Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf boards from the states ?

Options
  • 22-10-2007 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi i've been thinking of getting a new board, with the current Exchange rates im wondering if there is value to be got in importing something form the states?
    or would i just get raped on shipping and Customs ??
    Has anyone any experience on this or know of any good USA board companies that will ship ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I reckon it's only worth it if you're looking for something really special of one of the top U.S. shapers.
    If you're just looking for a run-of-the-mill bog standard thruster then you're probably better off just buying it here, or talking to a local shaper.

If you're looking for something special then it could be worth making a holiday out of it. I know a good few guys that have done that, done it myself a few years back. We got pretty cheap flights to California, bought the boards out there, had a great time and didn't have to pay customs on the boards on the way back. Sweet!

Check out http://www.iconsofsurf.com and http://www.mollusksurfshop.com/ some really sweet boards there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Be prepared to bend over if you do decide to ship from the US. You'll get the board cheaper alright, but the shipping will leave you looking for something soothing to sit on!:p
    I had quotes of as high as $1000 to ship one board, and that was over 5 years ago.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Not sure it's really worth the hassle man, i have a board i bought in san deigo but if you travel with it you need to get a travel bag to fit and there's always the risk of it getting damamged in shipping, i've travelled a lot with boards and they rarely escape without at least a pressure ding. I spend so long packing them too ! There are so many boards and some good shapers in ireland (power source in leitrim are a good example, very good i got my most recent thruster from them). Hell of a lot cheaper in the us though but a good board still aint cheap. Would be a great surfing trip though!

Advertisement