn't do it justice. Also no Road Rash games?

Also missing were Elite, on whatever format takes your fancy, C64 edition was best, Manic Miner and, oddly no mention of any of the Halo series???

Of the Burnout games, they stopped being racing games and starting being automotive beatem ups with Burnout 3, Burnout 2 was awesome, together with the original it fulfilled all my Ronin fantasy needs!

As for shooters, I'm with you, but I always had a sneaky love of a couple of Taito shooters, Ray Tracers and Raycrisis, two awesome games, a tad short perhaps but good.

And last but by no means least, The Raiden Project, and excellent collection of Raiden and Raiden II, a must have for the lover of the old school shooter.

One very last thing, where is R-Type Final and R-Types?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Q_Ball wrote: »
    I'd add chu chu rocket

Listen to this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

quarryman wrote: »
    retro, do you have a job?

the amount of games you have played is insane, where do you get the time?

I wondered about this for a long time and how the hell he paid for all the games.

I'm glad someone else asked :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am disgusted with the lack of *insertgamethatdoesnotappearonlisthere* on the list! Appox on thee, Retr0gamer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    @empirix: Rastan is a bit archaic

Maybe but a milestone for games in my book - a true classic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

@ciderman: I preferred 2097 to wipeout 3.

I've never played a tempest game but really should. Hopefully 2000 makes it to live arcade.

The road rash games were fun but got stale rather quickly, definitely not top 100 material.

I've never played Elite.

Manic Miner has aged and been well surpassed by newer platformers.

As for Halo, there's no chance it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the other classics listed. It's an above average FPS and nothing more.

As I mentioned already I never played any burnout other than 3 so can't comment on 2.

Now on to the shoot'em ups:

Ray Tracers and Ray Crisis are good games but outclassed by the first game in the series, Layer Section. I considered it but decided there were enough better shmups.

The Raiden games were good for their time but there are about 30 newer vertical scrollers that are far superior. Raiden doesn't cut it against it's peers Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai, Dodonpachi, Ikaruga, etc. Raiden Fighters Jet 1 and 2 might but it never made it outside japan and I've never played as a result.

As for R-types it's a retro collection not game. R-type is already high on the list since it's beautifully designed timeless classic. R-type 2 a bit of a letdown. R-type delta is on the list and is a brilliant game welk deserving of the honour.

As for R-type Final, how dare you even utter it's name. Ask me or any serious shmup fan and they will tell you that it is a bad game and an utter disgrace to the R-type legacy. It somehow managed to get better reviews than Gradius V in some publications and websites, a cardinal sin if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

on a pure shoot'em up / side scroller fun

How does Sunset Riders rate ? SNES version ?

River Raid for the Atari 2600?

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Super Mario World

Skies of Arcadia should be in the top 20

We need a sticky for this thread alone...

THERE HIS TOP 100

THE LIST IS CURRENTLY NOT IN ANY ORDER

hello! hello! *tap* *tap* does this thing work!

ondafly wrote: »
    on a pure shoot'em up / side scroller fun

How does Sunset Riders rate ? SNES version ?

Worse than the Arcade version which is no where near as good as Contra 3, Contra Hard Corp, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug and Contra Shattered Soldier and dozens of other side scrolling shoot 'em ups I can't come up with at the moment and many of them didn't make it on my top 100

Never had an Atari 2600.

If skies of Arcadia isn't on the list it will be considered but I think there are better RPGs on the top 100 so it won't be ranking too highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Glad to see Panzer Dragoon Saga on the list!
    I've nearly finished it and it would defo make my top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Double Dragon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

@L31mr0d: You sure are and idiot. Outrun 2006 is brilliant. It's not complicated but is a game constructed out of pure fun.

You're calling me an idiot for having an opinion?

Listen i'm not saying Outrun isn't "fun" but i'm asking did you find it better than Lemmings/Tomb Raider? I was only opening up debate so you could outline the reasoning for your ranking of certain games. I was not flaming in any way and don't appreciate being called an idiot for having an opinion about Outrun 2006 that I know a lot of people agree with me on, in that its a shallow, simple and short game. I played it for a weekend and found it fun. But then I went back to the likes of Flatout, NfS and ToCA3, which aren't serious racing sims but aren't stupidly easy and ridiculous either.

If your best defense of this game is to sling insults at me then I guess you are suited to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Grandia at 21? Nice:D

L31mr0d wrote: »
    You're calling me an idiot for having an opinion?

Listen i'm not saying Outrun isn't "fun" but i'm asking did you find it better than Lemmings/Tomb Raider? I was only opening up debate so you could outline the reasoning for your ranking of certain games. I was not flaming in any way and don't appreciate being called an idiot for having an opinion about Outrun 2006 that I know a lot of people agree with me on, in that its a shallow, simple and short game. I played it for a weekend and found it fun. But then I went back to the likes of Flatout, NfS and ToCA3, which aren't serious racing sims but aren't stupidly easy and ridiculous either.

If your best defense of this game is to sling insults at me then I guess you are suited to it.

I didn't mean any offense, just said it as a joke. I'd rate Outrun 2006 higher than Tomb Raider but lower than Lemmings. The game may be shallow, simple and short but it's an absolute blast to play and I am always coming back to play it for a quick half hour play. It's really a lesson that many developers should learn from. There's no over the top cutscenes, overly emo characters and a poor story hiding behind ambitions of pretentiousness or other unnecessary trimmings. It's just pure simple unbridled fun and that is all a game really needs to be. If developers concentrated on this first while adding to it later we wouldn't get rubbish like The Darkness, all presentation but an absolute dog to play. The fact that it looks gorgeous helps as well. It's the only reason I have to keep my xbox from being relegated to the attic other than the odd play through of Panzer Dragoon Orta.

@ Crowman: Glad you are enjoying Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's a remarkable game that really needs to be played by more people. Wait until you see how clever the ending is, it will be fighting for the number one spot on your personal list.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

@L31mr0d: You sure are and idiot. Outrun 2006 is brilliant. It's not complicated but is a game constructed out of pure fun.

"You sure are and idiot"?

Spellings or typos aside, maybe you've been here so long you've forget about the charter?

Do not reply to this post etc

Here's my top 100 in order now and even that order is shaky. I could spend for ever trying to organise it properly. Had to shave a few off the original list due to new additions and the fact that there was 2 more than 100 the first time (doh :rolleyes:). Apologies to Broken Sword fans. It lost it's place to revolutions other classic Beneath a Steel SKy which I enjoyed a lot more. There's probably some mistakes that will be pointed out (duplicates and such, not where a game is placed before you start quoting that sentence).

1 Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
    2 Suikoden 2 (PS1)
    3 Super Metroid (SNES)
    4 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    5 Gradius V (PS2)
    6 Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    7 Gunstar Heroes (Megadrive)
    8 Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
    9 Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Arcade)
    10 R-type (Arcade)

11 Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
    12 Doom 2 (PC)
    13 Half-Life (PC)
    14 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    15 Tetris (GB)
    16 Super Mario 64 (N64)
    17 Starcraft (PC)
    18 Super Mario World (SNES)
    19 Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
    20 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

21 Final Fantasy X (PS2)
    22 Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
    23 Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
    24 Osu! Takatae! Ouendan! (NDS)
    25 Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
    26 Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
    27 Soukyugurentai (Saturn)
    28 Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    29 Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    30 Ico (PS2)

31 Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
    32 Mega man 2 (NES)
    33 Bomberman (Saturn)
    34 Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)
    35 Grandia (PS1)
    36 The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask (N64)
    37 Einhander (PS1)
    38 Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
    39 Bubble Bobble (Arcade)
    40 Lumines (PSP)

41 Monkey Island (PC)
    42 Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    43 Contra Hard Corps (Megadrive)
    44 Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
    45 Puyo Puyo (SNES)
    46 God of War 2 (PS2)
    47 Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
    48 Beneath a Steel Sky (PC)
    49 Dodonpachi (Arcade)
    50 Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast, I played the GC version)

51 Tie Fighter (PC)
    52 Castlevania 3: Draculas Curse (NES)
    53 Pokemon (GB)
    54 Yoshi’s Island (SNES)
    55 Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3)
    56 The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
    57 G-Darius (PS1)
    58 Puzzle Bobble (Arcade / Neo Geo)
    59 Metal Slug 2 (Arcade / Neo Geo)
    60 Metal Slug 1 (Arcade / Neo Geo)

61 Samurai Showdown 2 (Arcade / Neo Geo)
    62 Axelay (SNES)
    63 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Megadrive)
    64 Warcraft 2 (PC)
    65 Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (PC)
    66 F-zero GX (Gamecube)
    67 R-type Delta (PS1)
    68 Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    69 Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
    70 Resident Evil 2 (PS1)

71 Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
    72 Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    73 We Love Katamari (PS2)
    74 Revenge of Shinobi (Megadrive)
    75 Nights into Dreams (Saturn)
    76 Fire Emblem (NDS)
    77 Advance Wars DS (NDS)
    78 Lemmings (PC)
    79 Mechwarrior 2 (PC)
    80 Soul Calibur 2 (Gamecube)

81 The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages (GBC)
    82 Odin Sphere (PS2)
    83 Wipeout 2097 (PS1)
    84 Loco Roco (PSP)
    85 Ikaruga (Dreamcast)
    86 Theme Park (PC)
    87 Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
    88 Call of Duty (PC)
    89 Streets of Rage 2 (Megadrive)
    90 Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Xbox)

91 The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princes (Wii)
    92 Robotron 2084 (Arcade)
    93 Thunderforce 3 (Megadrive)
    94 Zone of the Enders: Second Runner (PS2)
    95 Tomb Raider (PC)
    96 Rez (Dreamcast)
    97 Ghouls n’ Ghosts (Arcade)
    98 Salamander (Arcade)
    99 Shadow Warrior (PC)
    100 GTA: Vice City (PS2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

OH DUDE! Youve never gotten laid in your life have you?! LOLZORS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Final Fantasy X above VII

...controversial :)

(both great games in their own right of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

nice list to be honest:Dnow i feel really young compare to u guys!some of the games may only been heard on Wiki...:p

btw,retro,why dont you make them into different groups?in ACT,RPG,ARC,PUZ etc...i feel really unfair to some of the games,like i love megaman,but how can i compare that to my love of FF series??they are 'different'...

seems pointless for ranking your favourite games in order.i mean,the list is sounds like the 'all time favourite of Retro!' to me,so what's the point of ranking them?ah,well,if it's just for fun,of course i wont mind,just remember you are one of the boss here ,eh?:D

for the list:like i said,some of them are uncomparable to each other,but i saw something fishy....god of war2 is on the list but the 1st is not on the list?and i love Tales of Destiny most in the Tales series...they even remake the game!!i m sad...:o

my beloved Link's awakening in GB beaten by Minish Cap...:o

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    btw,retro,why dont you make them into different groups?in ACT,RPG,ARC,PUZ etc...i feel really unfair to some of the games,like i love megaman,but how can i compare that to my love of FF series??they are 'different'...

seems pointless for ranking your favourite games in order.i mean,the list is sounds like the 'all time favourite of Retro!' to me,so what's the point of ranking them?ah,well,if it's just for fun,of course i wont mind,just remember you are one of the boss here ,eh?:D

for the list:like i said,some of them are uncomparable to each other,but i saw something fishy....god of war2 is on the list but the 1st is not on the list?and i love Tales of Destiny most in the Tales series...they even remake the game!!i m sad...:o

my beloved Link's awakening in GB beaten by Minish Cap...:o

You know, from making this list up last night I have to totally agree that the games aren't comparable. The ones at the top which for me are pure as driven snow classics were the easy part but after the first 15 it just got very difficult to rank games because they really aren't comparable. You would be more accurate saying that any games within 10 games of each other are about the same quality but even then it's far from accurate. The games in their respective genres are listed in correct order of my preference.

The list is just an 'all time favourite of Retro!', it would be a bit rude of me to tell people what their own favourite games are (no matter how much I try sometimes, sorry).

Links Awakening only missed out because I have only played about 4 hours of it. You can also blame Sony for that because I was playing it recently on my PSP when the memory card crapped out losing my savegame and everything else on it. Haven't returned to it yet.

God of War 1 isn't on the list because even though it has a better story than the second game (which didn't have a story if you ask me but still walked away with the Bafta best story gong) God of War 2 took the gameplay and cranked it up big time by including some brilliant boss fights. Tales of Symphonia is the only tales game I've played, for shame but I hope to remedy that soon.

Advertisement