Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EirtaKon 2007 Mk.II - November 23rd to 25th - Dublin

Options
  • 22-10-2007 1:31am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

Time for a new thread to give everyone the basic and current details!

EirtaKon is an anime convention based in Dublin City University, Dublin. It started in 2005 and as you might imagine, this is the third such EirtaKon.

There's anime showings, panels, competitions, cosplay, traders, games - all the things you'd expect from an anime convention.

There's a lot more information available at http://www.eirtakon.com/ , but the basic vitals are:

EirtaKon 2007 Mk.II
    November 23rd - 25th
    Dublin City University
    Dublin

One Day Pass: €10
    Weekend Pass: €15 + Free T-shirt (while stocks last)

Friday
    • Pub Quiz starting @ 8pm w/ prizes - always a lot of fun, don't miss this if you're over 18!
    • there'll also be anime showings on in another room for people not interested in the quiz;
    Saturday / Sunday
    • Traders - people selling all sorts of merchandise; DVDs and there's going to be a gothic lolita company there this year!
    • Panels - discussions on a variety of subjects, from me trying to talk about fan culture, fansubbers talking about fansubbing, to a special Japanese guest!
    • Showings - the backbone of anime cons, I am personally constructing the showings list for this years convention, along with scheduling. You can expect more than just anime showings, there'll of course be AMVs, we'll be showing AMV Hell in its entirity (except zero!), other special fanmade videos, plus panel footage from Otakon!
    • Cosplay - Theres going to be a lot of cosplaying this year from what I can gather, so whether you're going to gear up yourself or be a photographer, you'll be sorted. There's also going to be a cosplay competition on Saturday, I'd say keep your eyes peeled but this was a resounding success last year and it'll be hard to miss this year too!
    • Gaming - there's a slew of games lined up, plus competitions to boot, Japanese games are the focus!

Also there is huge demand for the EirtaKon T-shirts every year, and some people are always disappointed because we don't have an infinite supply (costs us quite a bit of cashola upfront to get those things ;) ) so this year, if you pre-register you're guaranteed your T-shirt, so pre-register! Other than that, make sure you turn up Friday or very early on the Saturday to purchase your weekend ticket.

Convention Discussion Forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Good stuff...

Can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

I can't find a schedule anywhere so I don't know what time it starts each day...
    Does anyone know where one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Can't go, sadly- broke after going up to Dublin last weekend!
    Will hopefully go to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Im really looking forward to this, however, is it possible to get tickets at the door. I didnt see that option anywhere on the website, as I am unable to get the time to send in the application form for admittance.

Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure you can get them at the door, I have for the last two years, this is my first time registering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cult... you gotta show hinoi team - night of fire, and the pink panda - panda.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hanza: aboslutely you can register at the door, we just like people to pre-register because it gives us a rough idea on numbers.

Mord: dude they are in my diary of attraction for EirtaKon 2009 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

CuLT wrote: »
    to a special Japanese guest!

Hello, this is my college buddy John. Hes Japanese.
    I'll be at the quiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I'll be there tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I was watching the 4chan 06 Panel today and a girl sat down next to me. She offered me some pocky. I took some, said thanks and ate it. She asked me "did you ever have pocky before?" I said "Yeah". A slight pause ensued and I said "Not bad" she said "Sorry?" and I said "I prefer banana". To myself thinking back I must have sounded spoiled as she obviously only heard the I prefer banana part...well to you the girl who offered me pocky.
    I'm sorry

Usually hot girls only offer me a punch in the face! Anyway, Eirtakon MK II kicked ass! I was little disappointed that t101 was locked today (Sunday) but there were plenty of other activities. Bravo!

BTW: How many people ended up going?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Our total numbers hover around the 400 mark, registrations for the weekend number 374, not including some people who only came for the pub quiz and Friday showings (required no registration), staff, special guests, etc.

All in all, we were ecstatic over the turnout and that everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves immensely. We had some problems with the showings, but they didn't seem to generate a huge amount of interest anyway (apart from AMV Hell, which always packs the room).

CuLT wrote: »
    Our total numbers hover around the 400 mark, registrations for the weekend number 374, not including some people who only came for the pub quiz and Friday showings (required no registration), staff, special guests, etc.

All in all, we were ecstatic over the turnout and that everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves immensely. We had some problems with the showings, but they didn't seem to generate a huge amount of interest anyway (apart from AMV Hell, which always packs the room).

Yeah AMV hell was packed! The poor guy behind the door got hit a few times. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I hear there was a secret room where AMV Hell 0 was played.. cant say for sure - just throwing it out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

A very enjoyable weekend. A lot of folks appeared to have a great time.
    Well played to all the staff.

Can't wait for next year! I'm already deciding what to cosplay as

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    I hear there was a secret room where AMV Hell 0 was played.. cant say for sure - just throwing it out there ;)

WHAT!? Why was I not informed?
    I would have been a real sausage fest :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

MarkHall wrote: »
    A very enjoyable weekend. A lot of folks appeared to have a great time.
    Well played to all the staff.

It was brilliant I definitely shoud have woken up early enough yesterday to go.

Advertisement