Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rabbit!

Options
  • 22-10-2007 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just got a little rabbit yesterday. He's 4 months old. I've always had cats at home but I've recently moved out of home and decided to get a little rabbit for company.

Just wondering if any rabbit owners have any tips for me at all.
    I'm hoping to toilet train him.
    One thing that worries me is that I am out of the house all day from 7am to 7pm so he is in his cage all that time. I let him out at 6am to run around with me while i'm getting ready and again when I get in in the evenings he'll be let out until I go to bed at around 11pm.

He's alone in the room all day today in his cage but I left the radio on quietly for him as some people told me this is good for him.
    I just wouldn't like to think of him getting lonely or is this normal for them to spend time on their own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Hi Speedway,
    No it is not normal for rabbits to be on their own, they are social creatures. Best thing to do would be to get him neutered and get him a female friend. At the moment if you were to put in another male they would kill each other, if you put in a female you would have many rabbits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should really have 2 bunnies (same sex) to avoid babies!

2 females. Males will fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

really? crap cause i asked the guy in the store about that, saying that i would be at work all day and he said no problem. I did a bit of searching on the net and a few sites said that rabbits are usually more active at dawn and dusk, which is when i would be home and have him out of his cage with me. The last thing I want is for the poor guy to be lonely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mynydd

Yes, rabbits are very social animals.

If you want, you can get one bunny friend for your rabbit from me. We thought that we had 2 confused lesbians, but we have now two sets of baby arrivals. The poor chap got neutered last week.

It is more easy to sex them when you can compare.

• Advertisement

Mynydd wrote: »
    Yes, rabbits are very social animals.

If you want, you can get one bunny friend for your rabbit from me. We thought that we had 2 confused lesbians, but we have now two sets of baby arrivals. The poor chap got neutered last week.

It is more easy to sex them when you can compare.

If Speedway puts in a female his rabbit will try to mate with it. His rabbit will kill a male.

Advertisement