Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retr0gamers top 100 games EVAH!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

list is looking really good now. Even though I didn't really like Outrun it would probably make 90 on my list also as its a fun game to load up when friends come over who aren't really gamers. The laughs out of people when they start drifting and continue drifting for miles on end whilst overtaking people.

Kinda of inspired me to make my own top 100 list but its hard going trying to shake out the cobwebs a nd remember all those old PC, Amiga, Atari and Amstrad games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You know, from making this list up last night I have to totally agree that the games aren't comparable. The ones at the top which for me are pure as driven snow classics were the easy part but after the first 15 it just got very difficult to rank games because they really aren't comparable. You would be more accurate saying that any games within 10 games of each other are about the same quality but even then it's far from accurate. The games in their respective genres are listed in correct order of my preference.

The list is just an 'all time favourite of Retro!', it would be a bit rude of me to tell people what their own favourite games are (no matter how much I try sometimes, sorry).

Links Awakening only missed out because I have only played about 4 hours of it. You can also blame Sony for that because I was playing it recently on my PSP when the memory card crapped out losing my savegame and everything else on it. Haven't returned to it yet.

God of War 1 isn't on the list because even though it has a better story than the second game (which didn't have a story if you ask me but still walked away with the Bafta best story gong) God of War 2 took the gameplay and cranked it up big time by including some brilliant boss fights. Tales of Symphonia is the only tales game I've played, for shame but I hope to remedy that soon.

man:eek:you really should get a hand on Tales of Destiny!

Link's awakening is the 1st zelda game i ever play and finished:Dand when the time the Windfish flew out,i feel like my IQ has gone higher as well,man, a 7yrs old boy beated a hard zelda game was kinda rare at that time,i guess:p the puzzles were really brain storming!!
    Minish cap was a dissapointment for me,its just way tooooo easy to finish the game..zelda used to be a synonym of head-wrecking puzzle game you see...well,you can blame that on my genius though:D

god of war 2 disappointed me for making many small changes and didnt make any good big changes.
    i feel less sensation than 1 when i play 2,killing enemies etc,probably of some the sound and light effect ,and 80% enemies are the same IMAO :Dthe balance of the game 2 is sh*t as well,those who play through Titan will agree what i say,it need more skills in the 1.just my opinion:D

didnt mean to shoot out this much on the post,cant help myself!maybe because of u ,Retr0,a very respectful man to us:D (and i think ye would like someone to bump this up:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Retro any chance of a Retro's top 30 "I haven't yet but must play" games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ntlbell wrote: »
    Retro any chance of a Retro's top 30 "I haven't yet but must play" games?

I'll give it a shot. I'll post it in this thread during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Majoras Mask?
    You legend, I still have arguments with people about this game to this day. People just didn't accept it. I'd probably hold it in higher regard than Ocarina, even though Ocarina restarted it all.
    Better story ( did OOT even HAVE a story?), compelling characters, the 3 day time limit and the dark atmosphere did it for me in MM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hold Majora's Mask in very high regard since it's so different to any other zelda game. I think thats why a lot of people don't like it. They don't give it any chance since it takes a while to get into and realise the genius behind the game. The storyline is excellent and the soundtrack is probably the finest in the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No fair on Rtype Final, I really like that game, fair enough on Rtypes, not to sure about your judgement on Raiden and Raiden 2, but then, different strokes and all that.
    Was Star Wars KOTOR in there, if not it really should have been, how about Flashback?

But then, as you say, its a list of the games you played and consider classics.

Manic Miner is a classic by the way, lovely game, much better than Jet Set Willy, that feckin' Banyan Tree!

I would love to have the time to go through my collection for 100 best titles, but the last thing we need is a battery of lists, your's is perfect, it stimulates some interesting debate.

And if its shootemups you want, shouldn't Uridium be in there somewhere?
    Noiz2 is another good'n

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

<3 Suikoden <3

:)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No fair on Rtype Final, I really like that game, fair enough on Rtypes, not to sure about your judgement on Raiden and Raiden 2, but then, different strokes and all that.
    Was Star Wars KOTOR in there, if not it really should have been, how about Flashback?

R-type Final is a mess and many people would agree with me. It's not totally awful but there is so much wrong with it. The first level is one of the most boring levels in shmup history. There are long stretches were nothing happens and it's a problem that repeats itself through out the game. The game also features horrendous slow down. The third level is played entirely in slow motion at about 5 fps (no exaggeration) and completely ruins it.The rest of the game is spoiled by slow down as well. Level design is pretty poor as well especially for an R-type game. The only level that is good is the one with Dobkeratops as a boss.

The Raiden games are good but they just can't compete with the newer vertical scrolling shmups I have mentioned in the list.

As I mentioned earlier, I failed to finish KotOR and found it one of the most boring games I ever played so it's definitely not getting listed.

Flashback was good and I considered it but I think it fizzled out towards the end of the game.
    Manic Miner is a classic by the way, lovely game, much better than Jet Set Willy, that feckin' Banyan Tree!

It is a classic (I hated jet set willy as well) but it doesn't stand up the the Sonics, Marios and Klonoas of today.
    And if its shootemups you want, shouldn't Uridium be in there somewhere?
    Noiz2 is another good'n

Haven't played or heard of Noiz2 before. Uridium is excellent but again I feel the ones on my top 100 are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Your such a noob stephen. Not good enough for Kotor and placing Starcraft at 17th. Your banned from the lan and I'm going to experiment on your pc :P (what dya think will happen if I disable all your turbofans eh?)

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Your such a noob stephen. Not good enough for Kotor and placing Starcraft at 17th. Your banned from the lan and I'm going to experiment on your pc :P (what dya think will happen if I disable all your turbofans eh?)

:) My PC would probably run just as bad as it does now but without the louder than a jet engine whine from all the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

tell us about suikoden II and why i should bother with it. what other rpg's is it like?

Suikoden 2 should be played by anyone that feels the FF series is the epitome of japanese RPGs. Suikoden 2 is in a league of it's own. The story is far more realistic than many RPGs with tactics and battles based on actual historical battles. There is also very little reliance on magic to tell the story, more on characters and politics. The story is absolutely heartbreaking, it's about 3 childhood friends and how their world is torn apart by war, the ending is sure to bring a tear to the eye. The battle system isn't anything special but is very quick and painless with no loading times. You get a castle later in the game and can recruit 108 characters to your rebel army, each one with a unique look and character. These characters can either help you in battle or expand your castle by adding new rooms, shops etc. It's a wonderful system. There are loads on minigames that are awful but one of them, the cooking minigame, could have been a game in itself. Then there is Luca Blight, videogamings best badguy. An utterly ruthless and evil bastard who is completely off his rocker and goes on a genocidal rampage through a neighbouring country with his army. However you end up feeling sorry for him because of what happened to make him this way (unfortunately cut from the english versions since it's quite disturbing but you can read up about it online).

Advertisement