Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy Testing in Galway

Options
  • 22-10-2007 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'd like to get myself an allery test (food and/or skin) done, but i've no idea where to go or who's good etc.
    Can anyone recommend a place in Galway for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Freaky, I came here to post the exact same thing myself... I'll get back to you if I have any success finding a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I am moving this to the galway forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

I'm not in Galway, but have many an allergy!

The best place to start is your GP, ask them to do a full screen test, which involves a blood test. If you have any suspicions on what you're allergic too ask them specifically to be tested for that, in addition to the rest ie if you think you are allergic to dairy, wheat etc. I have to say though, I am a coeliac, allergic to gluten, and also I am lactose intolerant, and I have never received a positive result from an allergy testing, it can be quite hard to diagnose!

In addition to going to your GP, there is the likes of the York Testing, but is quite expensive. After going to your GP you should start eliminating certain foods, one at a time, to see if you notice a difference. Keep a food diary, start reading labels on food too. Manufacturers are getting a whole lot better at labeling foods highlighting the more obvious allergens.

A really great website for info on allergies is www.foodreactions.co.uk As I said, I'm lactose intolerant, and I discovered an enzyme on that website that enables me to have dairy again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i pmed this to Zapho already, but sure might as well post for all to see. there's a guy named Joe FitzGibbon who operates out of the Galway clinic who does allergy testing. don't know anything more about him than that really, just remember a family member saw him once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd second the Dr Joe Fitzgibbon recommendation. He is Galways allergy expert.He is at least a trained Dr and does medically recognised testing instead of the "hold a carton of milk, I'll press your arm down and if you resist you're not allergic" kind of hippy dippy testing. (I went to the hippy dippy person first unfortunately and I couldn't recommend it).Beware these people!
    Dr Dilis Claire in Alternative Health and Herbs takes a more holistic approach to these things if you're looking for a health overhaul .She's a fully trained medical dr too and I think she does allergy testing as part of her assessment if you need it. You'll probably have to go back several times and take potions and special teas and such things though but some people think it helps.
    If you have a specific allergy cornern though I'd go to Joe Fitzgibbon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement