Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basset Hound

• 22-10-2007 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

have been looking at get one of these pups for aabout ten years...
    anyone on here have one, breed them or have any info other than the web has to offer...

looking to get female with a good history..

thanks for comments

dani

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

my GF has 2, amazing dogs. LOVE to eat.

What’s your situation? Will there be someone at home to care for the dog all day? if not you should consider getting more than 1 - they get lonely.

Something’s people may not realise;

1. They eat a lot - good quality food costs about 50euro per month
    2. They need regular grooming; Ears need to be cleaned out weekly
    3. Their nails need to be trimmed weekly also - one of few breeds of dog which walks on it's pad's rather that nails.
    4. They need a lot of care and attention.
    5. Males get to about 25KG Females 20-23KG
    6. They should not be aloud climb stairs
    7. They need to be fed more than once per day as they suffer from bloat
    8 They get obese easily so even though they look for food every minute of every day you need to only give them what they are due.
    9. They are not great walkers - they tend to wander and follow there nose and at times, even when halfway though a walk they can give up and plonk on the ground and not move for love nor money. (Can you carry a 20KG dog because she doesn't feel like walking? lol)

I don’t mean to scare you and I know every breed has there points to note but these are truly amazing dogs.

Breeders can be found on the IKC website. (there is normally a waiting list for purebreeds and the cost is normally 450 - 600euro for a basset)

See link for pics;

http://picasaweb.google.com/zwebs.net/BassetPhotos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

We had one until recently...poor old Moll RIP...

I would just like to second everything the previous poster said,especially the fact that they are big dogs...they shed a lot...and most importantly they do not like to be left alone,they can get very distressed,so if there's not going to be someone at home most of the time it'll need a companion.
    even when halfway though a walk they can give up and plonk on the ground and not move for love nor money

A pic to illustrate...

510537626_3bcfff1789.jpg

Hayley and Molly(Lhasa Apso & Basset)

141897793_eb17b39c5e.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

Great pics above and that first one is all to common to me!

There is also a rescue centre for Bassets, ASH Animal rescue. I dont think they ever get pups but it would be really good if you rehomed one..

jameshayes wrote:
    There is also a rescue centre for Bassets, ASH Animal rescue. I dont think they ever get pups but it would be really good if you rehomed one..

We've been trying to contact them but are having difficulty-no replies,as we will probably get another Basset and wouldn't mind a rescue

We've been trying to contact them but are having difficulty-no replies,as we will probably get another Basset and wouldn't mind a rescue

You need to call them / drop into them... I dont think they update the website / check emails alot.... I know they are really busy tho, they're always on TV3 looking for sponsorship and help etc...

• Advertisement

ASH haven't had a Basset for several months and they have a waiting list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

ASH haven't had a Basset for several months and they have a waiting list.

Really? Wow things must've changed a lot there, I was there two years ago gettin my doggy and we went to go into the office we passed a pen with one basset in it, he barked and then suddenly a whole stampede of them came barreling out. There were loads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

bought one this year from breeder in Carrick-on-Suir:

m4.jpg

m3.jpg

m2.jpg

m1.jpg

they are a beautiful breed of dog.

Lovely Basset

Have I seen him recently down at Renville park ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Lovely Basset

Have I seen him recently down at Renville park ?

yeah, that's her, likes her walks.

• Advertisement

Her ...sorry !

You might see our girls down there....and another Basset soon hopefully
    962919457_3f62a64996.jpg

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but i've heard that Ash now have Bassets who need homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

http://www.dogsindistress.org/

They have a couple of bassets needing new homes

Advertisement